UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Apr 2019, 9:23 pm   #1
paulfargher
Retired Dormant Member

Default I've aquired some Sony HiFi and Sony Audio Rack

Good evening all Im looking for some help trying to asses if the below equipment is any good and if so is there any value attached to it?
I would be grateful for any information on the kit especially the audio rack as I cannot find any information about it
Ive recently aquired the following as complete set of Sony equipment
Stereo Amp TA 2650
Tape Deck TC 186SD
Tuner ST2950F
Record Deck PS 1700
Audio Rack SU1700, teak rack designed to take all the above with glass door for LPs
They all work and in great condition.
Thanks in advance
Paul
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sony su 1700.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	181742   Click image for larger version

Name:	su 1700.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	181743  
Old 23rd Apr 2019, 9:39 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Ive aquired some Sony HiFi and Sony Audio Rack

This is a nice mid market hifi system from the late 70s. Unfortunately the components don't seem to be very sought after so it's not worth a fortune. At a guess the complete system is worth £100-£200 but you never know, and there may be some desirable attribute to it which I don't know about.

It's likely to need some servicing before it can be used - switch cleaner in the controls and switches, new belts for the cassette and record decks, new stylus or cartridge etc. It's also possible there may be more serious faults.
Old 24th Apr 2019, 8:40 am   #3
paulfargher
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Ive aquired some Sony HiFi and Sony Audio Rack

Thanks
Old 24th Apr 2019, 11:06 am   #4
Studio263
Octode

Default Re: I've aquired some Sony HiFi and Sony Audio Rack

That was briefly in the UK catalogue in the 1976 season. The units were all middle of the range, nothing special but not the cheap ones either. The speakers were designed to complement the cabinet, they were about the same height and of matching appearance. For some markets there was an extra unit where yours has a blanked-off metal trim with 'audio rack' written on it - either a timer unit or a TV sound tuner went there. I had a UK spec one some years ago, it was pretty good (if a little large).

It is most valuable if sold as separate components. £100 each for the amplifier and the turntable, £50 each for the tuner and the cassette assuming that they are mint and work perfectly. Even small defects (noisy controls, tired rewind, worn out stylus, general tattyness) slash these figures to less than half. This represents eBay prices with the right of return if defective, not forum or car boot values. The value of the rack sadly is zero.
Old 24th Apr 2019, 11:33 am   #5
paulsherwin

The complete setup may appeal to the 'retro' market (which is not the same as the vintage hifi market). As said, everything would need to work and be in good cosmetic condition to attract interest from there.

The amp is quite meaty for 1976 - most mid market amps were 30wpc at that time.
Old 28th Apr 2019, 7:53 pm   #6
paulfargher
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks all for the observations I really appreciate them ...
Old 30th Apr 2019, 9:51 am   #7
Studio263
Octode

Here's a picture of it when it was new. This one has the lesser 22W version of the amplifier; yours is the 40W model. The one tuner is shared by both of these, you don't get a choice about that. The loudspeakers shown are for the UK market, this system was sold with bigger / better ones in other markets (Germany, Japan etc).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SU-1700.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	182136  
Closed Thread