UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Offered and Wanted Messages > Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps)

Notices

Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps) If you need help obtaining components, sets or equipment, post a message here. Private buyers only - no traders. No swaps.

Old 15th Sep 2018, 9:23 pm   #1
BAIRD 700
Triode

Smile Remote control (tv) tester wanted

Hello group, I am asking if anyone has an infra red tester, the type that was embedded in a bank size card which fitted nicely in ones breast top pocket. I have a Manhattan Freesat box that's given up the ghost and stuck on BBC News channel 200, as The cabinet on the remote is glued there is know way of scoping the O/P data!
BAIRD 700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Sep 2018, 9:26 pm   #2
Boater Sam
Dekatron

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.
Default Re: remote control (tv) tester wanted

Mobile phone camera?
Old 15th Sep 2018, 9:44 pm   #3
volte-face
Pentode

Like this? -

https://www.conrad-electronic.co.uk/...product/184977
volte-face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Sep 2018, 9:46 pm   #4
Bazz4CQJ
Octode

I think it will actually be near infra red (NIR). Think you can buy NIR sensor components quite cheaply. I vaguely remember getting involved with this when making a chronograph timing an object passing between 2 pairs of NIR LED's and sensors.

B
Old 15th Sep 2018, 10:03 pm   #5
MotorBikeLes
Octode

I have an odd infra red LED soldered to a BNC connector and left either on top of my 'scope, or plugged into channel 2. Switch on scope and point rem con at it, and you will see the data train immediately. There will be no doubt about it, and you may compare the data streams with a storage 'scope.
Les.
MotorBikeLes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Sep 2018, 11:41 pm   #6
Refugee
Dekatron

I bought a component tester and did not even notice that it has a remote test facility thrown in until I got it home.
https://www.banggood.com/DANIU-3_5in..._warehouse=USA

It was sat in a pub ash tray on the bench and I just switched on pointed a remote at it and it worked
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4340.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	169353  
Refugee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Sep 2018, 12:51 am   #7
Biggles
Octode

Default Re: Remote control (tv) tester wanted

I built an infra red receiver using a chip a few years ago to detect infra red transmissions. I think it was a TDA something or another. This was an overkill for testing remotes but I think it gave a carrier level output too which I was going to use for something else. It actually gave a data stream output and drove a visible led at the same time. As has been said, a mobile phone camera can sometimes detect the remote led signal, or even using it near a transistor radio on LW can give a good rattle when transmitting. Those little BNC jobs were available commercially a few years ago but it would be easy to make one from a simple photo-diode circuit, connected to a scope or even possibly an audio amp.
Alan.
Biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Sep 2018, 1:16 am   #8
AC/HL

Velleman do one, but it won't fit in a top pocket!
Old 17th Sep 2018, 11:53 am   #9
BAIRD 700
Triode

Sorry, but no content in text
BAIRD 700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Sep 2018, 12:31 pm   #10
AC/HL

Search on eBay
Old 17th Sep 2018, 1:23 pm   #11
The Philpott
Octode

Realistic used to do a Universal Remote into the rear window of which you 'fired' your selected remote, upon which an LED lit on the Universal Remote to confirm that it had learned the selected signal. If you can lay your hands on something like this it would at least confirm IR emission from the suspect remote (but not analyse the signal for you)

In my experience Remotes are rather reliable and it is usually the case that the appliance itself is failing to obey orders. (and sometimes this state of affairs is intermittent/inconsistent)

I don't want to go all 'IT helpdesk' on you, but have you tried unplugging the appliance for 24 hours and starting from scratch?

Dave
The Philpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Sep 2018, 4:35 pm   #12
ben
Dekatron

I've never bothered with an IR detector. For me, the old trick of using it next to a detuned AM radio has always shown up any dead remotes. In my experience the ceramic resonator (455 Khz) breaks one of its legs if the remote is dropped, giving no o/p.

The only other problems I've ever had have been battery leakage corrosion leading to intermittent operation, think I also had one which drained the battery in a matter of days. This from hundreds of remotes. The ICs and emitter diodes seem to be very reliable in my experience.
Old 20th Sep 2018, 1:50 pm   #13
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

I have a small tester that looks like a remote - came from SEME - remember them? It flashes and bleeps and is handy in the workshop when a customer brings his remote in. The camera on my 'phone is useful when I'm visiting customers.
Now the handsets don't have resonators it's usually the 'blob' or the print that fails due to acid fumes from leaky batteries - plus customer spillage, of course.
Manhattan boxes do have more than their fair share of internal problems - the remote control is often innocent.

PS What's a top pocket??
Old Yesterday, 7:31 pm   #14
gallowfields
Triode

hi, i have one of the type [credit card type] you are welcome to borrow if need be .just email your address and i will put in the post .are you sure the box has just not locked out with a power glitch
gallowfields is offline   Reply With Quote