UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Nov 2019, 8:21 pm   #61
Levente
Hexode

Default Re: Vintage Radio and Phonograph cutter schematic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms660 View Post
Just looking back at Post#41, only slight hum was reported, I would check everything done since then and also determine whether the hum is 50Hz (mains, heaters etc) or 100Hz (HT ripple)

Lawrence.
I believe that the hum is 50 cycle. Will re check again, might change the first 8A electrolytic cap too and will test this in another room further away from any other appliances.
Old 10th Nov 2019, 10:38 am   #62
Levente
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levente View Post
Quote:
Just looking back at Post#41, only slight hum was reported, I would check everything done since then and also determine whether the hum is 50Hz (mains, heaters etc) or 100Hz (HT ripple)

Lawrence.
I believe that the hum is 50 cycle. Will re check again, might change the first 8A electrolytic cap too and will test this in another room further away from any other appliances.
CORRECTION:

I think is 100Hz hum. Now I did change the 8A cap also. Now the filter and reservoir cap is the same. Made a small rail for that as It was easier to tie several leads to the rain instead of directly to the cap.

Now, volume down no hum. Volume up massive 100Hz hum.

I think these capacitors I have are not suitable for this.

Shame I only have 275VDC and 350VDC rated one and not 450V.

Would need to order a proper filter and reservoir cap....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0040.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	193469   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0039.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	193470  
Old 10th Nov 2019, 1:05 pm   #63
ms660
Dekatron

No hum with the volume control turned down and massive hum with volume turned up suggests 50Hz hum, sometimes caused by a screened lead that has lost it's ground connection or a control grid that's floating, ie: no or extremely high resistance to ground, other causes could be heater/cathode leakage in a valve.

Hum problems can be difficult to diagnose via the internet.....Is the hum level the same on Radio and Pickup?

Lawrence.
Old 10th Nov 2019, 2:11 pm   #64
Levente
Hexode

Quote:
No hum with the volume control turned down and massive hum with volume turned up suggests 50Hz hum, sometimes caused by a screened lead that has lost it's ground connection or a control grid that's floating, ie: no or extremely high resistance to ground, other causes could be heater/cathode leakage in a valve.

Hum problems can be difficult to diagnose via the internet.....Is the hum level the same on Radio and Pickup?

Lawrence.
Thanks Lawrence. I just googled a 100Hz hum and compared it and it is the same by the sound. Now I disconnected the two electrolytic 8A and 8B. Will order two new can ones.

Until that will arrive can not do anything further sadly. I thank you so much for your help Lawrence. I am learning so much from you here seriously, I owe you one.

Have a great weekend and will post here again when the cap's are her.

Ordering from hificollective UK proper filter cap's.

and forgot to answer your question, hum level is the same except the external speaker position on the switch.

Last edited by Levente; 10th Nov 2019 at 2:18 pm.
Closed Thread