UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Offered and Wanted Messages > Repair and Restoration Services Wanted

Notices

Repair and Restoration Services Wanted If you need someone to repair or restore equipment for you please post your request here.

Old 24th Jun 2020, 12:53 pm   #1
Keith903
Diode

Default Revox B77 Help needed

Hi,

I have a Revox B77 Mk2 high speed machine that does not play.

When tape is loaded it will fast forward and fast rewind without problems but it will not play.

When play is pressed the tape tension is taken up as though ready to play but it does not move.

The capstan is rotating but the pinch wheel is not.

In my un-expert opinion it appears that the pinch roller is not pinching the tape enough to drive it?

Maybe the pinch roller is too worn or needs adjusting - if that is possible?

I have thoroughly cleaned the tape path and tried several tapes all of which play perfectly on another machine.

Looking for someone in the Devon (Preferably Torbay) area to take a look at it/ service it etc.

Hope someone can help.

Thank you.
Keith903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Jun 2020, 2:15 pm   #2
Radio Wrangler
Dekatron

Default Re: Revox B77 Help needed

A little clarification may help people...

What is the history of this machine? Do you know when it last worked, or is it a recent purchase?

The reason is that 7.5/15 ips models have become more sought after and a number of normal speed ones have been converted by people and the degree of thoroughness of the modifications is, ahem, variable. The problem of doing it wrong is in the positioning of the capstan and it leads to transport problems and the tape coming off the replay head at the wrong angle.

So the first job with a 'High Speed' Revox with transport problems is to see if it's a real one. This problem is worse with the A77 because a much lower proportion sold were real high speed ones than with the B77.

And welcome to the forum!

David
Old 24th Jun 2020, 7:49 pm   #3
Michael Maurice

At some stage I will be going to Devon to repair and service various items, I could come to you. I will send you a PM.

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Michael Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Jun 2020, 11:27 pm   #4
Keith903
Diode

Hi David/Michael,

Thank you for your replies.

This is all new to me so please forgive lack of information.

I'm afraid I do not have any history of the machine.
I have had it a while but it has never worked and I do not know when it last worked.

This is the first I have heard of the speed conversions.
Is there any obvious way that I can tell if this is a real high speed or not?

Thank you.

Keith
Old 25th Jun 2020, 8:30 am   #5
Restoration73
Octode

Having had both A77 HS (approved conversion by importer FWO Bauch) and B77 HS Mk1 from new. there often was a HS sticker.

It may be possible to date the machine from the serial no.
Restoration73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Jun 2020, 12:57 am   #6
jamesperrett
Octode

OtThe obvious thing to check is that the speeds are screen printed onto the front panel. The A77 conversions that I've seen had labels with the new speeds stuck over the old speed markings. There will also be a sticker on the back that will mention CCIR or NAB which is the equalisation standard that the machine uses.
jamesperrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Jun 2020, 8:53 am   #7
Radio Wrangler
Dekatron

It's now so long since the A77 and B77 recorders were made that there are a number of units floating around where various bits are not original, so it's always worth checking to see what's really in the box.

Low probability of meeting a ringer, but it minimises the confusion if it's considered possible.

David
Old 30th Jun 2020, 11:36 am   #8
Keith903
Diode

Thanks for all the replies - sorry for slow response

Unfortunately the serial no label is missing.

There is a small sticker next to where the serial no label should be that says "2 Track CCIR"

The speeds on the front panel are screen printed and match all the other printing on the front panel (No labels stuck over anything)