UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Dec 2020, 7:26 am   #1
its ur aerial
Hexode

Default Positive Video Modulation

Does any one, know the reason behind why the old VHF 405 system used positive going Modulation for the Video signal, with its inherent problems from ignition interference.

Ken G6HZG VMARS
Old 11th Dec 2020, 9:15 am   #2

Default Re: Positive Video Modulation

One reason was reduced interference to the syncs, another is it was hard to make the bottom end linear, didn't matter to the syncs.

Old 11th Dec 2020, 9:44 am   #3
Radio Wrangler

I think it was just the obvious way to do it, plus detector threshold effects would distort the syncs.

The switch to negative modulation was impelled by several advantages:

Signal to noise is better at black levels than white.... black snow on a white background isn't noticed, white snow on a black background is dead obvious.

Better detectors meant that low level signals were detected linearly and changes in shades close to peak white aren't easily seen, changes in shadow are more visible. Human sight is engineered for spotting prey and predators in shadows.

Even though detectors were easiy improved, the compression of transmitters running close to full power was still real. so negative modulation put the picture info in the linear region.

Finally, negative modulation gives the highest S/N ratio and therefore the greatest accuracy and security to the syncs. It's no good if you know exactly what the intensity/colour is if you don't know exactly where in the picture it goes.

David
Old 11th Dec 2020, 6:10 pm   #4
its ur aerial
Hexode

Thanks to both of you for the informed replies, the mention of the Sync pulse problem, jogged my memory, and I now vaguely recall , being told this at College back in the very early 70`s.
Many thanks again.

Ken, G6HZG.
Old 12th Dec 2020, 12:22 am   #5
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

They used to say that black "holes" in the picture were less intrusive than white spots, but the move from band I/III to IV/V made any type of impulse interference much less of an issue.
Closed Thread