UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 16th May 2018, 8:52 am   #1
ssaunders
Triode

Default Decca Navigator Valve Voltmeter Mk II Type No 605

Morning all,

I think this is a long shot but....

Does anyone have any information on a Decca Navigator Valve Voltmeter Mk II Type No 605. It's a rather splendidly built device recently purchased from eBay.
Old 16th May 2018, 9:17 am   #2
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

Default Re: Decca Navigator Valve Voltmeter Mk II Type No 605

I'm afraid I can't help with any information, but it would be good to see some pictures of it, please!
Andy
Old 16th May 2018, 4:40 pm   #3
G3VKM_Roger
Heptode

I agree,

Back in the 60-70s I worked for Decca Navigator on their HIFIX system and IIRC part of the station set up was a valve-voltmeter, possibly the one you refer to. I've just dug out my HIFIX manual and checked to see if the meter is mentioned but it specifies the Microvac 22B or "any similar valve voltmeter". I think the 22B has a military CT number.

Cheers

Roger/G3VKM

Last edited by G3VKM_Roger; 16th May 2018 at 5:02 pm.
Old 16th May 2018, 8:53 pm   #4
ssaunders
Triode

Here are some pictures.

I think this was built as a small numbers of units as it uses a large number of RS Components parts, and the mechanical build uses drilled holes rather than punched.

The power transformer is not in good shape, but the RM3 lacks the stinkyness one usually associates with a selenium meltdown.

I'm a little way through reverse engineering it, the physical layout drawing is attached.

So I need to repair or renew the transformer and can anyone tell me anything about the resistors?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Front.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	162994   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear pre-set control panel.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	162995   Click image for larger version

Name:	Under Chassis.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	162996   Click image for larger version

Name:	Drawing.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	162997  
Old 16th May 2018, 9:20 pm   #5
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

I remember those resistors from back in the day when there were 'ordinary' carbon composition types and 'high stability' types, which they are. I built an LCR bridge back in the 60's and ordered high stability resistors where needed, very expensive on pocket-money at the time! (And I never got the bridge working properly).
Andy
Old 17th May 2018, 2:44 pm   #6
G3VKM_Roger
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssaunders View Post
I think this was built as a small numbers of units as it uses a large number of RS Components parts, and the mechanical build uses drilled holes rather than punched.
Are they RS Components parts or Radiospares? RSC would date it to the 70s onwards. It was probably a Decca in house unit, they often made dedicated pieces of test gear for their own systems.

Cheers

Roger
Old 17th May 2018, 4:41 pm   #7
ssaunders
Triode

All the relevant components are RS branded, although as I discovered elsewhere on this forum, the rectifier throws back to the earlier Radiospares days.

I'm inclined to agree that this was some kind of "in-house" design and usage so I doubt that I'm going to turn up any documentation anywhere.

I have a question about this kind of instrument: there is a co-ax socket on the front panel labelled "AC Probe". Can anyone suggest what form this probe might have taken? For instance would it have been a simple screened metal pointy thing? Or something more complex with gain and/or attenuation characteristics?
Old 17th May 2018, 6:40 pm   #8
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

It would certainly make sense for those blue hi-stability resistors to be Radiospares in origin (who made them, though?). I bought my components in the 60's from Modern Radio in Bolton, and most came from Radiospares.

Andy
Old 18th May 2018, 8:14 am   #9
barrymagrec
Octode

The case is reminiscent of Gaumont Kalee equ1pment - I wonder if there is any connection?
Closed Thread