UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Dec 2020, 4:39 pm   #1
Helder Crespo
Hexode

Default Bush TV22 question - partial "disassembly" of the focusing magnet

Hi
I am aware of the potential problems that can arise if one takes apart the focusing magnet assembly, namely a decrease in magnetisation due to misalignment or simple separation of the insides. There are numerous warnings in the forum regarding this issue.
My question is: is there any problem in doing a very partial disassembly? I'm talking about removing the moving part of the assembly (arrowed), which simply slides in an out of the main magnet, and is easy to remove once the lever holder with the guiding pin is removed. This should really help with the cleaning and lubrication of the assembly.
Many thanks and best wishes
Helder
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	magnet.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	222761  
Old 18th Dec 2020, 4:53 pm   #2
Petedox
Pentode

Default Re: Bush TV22 question - partial "disassembly" of the focusing magnet

Hi Helder, I stripped mine completely to give it a good clean. Just take some photos as you do it and you'll be fine. Once it's back together you can make any fine adjustments if necessary.

Last edited by Petedox; 18th Dec 2020 at 5:05 pm.
Old 18th Dec 2020, 5:10 pm   #3
Freya
Octode

Same here, mark with indelible pen if you wish to go back exactly but it doesn't make any noticeable difference.
Old 18th Dec 2020, 5:17 pm   #4
Helder Crespo
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petedox View Post
Hi Helder, I stripped mine completely to give it a good clean. Just take some photos as you do it and you'll be fine. Once it's back together you can make any fine adjustments if necessary.
Thanks Pete. In my case I don't wish to do a complete disassembly as I'm happy with the results I got so far, but merely wish to remove the moving part in order to clean and lubricate it properly.
I assume that in this case there is no risk of affecting the magnetic properties of the assembly, as I believe that the complete stripping you are referring to also involves removing the magnet(s) inside the fixed part, correct?
Helder
Old 18th Dec 2020, 5:23 pm   #5
Helder Crespo
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freya View Post
Same here, mark with indelible pen if you wish to go back exactly but it doesn't make any noticeable difference.
Just to be sure: you are referring to taking apart the fixed section, not just the moving part, correct? This would imply removing the locking screws completely, and taking apart the back section (arrowed). And what should I mark exactly? Nevertheless, I'm quite happy with how the assembly looks already, and I don't see the point of doing more than just removing the moving part for lubrication. I believe there is nothing to mark in this case, as the position is determined/fixed by the guiding pin.
Helder
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	magnet2.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	222762  
Old 18th Dec 2020, 5:33 pm   #6
Petedox
Pentode

Well here's a before and after if it's any help. Like Freya, I always try to mark or incorporate some form of measurement in the photo when dissasembling. I think it's worth completely taking apart, it's not that difficult to put back together and realign.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Before.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	222763   Click image for larger version

Name:	After.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	222764  
Old 18th Dec 2020, 5:53 pm   #7
Helder Crespo
Hexode

Quote:
Well here's a before and after if it's any help. Like Freya, I always try to mark or incorporate some form of measurement in the photo when dissasembling. I think it's worth completely taking apart, it's not that difficult to put back together and realign.
Thanks Pete. Do you have a photo of the assembly fully taken apart?
Old 18th Dec 2020, 8:35 pm   #8
Petedox
Pentode

I don't unfortunately Helder. I tend to take loads on my smartphone during complex parts of any build or restoration and generally bin them afterwards, save for a few that represent major milestones.
Old 18th Dec 2020, 9:38 pm   #9
Helder Crespo
Hexode

Quote:
I don't unfortunately Helder. I tend to take loads on my smartphone during complex parts of any build or restoration and generally bin them afterwards, save for a few that represent major milestones.
Thanks Pete. I totally understand.
Helder
Closed Thread