UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Dec 2020, 10:23 pm   #1
Med_tech3
Diode

Default Problem with video on Sanyo Betacord VTC 9300PN.

Hi.
I have recently come into posession of a Sanyo Betacord VTC 9300PN. Unfortunately there is no video output either via the RF output or the video output. There is also no sound.
I have tried tuning in my analogue tuner on my tv to the test signal but it finds nothing. When I first turned on the unit I got sound and a video output (via the video out) but the picture was black and white.
The belts probably need changing as the machine takes a long time to drag the belt into the playing position. Once in position the tape moves past the head and from one spool to the other.
Any ideas on the video issue?
Thank you
Old 13th Dec 2020, 11:13 am   #2
ben
Dekatron

Default Re: Problem with video on Sanyo Betacord VTC 9300PN.

You will have to begin by measuring voltages, from PSU outputs and downstream from there. Numerous symptoms may well have a common cause.
Old 13th Dec 2020, 11:57 am   #3
samjmann
Heptode

There was a supply regulator transistor that was by far the most common fault on this machine. There's quite a few people on here that may well remember the component reference number. Sorry I can't be more specific. Sanyo Tech Advice always asked us if this had been changed before doing anything else.
That said that was nearly 40 years ago, so there are likely to be a few other issues too. SJM.
Old 13th Dec 2020, 1:13 pm   #4
hamid_1
Heptode

First things first: if you are trying to tune in an analogue TV to the VTC-9300 video recorder, be aware that there's an ANT / VIDEO switch on the front right hand side of the machine, just above the channel change buttons. This must be switched to VIDEO and not ANT otherwise there will be no RF signal for your TV to tune into. Also this model has a plug-in RF modulator on the back of the machine. Make sure it's plugged in fully.

Connect an aerial lead from the ANT OUT of the recorder to the aerial socket of your TV. Switch on the VCR using the function switch on the front left. (Set it to the middle position.) Switch on the test signal at the back. Now try tuning your TV. Hopefully you should see the black and white stripe test pattern. If so, turn off the test signal and try to play a tape.

If you're connecting direct to your TV's AV input using the Video Out and Audio connectors on the back of the recorder, you won't see the test signal. With the Camera / Tuner switch set to tuner, you should see snow, or a black screen on camera. Many modern TVs wil display a 'No Signal' message or a blank / blue screen in either of those scenarios, or if your tape is not playing properly. This makes it difficult to see what's going on. In that case, try using another TV if possible - the older, the better.

There's a fault-finding guide here : http://www.palsite.com/9300tech.html

It mentions that no colour can be caused by the test signal switch being left on.

I seem to remember the electronics were fairly reliable. Back in the day, most of the faults were mechanical. But now these machines are 40 years old, a combination of faults is possible. To make matters worse, spare parts like idler wheels and belt kits are getting hard to find these days. You may need a bit of luck with this one.

Last edited by hamid_1; 13th Dec 2020 at 1:18 pm. Reason: added info
Old 13th Dec 2020, 7:53 pm   #5
Med_tech3
Diode

Thank you all for your replies.

Update. I tried as suggested to tune it in on my analogue TV with the switch set to video but no luck. I also still get no video from video out but if I play a tape I get the sound which means the tape is playing OK. I have checked the PSU voltages on the board at the back of the unit with the three fuses and all voltages on that board are present.
Old 13th Dec 2020, 8:18 pm   #6
Med_tech3
Diode

Another update. I cleaned the head and now get a picture on video out! It is black and white with colour noise going through it. If I switch the test signal on I lose the colour noise.
Old 13th Dec 2020, 11:26 pm   #7
Med_tech3
Diode

Further update. I now have a colour picture on video out. I adjusted VR214 and colour magically appeared!
Old 14th Dec 2020, 11:23 am   #8
dj_fivos_sak
Heptode

Ah yes. The classic fault with the AFC on the VTC 9300/9350 where VR214 needs adjustment. Nice to hear you got it working.
Closed Thread