UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Apr 2013, 8:10 pm   #21
Boom
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Yet another Bush TV22

Hi Dan, I have every circuit EXCEPT the Trader Sheet so not sure on part numbers. The attached crude file details are taken from my working spare set of coils. Hope it makes sense.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scancoils.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	78746  
Old 17th Apr 2013, 8:27 pm   #22
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

It looks like the picture shift plate has been pushed to one side, hence the crescent. J.
Old 17th Apr 2013, 8:29 pm   #23
dansteele
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Boom, thanks for taking your time to check that out and draw the diagram.

That's (L23 + L24) and L24 that you have measured there as far as I'm aware.

Just re-zeroed the AVO and had another measure,

Where you have 25Ohms I have 22

And where you have 17 I have 10.5 Ohms.

Both of these according to trader sheet 1091/T38 should be 11 ohms.

Reading around 11k on the 10K resistor.

These all appear to be within an acceptable tolerance?

Dan
Old 17th Apr 2013, 8:37 pm   #24
dansteele
Retired Dormant Member

Hi John,

Picture shift plate isn't a term that I'm familiar with at the moment, could you push me in the right direction of where to look?

Dan
Old 17th Apr 2013, 10:07 pm   #25
Boom
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatercathodeshort View Post
It looks like the picture shift plate has been pushed to one side, hence the crescent. J.
Spot on I should think
Old 17th Apr 2013, 10:50 pm   #26
Boom
Retired Dormant Member

Sorry Dan, John didn't say neither did I because I'd forgot about them . If you look at the magnet assembly from the sets rear there are two adjustable screws for horizontal and vertical setting centering.
Old 17th Apr 2013, 11:38 pm   #27
dansteele
Retired Dormant Member

Boom, John,

Thanks so much, funny thing is in all my research of potential pitfalls/common faults I had never come across the need for these to be adjusted. I guess it is not often they shift and hence no need to disturb them.

I've attached a picture of the now full raster. Aurora will be on order tomorrow and I'll see what the test card looks like before diving into the lower deck.

This set had been stored in damp conditions and the chassis is pretty corroded. My aim is to carefully take it all apart and do my best at giving it a shine. Now at least I can proceed with the biggest worries taken care of!

Once again cheers guys, I really appreciate your expertise. I'll be sure to update the thread as work progresses.

Dan
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	full raster.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	78753  
Old 18th Apr 2013, 8:08 am   #28
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

The little puppy squirms away as he hears the word 'Bath time Fido'...

Hello again Dan,
Wait till your Aurora arrives and you have the R.F. deck sorted out before you start scrubbing. Even then do it in very small stages and test after each operation. Wires connected to coils and transformers are very easily damaged.
Keep steel wool where it should be kept, in the bike shed and don't let it anywhere near your TV22 or any other electrical chassis.
It looks like the R.F. deck is oscillating due to poor decoupling but that will sort itself out when you recap the R.F. deck.
Looks good so far, just take it slow and easy. Regards, John.
Old 18th Apr 2013, 9:39 am   #29
Boom
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansteele View Post
I had never come across the need for these to be adjusted. I guess it is not often they shift and hence no need to disturb them.
I suspect that the strength of the magnetic field changes over the years rather than anything actually moves.

I'm looking forward to seeing a picture on this set
Old 22nd Apr 2013, 8:45 pm   #30
dansteele
Retired Dormant Member

Hi guys,

As promised an update,

The Aurora turned up today, plugged it in, bit of fiddling and hey presto the attached is what was displayed.

Have only changed the heater decoupling caps in the lower deck and taken the contrast pot apart as it was completely stuck. The rest of the tuning deck is original.

During playback I do have a white line centre left of the screen from top to bottom to adjust out, but apart from that so far I'm pretty pleased

Next job is to replace perished wiring and cabinet matters.. I'll keep you all updated with progress

Cheers

Dan
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	testc.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	78916  
Old 22nd Apr 2013, 9:43 pm   #31
Nicklyons2
Octode

I reckon that's pretty good progress & a good result - well done. Now as h-k-s/c says just be a bit careful with the cleaning; it's always amazed me the filthy and unkempt state TVs can be happy working in and how poorly they can become when some bright spark cleans them out -trust me I've done it!
Old 23rd Apr 2013, 9:21 am   #32
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

GREAT! Amazing! Seriously, well done. A slight touch on the tuning adjuster should take that sharp edge off the test card.
I know I keep moaning but if you must clean the chassis take the greatest of care and do it in small areas testing after each scrub. Whatever is used to clean it can ingress into tag boards and transformer windings causing no end of problems. The act of unsoldering such old components can ruin them simply from disturbance and the heat from your soldering iron. I don't want to see this heroic effort ending in tears! Remove as little as possible component wise. It would be a shame to smash something that would be difficult to replace.
Regards, John.
Old 23rd Apr 2013, 10:21 am   #33
dansteele
Retired Dormant Member

Hi guys,

Thanks for your comments, for this set I think I'm going to heed your warnings and refrain from a full "bling" restoration on the chassis. I'll gently clean the rest of the loose dirt off and replace the CRT, scan coil, EHT, and dropper looms as the insulation has completely perished on these parts.

I will save the OTT restoration for my 83 prefix set which has already had all the tag boards removed by the previous owner, I'm going to have to patiently wait for a CRT, scan coils and LOPT to come up for sale as these are all missing.

I'll get a few more photos up once I've tweaked the picture a bit more and got rid of the white line.

Thanks for all your help, really one of the friendliest boards I have come across.

Dan
Old 23rd Apr 2013, 11:18 am   #34
Boom
Retired Dormant Member

Excellent Dan, It's looking good with not a trace of Ion burn. I'm not sure what you mean by 'white line' but it may be worth having a twiddle with the line drive trimmer underneath the top chassis. Tweak it for maximum width.
Old 28th Apr 2013, 1:59 pm   #35
dansteele
Retired Dormant Member

Hi All,

TV22 up and running with around 15 hours use so far, has been fun going through all the B&W classics. Currently have my WDTV plugged into the Aurora as a source. Finally got round to watching Psycho for the first time, personally don't feel that a modern would have done it justice!

See photos for where it now sits in my lounge. Managed to find the perfect table for it to sit on top of. Artefacts on the screen are due to the limitations of the camera on my phone (or perhaps the operator)

Next step with the TV22 is to get a freeview source with built in USB playback instead of the WDTV; either going down the Raspberry Pi route as its nice and small or there are a few commercial examples out there that fit the bill.

Also, its time to take a relaxing break from TV's, got the 3 amplifiers in the last picture to work on and bring up to standard, along with a valve active crossover to design/build so I can bi-amp the Leaks into the speakers... but that's best saved for another thread (or diyaudio)

Dan
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tv22fR.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	79149   Click image for larger version

Name:	tv22 closeup.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	79150   Click image for larger version

Name:	LEAKS.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	79151  
Old 29th Apr 2013, 7:27 pm   #36
IJK2008
Hexode

Dan

TV22 up and running in 35 posts! That must be a record. Well done.

Ian
Old 29th Apr 2013, 9:42 pm   #37
dansteele
Retired Dormant Member

Haha!

Many thanks Ian!

Dan
Closed Thread