UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Aug 2006, 3:10 pm   #1
Bev and Andy
Retired Dormant Member

Default Reel to reel:Questions

Question -1,what is calibration,why do you have to calibrate for different tapes? Q2 why de-magnetize heads Q3 1/2inch versus 1/4inch ?Q4 having just been on Ebay am bewillderd by the number/choice of models,Fostex 8track orTeac tascam.Q5 whats a dx-8 nr module?Sorry lots of questions there,but I am learning from scratch,and so far you cyber wizards have come up trumps.Oh one other thing on my travels thro web land,it seems there are a lot of semi pro anolog recording buffs out there,any web sites you know of for acolyte and reel to reel gurus to share and learn? thanks for all your input so far(top cap thanks mate) ANDY
Old 10th Aug 2006, 3:37 pm   #2
TIMTAPE
Octode

Default Re: Reel to reel:Questions

Q1. Put simply, the tape recorder needs to play back exactly, or as close to, what was fed into it. That requires adjustments to get it right and even then it tends to go out of alignment after a lot of use.
Calibration also involves making the machine play back faithfully and exactly according to a standard. If it faithfully plays back to that standard then you can now set it up to also record to that standard by comparing what went in to what came out.
Q2. The whole tape thing is magnetic. But to work well the tape heads especially must not become magnetised as in becoming like a bar magnet where there is a north and south pole. So every now and then you "demagnetise" these parts with a tool.
Q3. A wider tape gives better sound, a lot like a bigger film gauge gives a better picture. But it's only true up to a point. Normally nobody records wider than about 1/4" per track as other problems start to come into play.
Hope this helps.
I think there is some good basic stuff in Wikipedia online.
Tim
Old 10th Aug 2006, 4:08 pm   #3
TIMTAPE
Octode

Default Re: Reel to reel:Questions

Further to Q1. Recordings on different tapes dont always replay the same. Some need to be magnetised harder than others to give the same level replay. Some need more "bias" signal in recording etc. Good tape machines are adjustable to compensate for this. Multitrack machines are worst because the same set of adjustments needs to be repeated for each track. It can take a lot of time! Therefore money. I almost was going to say "go digital" but caught myself just in time!
Tim
Closed Thread