UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Nov 2019, 10:49 pm   #1
Dr. Kilovolt
Retired Dormant Member

Default 62030 Mercury arc rectifier.

Hi all,

I've noticed there are a few people knowledgeable about mercury arc rectifiers on this forum, so I'll try to ask here.

I'm trying to obtain some more information on a small bulb made by Chirana (Czechoslovakia) most likely in the 50s (see attached photo). The type number is "62030". The bulb is around 35cm (14") tall excluding the cathode lead.

My first question is about the ratings. I wasn't able to find any information on the numbering. The only thing I'm sure about is the first number (6) means the number of anodes. The last number (30) might be maximum cathode current, but I don't know. Does the current look about right for this small rectifier?

Second question is about cooling. The mounting frame doesn't quite look that it was made for a fan installation beneath. Do these small rectifiers need fan cooling or do they get away with natural convection?

The third question concerns a kind of "rolled up" sheet of metal, which can be seen emerging from the center of the mercury pool, see attached photos. Its top is slightly below the mercury level, but the surface tension is uncovering it. When energized, the cathode spot tends to settle on this metal and remain still there instead of riding along the surface. Is this a normal behavior and can the rectifier be operated up to full current without concern?

Thanks a lot for any help!

-Jan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mar1.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	193592   Click image for larger version

Name:	mar2.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	193593   Click image for larger version