UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 10th May 2018, 6:26 pm   #1
BBCmicro
Tetrode

Default Uher Monitor 4400 noisy drive wheel

Hello all,
Apologies in advance for daft mistakes but a novice here.

further to thread looking for spares (here ) I am still looking for parts but new belts arrived today

Having fitted them the machine lives and plays back tapes at all speeds, the output sound is good however the drive wheel is very noisy where it makes contact with the flywheel, quite a metallic sort of sound. Not quite a grinding noise but a bit more growly than a rumble.

The service manual for the 4xxx report series - which I imagine are very similar - states "a replacement drive wheel is only required if the friction lining has been damaged". I have tried lightening the pressure of the flywheel onto the drivewheel and this makes minimal difference to the noise. Is the 'friction lining' damaged?

Oh no!
Old 11th May 2018, 7:28 am   #2
camtechman
Nonode

Default Re: Uher Monitor 4400 noisy drive wheel

In my previous reply to you I mentioned the problem with "hardening rubber" on the flywheel:

Quote:
Check the rubber tyre that runs around the rim of the flywheel. The rubber may have gone hard

The hardend rubber is the likely cause of rumble. This is again a common problem due to its age. I had to buy a replacement for my 4200 Report Monitor few years back and, if available, they are very expensive....I paid £115 euro for one 7 years ago !

Last edited by camtechman; 11th May 2018 at 7:49 am.
Old 11th May 2018, 10:11 am   #3
barretter
Heptode

SDS-Uher lists new production drive-wheels (Antriebsrad in German) at 76.64 Euros (about £68) and a Swiss company advertises them at about the same price plus £15 postage on eBay. I bought one of the latter and it works fine.
Old 11th May 2018, 11:42 am   #4
BBCmicro
Tetrode

Terrific, Spied the part on SDS, still waiting for a reply. Fingers crossed.
Closed Thread