UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 15th Nov 2006, 5:43 pm   #1
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.
Default DAC90 colour info

Following the Sets Wanted thread re a Red DAC90 [closed 11/11/06]
I found some more info today while researching Radiograms.

The Radiophile Mag [22] for June/July 1989 has 3 articles on the DAC90 ie Technical/Why Is It a Classic? and the Chas Miller view. In the October/November issue [23] Chris Price then refers to an old set he examines to find Cherry Red paint behind the knob from a set that had been stripped-a DAC90A [serial No 10/31037] and fitted, appropriately enough, with red series E octals! The view [with the Editor] here is that
the red DAC was sprayed red "for some exhibition". It was known to have been exhibited twice at Steam Fairs and once at an Agricultural Fair!
Mr Price had been reminded about the red set by a concurrent article in the BVWS Journal which I tracked down to Vol 14 No2 June 89
ie "EAC91 and Export AC91 had one MW band and two SW bands and were made for Indian and South African markets-and maybe others. One has been seen moulded in the usual brown Bakelite but factory sprayed in bright red."
Also re the DAC90 "A Green 'Marble' case was seen at the 1946 Show but it was probaly a one-off".
Nothing about special colours for retired employees though.

Thought this might be of interest although I can't get that excited about rare colours myself. Dave
Old 15th Nov 2006, 6:19 pm   #2
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.
Default Re: DAC90 colour info

Sorry didn't make it clear that Mr price had renovated the set and sprayed it all red using the colour on the knob as a guide, so it was actually exhibited by himself at that time. Dave
Old 19th Nov 2006, 8:57 pm   #3
Carl Glover
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: DAC90 colour info

There was a Solid red DAC90.

One appeared at Harpenden in the 90's and was instantly gobbled up by a dealer. I had a long enough look to see that it was indeed red bakelite and not sprayed; not as red as the red KB 'Toaster' (red bakelite too) but definitely red.
Closed Thread