UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Aug 2020, 1:11 pm   #21
paulsherwin

Default Re: Ehrcorder rewind problem

Thanks for your work Ted. I'm sure anything intelligible will be of sentimental value to the OP. Japanese machines of this type were really just toys.
Old 8th Aug 2020, 3:19 pm   #22
tv horror
Triode

I received the machine and the recording back this morning and I am sorely disappointed that there was nothing "intelligible" as Paul wrote. Yes there were snippets of sound but really nothing that made any sense even after Ted trying. I'll just have to live with the memories I have and count the £50 I paid to the shop and £125 to Ted as a loss. Thank you all for your help.
Old 8th Aug 2020, 3:25 pm   #23
paulsherwin

Sorry to hear this.
Old 9th Aug 2020, 7:19 am   #24
ricard
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Kendall View Post
... left hand spool turntable mounting. Its shaft is attached to an arm which pivots on a bolt to engage rewind. No bearing here, just a hole in the end of the arm, which had gone oval, and a soggy spring to boot. Somebody had been in before ...
Given that the OP mentions that his mother had the machine for just a year before passing away, one wonders if it wasn't subsequently used by and played with by other members of the family, which would account for the wear on the rewind mechanism, and also possibly the haphazard recording.

Quote:
The tape was interesting [...] had a black oxide coat on both sides. KJ Enterprises, as they then were, sold a batch of Scotch double coated tape around this time, so maybe it was this.
Interesting type of tape, what was is intended for? Or rather, what was the point of the double sided coating? So that the tape could be used either way? Or to improve low frequency response by having two layers contain the lower frequencies, as surely the highs would never make it to the playback head from the other side of the tape?

I concur with Paul, sad to hear there wasn't anything meaningful on the tape. It least it is now a known fact rather than an unknown. One does what one can.
Old 10th Aug 2020, 10:54 am   #25
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricard View Post
Interesting type of tape, what was is intended for? Or rather, what was the point of the double sided coating? So that the tape could be used either way? Or to improve low frequency response by having two layers contain the lower frequencies, as surely the highs would never make it to the playback head from the other side of the tape?
As I understand it, this tape was meant for some sort of continuous-play system, probably for background music. It was formed into a Moebius strip by splicing it into a loop with a single twist, giving twice the programme space for the same pack size over a single-coated loop. The major problem, as I was able to prove here, was that breakthrough was rife. Presumably the original application used slow speeds and low level recording to keep this to acceptable levels.
Old 10th Aug 2020, 2:00 pm   #26
tv horror
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricard View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Kendall View Post
... left hand spool turntable mounting. Its shaft is attached to an arm which pivots on a bolt to engage rewind. No bearing here, just a hole in the end of the arm, which had gone oval, and a soggy spring to boot. Somebody had been in before ...
Given that the OP mentions that his mother had the machine for just a year before passing away, one wonders if it wasn't subsequently used by and played with by other members of the family, which would account for the wear on the rewind mechanism, and also possibly the haphazard recording.

Quote:
The tape was interesting [...] had a black oxide coat on both sides. KJ Enterprises, as they then were, sold a batch of Scotch double coated tape around this time, so maybe it was this.

I concur with Paul, sad to hear there wasn't anything meaningful on the tape. It least it is now a known fact rather than an unknown. One does what one can.
Hello Ricard, my mother was suffering from terminal cancer in those last 6 months and the machine was brought back from the U.S in 1965 to cheer her up by my brother in law. As we were a very young family other than my older sister who was 20 and did not live with us and my father had already suffered a heart attack and stroke no one was able to open the machine as Ted assumes as it was away until recently and the only thing we did was try to play the tape and the rewind did not work. I even sent Ted a small nut which had been rattling about inside as it fell out when we turned it upside down, that proves that no one was working on it before because why would we enclose it as proof it was opened before. No it's just a pity that we have lost the only known recording of our mother. Thanks for the reply. As for the reel itself it was also brought back from the U.S and was the only reel we had until I bought two new empty reels off Ebay.
Closed Thread