UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 11th May 2018, 4:29 pm   #1
ckbrooks
Retired Dormant Member

Default Uher Report 6000 Universal power supply solution

Hi,

I have just acquired a Uher 6000 Report Universal without a power supply. uher Service in Germany say that it won’t work from a 6volt z124, but instead needs the 12 volt, 2 amp z147, which is no longer available.

Does anyone have any solutions for me to get this up and running somehow?
I can’t see an external din-type connector on the side for a battery pack like on the 4000 Series.

Could I put together a modern low cost supply? And if so, what do I need and how do I wire it in?

Help

Kind regards

Clive
Old 12th May 2018, 3:26 pm   #2
barretter
Heptode

Default Re: Uher Report 6000 Universal power supply solution

You can download an instruction manual for the Uher 6000 from H-Fi Engine but it's only available in German. There is also a service manual with circuit diagram available there with bits of English.
The circuit diagram contains a schematic of the Z145 power supply and of the cable (K645) which is used to connect the Z145 externally to the 6000. As far as I can make out from German forums this cable is inserted into the Radio socket on the side of the machine which is a 6-pin DIN socket.
The power is carried on pins 6 (positive) and 3 (negative).
The supply itself seems to be a simple bridge-rectified, capacitor-smoothed one with no regulation (which is presumably done by other circuits inside the 6000) so you could build one or adapt a redundant computer power supply. If my maths is right the Z145 will supply 19.6V, but the 6000 will work on a lower voltage than that so you could be cautious at first.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Uher6000power.jpg
Views:	431
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	162703  
Old 12th May 2018, 3:35 pm   #3
Refugee
Dekatron

That is a candidate for an old CB power supply.
Old 12th May 2018, 6:49 pm   #4
ckbrooks
Retired Dormant Member

I got this from Uher Service in Germany. The pins seems slightly different to what’s been suggested.

Any thoughts on what I should do, or a specific power supply that I could buy? I’m a bit concerned that I might get things wrong at present. Uher Service also said about 12 volts and 2amps would be right. Here’s the email about the connections.....

The contacts on the monitor jack are:

6 = + 12 V ...... 25 V
7 = - (mass)

The device does not work with batteries.
It can be used a 6 V battery (for example, lead acid battery = Pb – akku).
In the device 6 V is converted to 12 V.

Best regards

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Hilmar Krüger

UHER-Service
Lindenallee 21
31535 Neustadt
Old 12th May 2018, 7:06 pm   #5
barretter
Heptode

Yes, Uher Service are right. Having got out my magnifying glass I now can see on the circuit diagram that pin 3 from the Z145 is connected to pin 7 of the Monitor input (not Radio), so you need a 7-pin Din plug, and you connect the +V to pin 6 and the -V to pin 7. It seems that any voltage between 12 and 25 is acceptable so you could use a 12V, 2A computer supply by changing the output connector to a 7 pin Din
Old 12th May 2018, 7:06 pm   #6
barretter
Heptode

By "mass" they mean "ground".
Old 12th May 2018, 9:37 pm   #7
barretter
Heptode

And here's a picture of the soldering side of a 7-pin Din plug, if you're not familiar with the numbering system.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7-pin Din.png
Views:	443
Size:	129.5 KB
ID:	162711  
Old 12th May 2018, 9:55 pm   #8
ckbrooks
Retired Dormant Member

Thank you very much indeed everyone. This makes sense now. I'll see if I can find a power supply somewhere cheaply. It looks like a really interesting old machine.
Closed Thread