UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Apr 2019, 7:42 pm   #1
Electronpusher0
Nonode

Default Weller TCP sleeve - different sizes?

Can anyone shed some light on the correct sleeve for a Weller soldering iron please?

I bought a box of Weller irons in various states of disrepair at my local car boot and have spent some time stripping and rebuilding to get as many working as possible.

I have now several working irons but two are puzzling me. They are now complete and functional but need sleeves and bits but they seem to take different size sleeves.
One is a straight forward TCP1 and has an element with a (measured) diameter of 7.72mm
The other is marked TCPS and has an element diameter of 8.34mm, a standard TCP1 sleeve does not fit.

I would like to buy replacement sleeves but cannot find any reference to the different sizes or where to buy the specific TCPS type.

Peter
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1782.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	181529   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1781.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	181530   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1783.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	181531  
Old 19th Apr 2019, 10:12 pm   #2
ajgriff
Nonode

Default Re: Weller TCP sleeve - different sizes?

At some point the size of the TCP element casing was increased slightly which also resulted in the need for a larger barrel (sleeve). I believe that new barrels can be used with older elements but older barrels won't fit newer elements. No idea as to the reason for the size increase.

Good boot sale find!

Alan
Old 20th Apr 2019, 4:28 am   #3
TonyDuell
Dekatron

I'll confirm the element diameter did increase at some point.

I bought my TCP (new) over 25 years ago. Last year the element failed, and fortunately I remembered reading that the sleeve had also changed over the years so I ordered a replacement sleeve along with the element. Just as well I did, the old sleeve was too small a diameter to fit over the new element.

But the new element and sleeve together worked fine in the old iron.

I didn't bother to measure the parts I'm afraid. I was just happy I could solder again.
Old 20th Apr 2019, 7:31 am   #4
Electronpusher0
Nonode

Thanks Tony and Alan,
I have had another look and can see that the threaded parts of both elements are the same, so the new sleeve should indeed fit both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDuell View Post
I ordered a replacement sleeve along with the element. Just as well I did, the old sleeve was too small a diameter to fit over the new element.
I don't suppose you still have the old (narrower) sleeve you would be willing to part with Tony?

Peter
Old 20th Apr 2019, 10:31 am   #5
short wave
Pentode

I notice photo 2 is marked 45w /24 volts ...photo 3 50w /24 volts
Old 20th Apr 2019, 11:09 am   #6
ajgriff
Nonode

Interestingly my 1972 TCP-1 with a bakelite handle is marked as 48W 24V.

Alan
Old 20th Apr 2019, 12:09 pm   #7
Norman Raeburn
Heptode

Hi Peter, I have on old sleeve here which measures with my junky digital calipers 7.63 inside dia. It's definitely smaller than the one I use at present. If this is what you need pm me your address and I will post it off to you. Norman
Old 20th Apr 2019, 12:21 pm   #8
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronpusher0 View Post
I don't suppose you still have the old (narrower) sleeve you would be willing to part with Tony?

Peter
I doubt I would have thrown it out. But no idea where I put it. I can look around for it and if I find it you are welcome to it...
Old 20th Apr 2019, 12:29 pm   #9
Electronpusher0
Nonode

Norman, thanks, PM sent.
Tony, thanks for the offer but I think Norman has one for me.
Peter
Old 20th Apr 2019, 12:46 pm   #10
Oldcodger
Nonode

re #5 & #6- be aware that in the 70's Weller used to do a higher wattage iron. I came across it in MSDS where it was used to remake the joints on the 353 transmitter which used "high melting point " solder. (Not just something we used naive apprentices in search of.
Just had a quick check of my (later model) EC1201, which is 24v /48W. Element( I couldn't get the sleeve off ,totally,) but it's externally 7.62mm. I had a quick look on RS and there's a lot of spares on there. ( https://uk.rs-online.com/web/c/tools...eller%20spares).
Might be worth a call/ look at a data sheet .

Last edited by Oldcodger; 20th Apr 2019 at 12:56 pm.
Closed Thread