UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Jul 2018, 7:40 am   #1
Outrun_uk
Heptode

Default Philips N1700 help please!

Hi all,

A friend has asked me to look at a Phillips N1700 VCR. He finally obtained one from Holland after many years of searching. I’ve managed to sort out the tape transport issues but the playback picture is just a mass of what look like vertical hum bars which move and change (see photos). I’m aware that the sound frequency will be different but as it’s a PAL machine there should be a picture?

As most of my experience was with VHS and some Betamax machines which usually display some sort of picture that gives clues to where the fault is I’m a bit stumped. I’ve ruled out the modulator and tuner by looking at the video signal further back and also cleaned the heads (which visually look ok). Reseated and checked the connections of all the plug in modules too.

The other problem is the tapes we have are an unknown but they all display the same type of picture.

Any help would be appreciated, it would be nice to see this running.

Thanks,

Kev
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BA458A86-E239-43D3-9776-127DCC18CCE4.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	165579   Click image for larger version

Name:	022A23A6-679D-414E-BAA0-8019C506110B.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	165580  
Old 5th Jul 2018, 9:55 am   #2
Studio263
Octode

Default Re: Philips N1700 help please!

That's the dropout compensator endlessly recycling the last "good" line of video because nothing better is coming off the tape. The usual reason, assuming that the tape contains a known good recording, is worn out or faulty heads.
Old 5th Jul 2018, 2:49 pm   #3
Philips210
Nonode

Hi.

Maybe worth trying to record something and then playing back.

Regards
Symon.
Old 8th Jul 2018, 10:29 am   #4
Outrun_uk
Heptode

Thanks chaps, I’ts a bit difficult without a known good recording but will try making and playing back a fresh recording, I think he has a NOS sealed tape. If it could be the heads then I’m guessing it will be the end of it unless a second machine becomes available. Will report back, I think he will be bringing it again one night this week.

Thanks,

Kev
Old 8th Jul 2018, 7:20 pm   #5
Mikey405
Octode

Hi Kev.

Just a thought but when you play the tape back, do you get any sound? If none or it's distorted / slow / fast then it may be that the tape is just blank or it was recorded on a different format machine.

As for the NOS tape, if it's an Agfa or BASF tape then you have a fair chance of recording something on it without it sticking and squealing. If it's a Scotch or Philips tape then you may run into problems with the tape sticking to the drum and guides due to the lubrication having evaporated over the last 40-odd years.

Thanks Kev.

Kind regards.

From Mike.