UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Websites

Notices

Websites Found an interesting website? Post the details here and share it with the rest of us. Please stick to websites that are in some way related to our hobby/interest.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Aug 2018, 2:08 pm   #1
reelguy
Heptode

Default re Radiomuseum downloads

Help and advice needed.
I have recently acquired a SABA TK 230s reel recorder .
I now want to download some schematics and other info from Radiomuseum but can someone advise if zipcruncher or pdf pro 100 are ok to use ? Or maybe suggest an easier way. Thanks.
Its a long time since I downloaded anything like this.!
Peter W... reelguy
Old 12th Aug 2018, 2:13 pm   #2
Station X

Default Re: re Radiomuseum downloads

You don't need anything other than a browser to download stuff from rm.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 12th Aug 2018, 4:32 pm   #3
Radio Wrangler

And a radio museum membership?

David
Old 12th Aug 2018, 4:44 pm   #4
Goldie99
Heptode

No - it's free to download I think it's 3 pages a day (they email pdf's to you), and up to 10 (?) a month.

Just scroll to the schematic image you need on the right, then left-click the image you want, still using the right-hand part of the screen, then left-click it again when it's displaying in the main part of the screen - that opens the download page.
Old 12th Aug 2018, 6:17 pm   #5
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

Then your download is sent to your email address...........
Old 12th Aug 2018, 7:30 pm   #6
crackle
Rest in Peace

Or if you make use of the free membership and become a contributor to help build up the resource, instead of just being a user, then you can just click on the images and schematics to see them full size.
Mike
Old 12th Aug 2018, 8:34 pm   #7
David G4EBT
Dekatron

I've been a member for many years, but it becomes problematical because I have no models that haven't been covered on there many times over in other people's collections. If - for example, on this forum - someone gives a link to RMORG and I click on it, I get a reminder that says I've viewed the site 'n' times in the last year, but have uploaded nothing, hence, I'm a taker not a giver and should upload something to 'get into good books', so as far as I can, I tend to steer clear of it

I can appreciate that in the early days, unless members played a full part in uploading information there'd be nothing for others to view or download, but that isn't the case nowadays. I don't find it very 'user friendly' to navigate either. Not really an issue for me as I don't have any continental sets about which I need info, and most of my needs are catered for on Paul's excellent DVD-ROM. In the unlikely event that I did need to download anything from RMORG, I don't think I'd be barred from doing so, I'd probably just get nagged at for being a 'freeloader'.
Old 12th Aug 2018, 9:59 pm   #8
poppydog
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackle View Post
Or if you make use of the free membership and become a contributor to help build up the resource, instead of just being a user, then you can just click on the images and schematics to see them full size.
I didn't know it was free to join, is it? I'm a regular freeloader, there is a fair bit of stuff I have now that isn't available (schematics) "up top"

regards poppydog
Old 12th Aug 2018, 10:45 pm   #9
crackle
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by David G4EBT View Post
I've been a member for many years, but it becomes problematical because I have no models that haven't been covered on there many times over in other people's collections. .
Hi David.
It matters not if there are already photos of one of your models, you still get brownie points for uploading your photos of all your models.

You can join for free see this page. https://www.radiomuseum.org/dsp_anmeldungskosten.cfm
scroll down to; option 1 earn your admission.

Uploading photos of your radios or TV's or amps and hifi and much more will create a unique page for your collection, so that you can see, at a glance, for yourself or show others what you have in your collection. To be honest it is the first place I go to see if I have a radio in my collection. for instance look up Philips EL3542A/15E and scroll down the page, ah yes, there it is, in the Collection of Mike Edwards. Together with a few KB radios too numerous to mention.

The radio Museum is keen to encourage the addition of most old and modern electronics items. The aim is to create a complete history covering as much as possible, the development of all the various electronic items for future generations to look back on.

Mike
Old 12th Aug 2018, 11:11 pm   #10
Cobaltblue

I endorse what Mike (crackle ) says the number and quality of pictures of some models is shocking.

And the number with none at all is even worse.

Remember you don't even need to own the set providing you state the source of your pictures.

The Radiomuseum seems to occasionally get hostile comments that IMHO are not justified.

Cheers

Mike T
Old 13th Aug 2018, 8:38 am   #11
ricard
Octode

It used to be that rmorg hat very specific requirements on uploaded files, which made contribution a bit of a pain. When I'm working with, and hence are enthusiastic about, a certain piece of equipment it would be nice just to send up some pictures and info that I'd collected at that point, but at least a few years ago the uploading process was clearly devised for people with too much time on their hands so I've made very few contributions.

Another problem is that there are a lot of inaccuracies on the site, and again I haven't engaged in the process for several years, but it at least used to awkward to get things changed. Again too much effort for the gain.

That said, I appreciate the site as a first stop for finding out about a specific piece of equipment.

I think it's a tricky balance to maintain an online resource of that magnitude without making it either too hard to use or too easy to upload garbage.
Old 13th Aug 2018, 9:40 am   #12
crackle
Rest in Peace

All valid points, but there are those who care deeply about our hobby, enough to make that extra effort for the benefit of others.

Yes, the Radio Museum have set rules for the size and type of image to upload and they are particular about copyright, they want to try and maintain some standards. If you register the image as your own then no problem it is registered to your collection. If the image is from elsewhere you need to give details, e,g. Ebay auction number and seller name.
Details are as accurate as the contributors could manage, if an error is seen then now is the time to put it right.
At the end of 2017 there were 290,069 separate model pages available on the Radio Museum website. More details about the museum can be seen here.

I may regret saying this, but then probably not judging by the general apathy towards the Radio Museum, but if you see an error and you are not able to join and help improve it, then PM me with the correct details, the model page, the source of your information and I will propose your correction.
Or if you want help with achieving anything on the Radio Museum, then contact me and I will try and help explain. It is a very elaborate system and a vast database of information, it covers a massive range of different types of equipment and it can be difficult for a newcomer to see how to do some things, but help is available.

Mike

Last edited by crackle; 13th Aug 2018 at 9:47 am.
Old 13th Aug 2018, 9:52 am   #13
ms660
Dekatron

Radiomuseum….I've always found it to be an excellent resource, especially for equipment ID purposes and hard to find schematics, the technical analysis/circuit descriptions/write ups that are sometimes attached to a particular item are also very good for the ones I've read so far.

Lawrence.
Old 13th Aug 2018, 10:29 am   #14
Cobaltblue

As Mike (Crackle) won't blow his own trumpet I will do it for him (Mike is very modest) I hope you don't mind Mike.

Everyone who uses RM has benifitted massively from the amount of time and effort Mike has put in to try to fix mistakes and add new content particulary on UK brands.

RM's processes for fixing errors are methodical and evidence based, after all you don't want to replace one error with another one.

Its not helped that it it isn't always clear who the "manufacturer" was.

This has caused no end of problems for Brands such as Westminster and Defiant.

Even the big boys didn't always manufacture in house.

I think you need to consider that manufacturer may mean Brand rather than the actual manufacturer.

This has led to some duplication and a sticky mess to untangle.

I feel guilty that I have done virtually nothing on RM since February but my House has kept me very busy

I would encourage anyone to contribute and help plug the holes.

If you look through the UK entries you will find that the vast bulk of pages were created by just a handfull of people.

Cheers

Mike T
Old 13th Aug 2018, 11:10 am   #15
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobaltblue View Post
The Radiomuseum seems to occasionally get hostile comments that IMHO are not justified.
For the avoidance of doubt, my own observations weren't intended to be 'hostile' towards RMORG, I was simply making the point - not very well perhaps - that as a member, I have no sets of which I could upload any pictures that haven't be covered countless times over, and because I haven't uploaded anything, I get nagged at and made to feel like a miscreant whenever I enter the site, which I rarely do. Such messages are more likely to deter rather than to encourage participation.

There's no doubting that it's a splendid resource - the fact that there are 290,000 separate model pages says it all.

But I'm not a collector and I don't yearn for models I don't already have.

My interests are in restoring commonplace sets of little value, acquired in poor condition. Some are sets that I don't even like - DAC90A for example - but which I've enjoyed restoring. Having restored them, I don't like to part with them, so I guess I'm a 'collector by default' rather than by intent. I wouldn't imagine that RMORG need yet another pic of a DAC90A, a Murphy U198, a KB FB10, or whatever. Just ordinary 'car boot sale' stuff really.

I don't have any schematics other than those I either have on Paul's DVD or have downloaded from other sites, which - as RMORG rightly stipulates for schematics that it holds - ought not to be circulated elsewhere, and I respect that.

The other side of the coin is that whilst I haven't uploaded any pictures or files to RMORG, neither have I downloaded any as far as I can recall - I've just occasionally viewed them. Really, what it amounts to is that for the reasons stated, I'm of no real value to the site and that's made clear to me if I enter it.

As for being a 'taker not a giver', in the fifteen years during which I've been a member of this forum, I've aimed to play an active part, to encourage, (maybe occasionally even inspire) others, and to make a positive contribution, often on homebrew projects, printed circuit techniques and the like, as well as the occasional restoration. I've also had a great deal of help, support and encouragement from other members. Likewise, as a BVWS member I enjoy the Bulletin immensely, and to do my bit, have had several articles published over the years, and two more are in the pipeline - one of which will be in the Autumn issue.

I'm not crowing about this - just saying that I don't think I fit the profile of a 'freeloader'.
Old 13th Aug 2018, 11:51 am   #16
ThePillenwerfer
Octode

I agree with David's points: Little to contribute that isn't well-covered already and finding it as user friendly as a barbed-wire lavatory roll. When I joined the security rigmarole was worse than for any other web-site I've used, including financial institutions. As a user I'd have sometimes have trouble logging-in as I own several computers and it didn't seem to like my using more than two.

I've contributed some things but always found it a heck of a trouble — I haven't done so for some years so things may be better now. For instance I may have a manual in PDF form but I'd have to convert it to individual PNG files and they'd have to be such-and-such a size/resolution before they'd up-load. I've got computer skills and time but I can easily see how other people either can't contribute though lack of those or decide it's not worth the bother.

I've rarely had cause to download anything as I've got a good run or R&TVS books.

I haven't seen the pestering message as in recent times I've only viewed the site, and that rarely, as a Guest.

Last edited by ThePillenwerfer; 13th Aug 2018 at 11:57 am.
Old 13th Aug 2018, 5:12 pm   #17
Cobaltblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePillenwerfer View Post
I agree with David's points: Little to contribute that isn't well-covered already and finding it as user friendly as a barbed-wire lavatory roll. When I joined the security rigmarole was worse than for any other web-site I've used, including financial institutions. As a user I'd have sometimes have trouble logging-in as I own several computers and it didn't seem to like my using more than two.
Some valid point here although I would point out that the lack of security on some finacial sites has not alays been good news.

Yes I use more than 2 devices and flip between them as a matter of course it's just mildly irritating.

Yes I can see why putting the documents into a particular format is a bit of a faf but I can see it from Ernst's point of view as well it's a massive undertaking without having to deal with multi-formats.

I hope many more will persist I found the more I did the easier it became although I still make school boy errors

The museum has changed a lot in the last few years including allowing non members to download limited amounts of information.

So the Freeloader definition is not what it was although I certainly don't think of David's work as being that of a freeloader in any case, supporting our hobby in multiple ways I wish I were as active.

As for the nagging, it's part of the problem of automated response on the face of it they sound like a good idea!

Anyway todays freeloaders are potentially tomorrows contributors

Cheers

Mike T
Old 13th Aug 2018, 8:47 pm   #18
Maarten
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePillenwerfer View Post
I've contributed some things but always found it a heck of a trouble — I haven't done so for some years so things may be better now. For instance I may have a manual in PDF form but I'd have to convert it to individual PNG files and they'd have to be such-and-such a size/resolution before they'd up-load. I've got computer skills and time but I can easily see how other people either can't contribute though lack of those or decide it's not worth the bother.
You could upload the PDF file in a forum topic linked to the model.
Old 14th Aug 2018, 7:03 am   #19
dsergeant
Octode

I have occasionally ended up at radiomuseum when hunting for schematics, was not aware that the people behind it are on here.
I find it a little confusing. When on a model page there is nothing to tell you to register to download the schematic, and if you right click on a schematic (always displayed as default in the thumbnail side) all you get is an option to download the thumbnail extract - 'how do I get the full thing' I scream. It is not until you click on it so it goes to the main screen then click on it again that you get the message about only available to members and even that doesn't tell you about the 3 downloads a day, it is enough that most people like me just give up and go away.

I appreciate the work you chaps are doing (and maybe will register next time, but have nothing to upload anyway), maybe some improvements to make it clear what the options are when we end up at your pages.

Dave
Old 14th Aug 2018, 7:47 am   #20
Cobaltblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsergeant View Post
I have occasionally ended up at radiomuseum when hunting for schematics, was not aware that the people behind it are on here.
Haha I suppose it's possible its was run by aliens

Many of the Contributors and Moderators are indeed UKVRRR members.

The Man behind Radiomuseum is Ernst Erb a very genuine person.
https://www.radiomuseum.org/collection/ernst_erb.html

He pays for the running of the Radiomuseum in the same way Paul funds this site.

The Radiomuseum is first and formost run for its members and contributors and they way it works is a bit clunky today but that reflects the fact that it's been around since 2001.

The Radiomuseum is geared up to try and encourage members to contribute with a points based system, a modest contribution of pictures and schematics is rewarded with many times more downloads. Most contributors download a tiny fraction of their entitlement.

As most people seem to just click on stuff and ignore instructions anyway most dont find it too hard to get their free downloads.

There is an instruction but maybe its not prominant and clear enough

Select picture or schematic to display from thumbnails on the right and click for download.

Cheers

Mike T
Closed Thread