UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 10th Mar 2007, 11:26 pm   #1
PJL
Dekatron

Default Murphy A122 is heavy smoker...

Cleaned the switches, replaced the audio coupling capacitor and checked the HT and output valve cathode current but after a few minutes a smoke cloud appeared from the screen/HT dropper.

Refering to trader sheet 962. I couldn't work out what could be taking the current and eventually traced it to the waveband switch which was breaking down from switch 18 to the aluminium spacer. A clean and mica washer fixed it.

A good example of why it is not wise to leave valve radios unattended.
Old 11th Mar 2007, 12:19 am   #2
radiohm
Pentode

Default Re: Murphy A122 is heavy smoker...

Could have been nasty. A lesson to us all not to get complacent with our equipment.

Regards.

Mike.
Old 11th Mar 2007, 2:04 am   #3
paulsherwin

Waveband switch faults aren't that uncommon. especially with vhf sets.

It's certainly a good idea not to leave sets unattended until thy've had time to prove themselves

Paul
Old 11th Mar 2007, 10:44 am   #4
Simon Gittins
Heptode

I have an A122 on the bench at the moment, basically working after changing the audio coupling capacitor and HL41DD.

I shall certainly check the waveband switch!

As mentioned on Paul's main site, the rubber wiring tends to deteriorate on this set; mine will be using up some of the silicone-rubber wire I bought at Harpenden.
Closed Thread