UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 21st May 2018, 9:52 pm   #1
jessicacaca
Diode

Default Dynatron LS 2628 Speakers - Help Please!

I'm very new to this sort of thing but I've recently come into ownership of a Buckingham Suite HFC203 Record Player with a Garrard SP25 MK IV turntable and a set of 2 Dynatron LS2628 Speakers.

One speaker has wires which I *think* I've plugged in correctly, however the other speaker has no wire whatsoever. Both speakers aren't playing any sound through them, although I can hear very faint music coming from the turntable (regardless of whether the speakers are in or not)

Basically just trying to get them to work, so if anyone can point me in the right direction it'd be a massive help!

Pictures below of what's what...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180509_213707.jpg
Views:	685
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	163325   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180521_205022.jpg
Views:	447
Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	163326   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180521_205049.jpg
Views:	470
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	163327   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180521_205117.jpg
Views:	863
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	163328  

Last edited by AC/HL; 21st May 2018 at 11:04 pm. Reason: Images uploaded
Old 21st May 2018, 11:55 pm   #2
RojDW48
Nonode

Default Re: Dynatron LS 2628 Speakers - Help Please!

Oh - the old regency Dynatron! Several issues at first sight. The unit is switched to 'internal' speakers (they pull out of the body of the unit at each end in a rather entertaining way - take a good look). Look under the lid and turn off the 'quad' (I think it's called - these players had a sort of rudimentary 4 channel set-up). The internal speakers should be giving you some sound - but what you describe sounds like stylus chatter. I seem to recall that the internals were connected by leads coming from inside the unit at the back - they might have been pulled out. To try the external (big) speakers you will need to connect to BOTH screw terminals (pic 3) for each of them with a lead with a 2 pin DIN connector at the other end to plug into the sockets in pic 4. Don't keep trying without a result. Report back with what happens. Good luck - I rather like these fanciful old Dynatrons.
Old 22nd May 2018, 1:02 am   #3
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Hi Jessica and welcome to the forum.

As RojDW48 fas mentioned, with the switch set to INT you should be getting good loud sound from the unit itself without the separate speakers, but I think you are only hearing surface noise from the record so something is amiss.

Taking your pictures at face value, you seem to have connected what remains of the FM wire aerial to one of your speakers, disconnect that please.

If you want to try the external speakers these need to be connected to the two sockets next to the HI/LO switch. You will need two lengths of flex, something similar to the aerial will be fine. You will also need two speaker DIN plugs, these are widely available, but usually they need soldering onto the flex, so you may need someone to do that for you.

When you connect the speakers themselves do it with the unit unplugged from the power point, and connect both wires one in each terminal and make sure the two metal wires do not protrude because if they touch each other, damage can ensue.

We will leave speaker phasing for another time

Good luck.
Old 22nd May 2018, 8:49 am   #4
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

The 'INT/EXT' switch next to the AM aerial socket surely switches between an internal (Ferrite Rod?) and external aerial and is nothing to do with the speakers. There may be internal 'pull-out' speakers, but these may be connected via switched DIN speaker sockets*, so automatically disconnected when plugs are inserted. One 'Regency' style Dynatron I serviced a few years ago was wired that way. Leads with DIN plugs are or were available from Maplin (if they still have any!), CPC, and on eBay, among other sources.
* The Rear Speaker sockets on this model appear to be switched types, as they have 3 holes, two for round pins, plus a centre one for the Flat pin of a DIN speaker plug. IIRC, inserting a speaker plug one way round mutes the internal speakers, whilst, if plugged in the other way round, the built-in speakers remain in circuit.
Old 22nd May 2018, 9:41 am   #5
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

In spte of all the previous comments, and by looking at the photos you have put up, the main unit does NOT have any internal (pull out) speakers. What ever you do, do not run this again until the two freestanding speakers are connected as advised above. If not, you may cause lasting and expensive damage to your amplifier. Ingore the sockets for rear speakers. In the meantime I am hoping that no damage has already occured. When testing, make sure that the balance control is at the midway setting. There is unlikely to be any fault at all with the speakers per se.
Old 22nd May 2018, 9:48 am   #6
simpsons
Octode

There are You Tube videos of such Dynatrons and the one "Vintage Dynatron Record Player" illustrates that the internal speakers are plugged into the DIN sockets and not hard wired.

I'm not surprised as the amplifier used was common to a number of different models and servicing a set with wires attached to the speakers would have been a real headache, let alone including it during the manufacturing process.

Chris
Old 22nd May 2018, 11:06 am   #7
RojDW48
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'LIVEWIRE?' View Post
The 'INT/EXT' switch next to the AM aerial socket surely switches between an internal (Ferrite Rod?) and external aerial and is nothing to do with the speakers. .
Of course it is - apologies all round. And Edward might be right about the internal speakers, but the model I had was thus equipped and looked the same as this one. You can get screw terminal DIN plugs these days - and they are quite nice but I am not sure that Maplins do them. They are available on eBay.
Old 22nd May 2018, 11:19 am   #8
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

On the models with the 4 inbuilt speakers, you will see the lid arrangement is different to allow for the 2 speaker sections (I hesitate to call them enclosures!) at each end.
Old 23rd May 2018, 6:07 pm   #9
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by RojDW48 View Post
Of course it is - apologies all round. And Edward might be right about the internal speakers, but the model I had was thus equipped and looked the same as this one. You can get screw terminal DIN plugs these days - and they are quite nice but I am not sure that Maplins do them. They are available on eBay.
And apologies from me for compounding the confusion, which was on the basis that there were internal speakers
Old 23rd May 2018, 6:18 pm   #10
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Blimey-well we might see the OP again I suppose Remember the days when only weird enthusiasts took an interest in this sort of thing. I'm feeling quite nostalgic

Dave
Old 24th May 2018, 1:43 pm   #11
Beobloke
Heptode

Well, I Hope the OP hasn't been frightened off, but if I may summarise the useful information contained within the 'noise' above:

- The lead you have connected to your speaker is an aerial lead. leave it in the socket on the music centre but disconnect it from the speaker!

- The leads you need have a 2 pin DIN speaker plug on one end, and are open, or have fork terminals at the other end. I believe eBay links are not permitted here but if you search 'DIN speaker lead' on there, you will see a £10.99 set made by Altai that are 4.5m long and have DIN speaker plugs at one end and colour coded forks on the other (I have no connection with the seller, by the way, nor have I tried them myself - I just though they looked like an easy ready-made solution!)

- If you buy these, the red coloured fork should be fitted to the terminal on the back of your speakers that has the red sticker beside it, and the other fork to the other terminal.

- Plug the DIN plugs into the 'FRONT' speaker sockets on the unit and switch on - if all is well, you should hear music.
Closed Thread