UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Jul 2006, 1:59 pm   #1
kevanf1
Retired Dormant Member

Question Tandberg 731

Hi everybody I'm new on here and this is my first post.

I found the forum after Googling for information about a Tandberg 731 reel to reel tape recorder.

I picked this deck up a few years ago from my local uni (Wolverhampton). It was destined to be skipped so I stepped in. I have powered it up and tried a tape which did work. This was around 7 years ago though and I seem to remember somvague problems with sound output. Now, I'm not an electronics expert, far from it in fact. So, I don't really know what I would be doing if I opened her up. Give me a PC and I'll build it, repair it, set it up etc. I have followed a circuit diagram in the past and built myself a fishing bite alarm. That is the sum of my electronics knowledge.

With the above in mind is there anybody living close to me (Cheslyn Hay in Staffordshire) who would be willing to take a look at this lovely old bit of kit. I would love to know if it was worthwhile then progressing to getting it restored.

Any help on this matter would be very gratefully appreciated
Old 28th Jul 2006, 8:54 am   #2
DOFFERY
Retired Dormant Member

Question Re: Tandberg 731

Hi Kev,

Thought I knew all the Tandberg models but a 731? Perhaps my memory is going , could it be a model 7 ,ie. valved model from the 60's with the two unique magic eye's . Just interested Kev , details would be apreciated.

Regards.

Doffery
Old 28th Jul 2006, 10:50 am   #3
reelguy
Heptode

Default Re: Tandberg 731

Yes, Reelguy here,
I must admit that I haven't heard of a Tandberg 731 either ?
Only thing I could think of was that it may have been one of those
language school specials.
It would be interesting to know more.
Any chance of a Pic Kevin ?

Peter W Reelguy
Old 28th Jul 2006, 11:45 am   #4
kevanf1
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Tandberg 731

Sure, I'll do some pic's of it. It's extremely dusty at the moment but I'll give it a clean over and get the camera out this afternoon. It'll be a good excuse to test out my new Nikon (D50) anyway

A bit of background for now. I got this because it was destined for the skip at a local university I was working at. It had been dumped in a computing department storeroom so I'm not too sure where it actually came from to start with. The campus was purely a business one though. I'm not sure how old it is but I don't think it is a valve model. I'm pretty sure it's all transistor. Definitely model 731 I've checked on the little plate. I'd say it's possibly mid to late 70's?
Closed Thread