UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Dec 2020, 3:12 pm   #1
gridrunner
Pentode

Default LOPT focus control substitute/fix?

Hi everyone,

I've just replaced a failing LOPT in a Commodore 1081 monitor with a substitute unit from Donberg.

However I dropped a clanger with the focus control. I had to remove it to fit the LOPT but when I powered up I couldn't focus the screen. I put the control on the meter and it was open circuit. It looks like a small carbon pad has fallen out of the wiper and there's no contact now, lost forever on the floor.

The service manual says its 59 Mega Ohms, but a quick cast about and I can't find ready spares. Does anyone have advice on material I can use to fit in the wiper to make contact?

Thanks

Stu
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	loptf1.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	222094   Click image for larger version

Name:	loptf2.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	127.3 KB
ID:	222095  
Old 8th Dec 2020, 3:52 pm   #2
Freya
Octode

Default Re: LOPT focus control substitute/fix?

It may have been a graphite section, you could try using some pencil lead, it sands easily so could be fashioned to fit. See what the others say.
Old 8th Dec 2020, 4:13 pm   #3
G6ONEDave
Octode

Perhaps a piece from a motor carbon brush. Will need to be fairly soft, so as not to wear away the high resistance track whilst adjusting focus.
Dave
Old 8th Dec 2020, 4:13 pm   #4
slidertogrid
Octode

That type of focus control was used by various television manufacturers The Pye / Philips KT3 / K30 for instance. I don't know if the resistance is the same so the whole control may not be a direct replacement but one should at least provide the wiper to repair yours .
Maybe someone has a control or a scrap chassis with one on it?
Rich
Old 8th Dec 2020, 5:11 pm   #5
Maarten
Dekatron

Don't use pencil as it will either not work or arc.

These units were made by Philips (possibly also at Mullard Blackburn) and are very common. You should be able to obtain the missing part from a similar potmeter unit.
Old 8th Dec 2020, 8:41 pm   #6
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Just a tip to find tiny irreplaceable items that have gone 'ping'.
Empty your vacuum cleaner bag or fit a new replacement paper type. Clean the entire area with the vacuum making sure you get in the corners and all the hidden areas. It's amazing where these items land!

Empty the bag into a bucket of water and stir gently. Any dense items will sink to the bottom of the bucket. gently pour off the liquid and soft sludge. The item can be easily found in the grit and bits at the bottom.

I've done this with small items from VCRs, pick ups etc with 90% success. John.
Old 9th Dec 2020, 3:50 am   #7
Maarten
Dekatron

Also, I just realised that if memory serves me right, you should probably be looking for a tight wound metal spring, not for a rubber or carbon part.
Old 10th Dec 2020, 2:45 pm   #8
gridrunner
Pentode

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the advice. In the end I put a piece of soft thick metal wire in the groove, with enough clearance to make good contact and set the focus to the middle of the range. It works fine. Not ideal, but I doubt I'll ever need to adjust it again.
Closed Thread