UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Jul 2021, 1:54 pm   #21
Terry_VK5TM
Nonode

Default Re: What is QRP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcMahon View Post
CW I assume is Continuous Wave but in simple terms what is it in terms of radio reception/transmission operation ?

David
CW is Carrier Wave, not Continuos Wave.

Morse is mostly keyed carrier wave i.e. the rf is on and off for the periods of the morse characters and sometimes it is generated by audio tones.

To get the tone you hear on the receive end, the receiver is tuned around 700 or 800Hz off the transmit frequency.
Old 23rd Jul 2021, 3:09 pm   #22
Station X

Or you set the Beat Frequency Oscillator (BFO) 800Hz from the IF Frequency (sic).

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 23rd Jul 2021, 3:12 pm   #23
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Station X View Post
Or you set the Beat Frequency Oscillator (BFO) 800Hz from the IF Frequency (sic).
Yes, with a decent CW filter in the receiver, if you tuned 800Hz off the carrier it would be all but inaudible!
Old 23rd Jul 2021, 3:17 pm   #24
ms660
Dekatron

In some receivers the frequency of the BFO isn't near the IF.

Lawrence.
Old 23rd Jul 2021, 3:21 pm   #25
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms660 View Post

Lawrence.
True: the R1155 BFO was operated at half the IF, and used the second-harmonic.

This reduced the tendency for the BFO frequency to be 'pulled' by the high level IF signal. Quite a cunning trick!
Old 23rd Jul 2021, 3:26 pm   #26
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry_VK5TM View Post
Quote:
CW I assume is Continuous Wave but in simple terms what is it in terms of radio reception/transmission operation ?

David
Thank you Terry, that now makes a lot more sense to me.

David
Old 23rd Jul 2021, 3:29 pm   #27
ms660
Dekatron

Then there's MCW.

Lawrence.
Old 23rd Jul 2021, 3:40 pm   #28
Station X

I believe the BFO in the Codar T28 operated at half IF frequency. The IF frequency was odd too, the set using a retuned Mullard Module.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 23rd Jul 2021, 4:56 pm   #29
Aub
Nonode

And for the romantically inclined, 88 is love and kisses 😄. YL is young lady, XYL is the wife. I wonder what ex wife would be - XXYL ?

Aub
Old 23rd Jul 2021, 6:10 pm   #30
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry_VK5TM View Post
Quote:

David

Thank you Terry, that now makes a lot more sense to me.

David
I think your first guess was right David, it was always "Continuous Wave" in the old books I read. A strange choice to mean Morse, as no information is sent unless you key it then it ceases to be continuous.

It's the same with "Single Sideband" as that term completely ignores the fact that the carrier is suppressed which arguably is the attribute that sets it apart.
Old 23rd Jul 2021, 6:13 pm   #31
Radio Wrangler

Quote:
Lawrence.
Indeed!

You want the incoming signal to go right down the middle of the IF passband in order to get he best sensitivity and the best rejection of other frequencies.

THEN you want the BFO (or its second harmonic) to be offset from the IF centre by an amount equal to the audio tone you wish to hear the signal as. Different people have different hearing and different preferences, which is one of the reasons for a BFO control (the other one is that on early sets it would have been too costly to try to make it all accurate enough to be fixed)

With modern synthesised sets of high accuracy in frequency control, you get the fun of defining what frequency the display should show when demodulating SSB

With CW you also have the difference between IF centre and zero beat frequency.

David
Old 23rd Jul 2021, 6:18 pm   #32
ms660
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
Quote:
Lawrence.
Indeed!

You want the incoming signal to go right down the middle of the IF passband in order to get he best sensitivity and the best rejection of other frequencies.

THEN you want the BFO (or its second harmonic) to be offset from the IF centre by an amount equal to the audio tone you wish to hear the signal as. Different people have different hearing and different preferences, which is one of the reasons for a BFO control (the other one is that on early sets it would have been too costly to try to make it all accurate enough to be fixed)

With modern synthesised sets of high accuracy in frequency control, you get the fun of defining what frequency the display should show when demodulating SSB

With CW you also have the difference between IF centre and zero beat frequency.

David
I should have said nowhere near the IF as in hundreds of kHz away like it was in my R1155.

Lawrence.
Old 23rd Jul 2021, 6:22 pm   #33
ms660
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aub View Post
And for the romantically inclined, 88 is love and kisses ��. YL is young lady, XYL is the wife. I wonder what ex wife would be - XXYL ?
If it's a divorce job I would say TSB, which is nothing to do with a well known Bank.

Lawrence.
Old 23rd Jul 2021, 8:55 pm   #34
wireless_john
Heptode

The military in my time used Z Codes and when it was a question, it was preceded by INT.

So INT ZBA meant 'What is the delay'. I only ever used them on teleprinters but the radio operators used them with Morse code as well.

Sometimes it took so long to work out what was being said that it may as well just have been sent in English!

John
Old 23rd Jul 2021, 9:17 pm   #35
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

One QRP technique that always fascinated me but alas never caught on was 'coherent CW' - an interesting blend of human and 'digital'.

In essence the idea was to use a clock-signal synchronised between the sender and receiver, but locked to the speed of the [manually generated] CW: this clock was used to only unsquelch the receiver when there was a possibility of a 'dot' [or three dots - a dash] having been sent.

See

https://midnightdesignsolutions.com/ccw/

and

http://www.arrl.org/weak-signal-modes

Philosophically, I don't see that there's much difference between using a valve/semiconductor amplifier or maths-and-a-computer to improve your weak-signal/low-power communications-efficiency.

Last edited by G6Tanuki; 23rd Jul 2021 at 9:31 pm.
Old 23rd Jul 2021, 9:42 pm   #36
Ian - G4JQT
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Tanuki View Post
One QRP technique that always fascinated me but alas never caught on was 'coherent CW' - an interesting blend of human and 'digital'.

In essence the idea was to use a clock-signal synchronised between the sender and receiver, but locked to the speed of the [manually generated] CW: this clock was used to only unsquelch the receiver when there was a possibility of a 'dot' [or three dots - a dash] having been sent.

See

https://midnightdesignsolutions.com/ccw/

and

http://www.arrl.org/weak-signal-modes

Philosophically, I don't see that there's much difference between using a valve/semiconductor amplifier or maths-and-a-computer to improve your weak-signal/low-power communications-efficiency.
Drifting off topic, but QRSS (QRS, send more slowly, with an extra S for VERY slowly - 3 second dots are typical) has I think has superseded CCW. Commonly only 200mW or less is used and the PC sound card pulls the signal out of the noise. (QRSS is not an official Q-code, but most amateurs know what it means.)

My 10140 kHz QRSS 200mW into a bit of wet string has been spotted as far as Alaska and New Zealand. It's also a great mode to actually clearly see weird stuff on the traces like aircraft reflection, aurora and meteor pings.
Old 24th Jul 2021, 12:32 am   #37
Terry_VK5TM
Nonode

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Station X View Post
Yes, with a decent CW filter in the receiver, if you tuned 800Hz off the carrier it would be all but inaudible!
True, but 'in the very beginning' - in my explanation above, I was keeping it as it was originally done before all the good stuff like narrow filters and BFO's etc arrived.
Old 24th Jul 2021, 3:32 am   #38
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireless_john View Post
The military in my time used Z Codes and when it was a question, it was preceded by INT.
INTerrogative
The American military liked to use "Interrogative" when using fone.
Old 24th Jul 2021, 5:28 am   #39
Radio Wrangler

Quote:
Not quite. The receiver has to handle the propagation delay from transmitter to receiver, along with slight disagreement in the settings of local clocks. The clocks have to run in reasonable synchronism, but there may easily be differences in absolute time.

So what's needed for best reception is a cross-correlator looking for dot and dash period pulses as well as for the appropriate space lengths (there is information content in the space lengths and they reinforce the recognition of the pulse periods.

An auto-correlator can be used on ordinary CW, but a cross-correlator offers advantages.

So the receiving station and the transmitting station need access to high stability frequency references. Short of having a rubidium or caesium standard handy, GPS derived frequency standards were just coming available as CCW was getting interesting.

From a communications engineering point of view, Morse sent in A1A at a very regular speed has a comb-like spectrum, and a timing-synchronised receiver can be made to have a comb-like filter characteristic matched to it. A correlator acts as a bank of time-offset filters and tells you which offset best fits the signal. In the end, with the receiver closely matched to the signal, the receiver bandwidth is just enough for the information rate of the message content. Matched filtering is fascinating.

Random jitter in the propagation delay, especially with ionospheric propagation modes becomes a limitation, spreading the comb components and requiring less optimal RX bandwidth.

David
Old 24th Jul 2021, 5:29 pm   #40
Keith
Heptode

Quote:

I think the difference is a few billion transistors - 2.6 billion in an Intel I7 alone!
Closed Thread