UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Mar 2018, 12:04 pm   #1
Rejectostat
Hexode

Default BVWTM Reopening Event Sunday 25th March

The British Vintage Wireless & Television Museum is marking its reopening with a table top sale on 25th March 2018 from 10.30 onwards, entry will be free. After sorting out much of the collection there will also be surplus items available for sale. This will give visitors an opportunity to get a bargain, support the museum and also own an object which has been part of the collection.

There is generally good unmetered local street marking. Public transport from West Dulwich rail station which is about 15min walk, or Number 3 bus which is about 10min walk.
Old 21st Mar 2018, 8:15 pm   #2
dragonser
Heptode

Default Re: BVWTM Reopening Event Sunday 25th March

Hi,
I hope to get along. But the leaflet I got sent said admission was going to be £ 3-00.
Old 21st Mar 2018, 10:10 pm   #3
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Yes a large number of interesting radios. If you like getting old radios to work again you will take home some fun! We have all been working hard for this at the museum and I hope to have the television room in full vision for the event.
Hope to see as many of you there as possible. Regards, John.
Old 21st Mar 2018, 10:38 pm   #4
1100 man
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatercathodeshort View Post
I hope to have the television room in full vision for the event.
Now that is an opportunity too good to miss!! I must try and get there as I missed the TV day in 2016.

All the best
Nick
Old 22nd Mar 2018, 12:32 pm   #5
Rejectostat
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonser View Post
Hi,
I hope to get along. But the leaflet I got sent said admission was going to be £ 3-00.
I understand it to be a free event to celebrate the reopening of the Museum. Certainly Friends group members have free admission. It costs very little to become a "Friend" of the Museum, so any visitors on the day who are not "Friends" may care to join us in becoming a "Friend", thereby supporting our greatest national accessible wireless and television resource - especially as it now has a stable long term future in its self-contained grounds.
Old 22nd Mar 2018, 8:33 pm   #6
slidertogrid
Octode

I would love to go the last time I went to the Museum was in 1990 I had a fantastic day and bought one of Gerry's Peter Pan reproduction radio's which he signed and dated for me on the base. The set has pride of place on the bookcase in my bedroom the only set in that room.
I am trying to encourage a friend to come with me but he isn't really that interested in old radio sets but does have a collection of black and white TV sets.
Does anyone know if there are going to be any old tellies for sale on the day? It would certainly help me persuade him to come..
( I have an agenda I hate driving especially in London and his car is much newer and more comfortable than my old thing...)
If I am not successful I will have to fire up chugga boom and brave the drive myself I suppose..

Rich
Old 23rd Mar 2018, 7:16 am   #7
PWH
Heptode

Good luck , I wish I could be there
Old 23rd Mar 2018, 10:20 am   #8
Rejectostat
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidertogrid View Post
I am trying to encourage a friend to come with me but he isn't really that interested in old radio sets but does have a collection of black and white TV sets.
Does anyone know if there are going to be any old tellies for sale on the day? It would certainly help me persuade him to come..Rich
I believe there may be a couple of televisions for sale, later plastics cased receivers rather than woodies but there may be others. As noted previously it is hoped the television room will be in "full vision", so if your friend is interested in old televisions he would surely appreciate the television display anyway. I can't think there would be anywhere else in the U.K. where you would see so many old crt televisions actually working and showing genuine pictures all at the same time.
Old 23rd Mar 2018, 12:52 pm   #9
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Is it at the same address as before?

Can j-random-person (like me) attend, possibly by becoming a 'friend' on the day?
Old 23rd Mar 2018, 2:31 pm   #10
Rejectostat
Hexode

The event is open to all, the Committee hope visitors may decide to become "Friends" of the museum having seen the collection and facilities, especially as it is a very modest cost to support the Museum.

The address is as before, but it should be remembered that the main brick buildings are now private residences and no longer part of the museum. (Hence it is no longer possible to shelter in the kitchen prior to event opening time).
Old 23rd Mar 2018, 3:40 pm   #11
slidertogrid
Octode

Is the whole of the house no longer the museum? As I understood it the upstairs had been converted into Flats but I thought the downstairs was still part of the museum as I thought it had been leased to the BVWS?
Unless I got I wrong...
Rich.
Old 23rd Mar 2018, 10:07 pm   #12
neil29
Heptode

I had no idea that the house was no longer part of the museum any more?. I thought that it along with the outbuildings were safe as far as keeping the whole collection together was concerned etc..

Cheers
Neil.
Old 24th Mar 2018, 1:32 am   #13
marconi_pete
Hexode

Hi does anyone know if this event is still going ahead? Just went onto the British wireless and television museum website and theres a notice stating that there are ongoing development works and that the museum was closed to the public for the rest of the year. Is this an old message? Do they have wheelchair access?

Thanks,
Peter

Last edited by marconi_pete; 24th Mar 2018 at 1:56 am.
Old 24th Mar 2018, 10:09 am   #14
audiomagpie
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidertogrid View Post
Is the whole of the house no longer the museum? As I understood it the upstairs had been converted into Flats but I thought the downstairs was still part of the museum as I thought it had been leased to the BVWS?
Just to give clarity to a common misunderstanding:

The British Vintage Wireless & Television Museum and the British Vintage Wireless Society are two completely separate entities. And they each have their own committee. The Museum has charity status, the BVWS a membership society, there is absolutely no official connection between them. There is no legal or financial connection.

However, the BVWS does support the Museum by making donations: Profit from the NVCF event, monies raised at 'Bring and Buy' tables at our events, monies from 'Valveman' DVD sales, etc.

And long may this wonderful and longstanding friendship between the two continue!

But I do know that the house is now private residences and totally out of bounds to the museum. All museum activity is now in the wooden buildings at the top of the garden.

BVWS committee chairman
Old 24th Mar 2018, 10:17 am   #15
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by marconi_pete View Post
Hi does anyone know if this event is still going ahead? Just went onto the British wireless and television museum website and theres a notice stating that there are ongoing development works and that the museum was closed to the public for the rest of the year. Is this an old message? Do they have wheelchair access?

Thanks,
Peter
If I receive updated information for the website directly from the Museum committee then it will be updated. So far I have not received anything.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 24th Mar 2018, 11:36 am   #16
line sync
Heptode

After reading here that The Vintage Wireless and Television Museum is not really a museum anymore but just a large shed in the back garden makes me feel sad.

What has happened to all the lovely old radios and televisions that were in the house? Have these been sold off or have they been put into storage so that no one can see them anymore?

By how I'm seeing this, it is a great shame because I went to Gerry's house a few times and he had probably the biggest collection of radios in the country and it was a very enjoyable day out to see them all.

Obviously I don't know what was written in Gerry's will when he gifted his house and collection to the BVWS but I would have thought he wanted his house and collection to stay intact so people and collectors could still come and enjoy it .

Robin
Old 24th Mar 2018, 1:13 pm   #17
audiomagpie
Heptode

.....He didn't gift his house and collection to the BVWS, where on earth did that idea come from?!

It was inevitable that things were going to change after Gerry's passing, he and the Museum committee did think forward long beforehand and put plans in place for the future.

The museum will still exist at its current location for the enjoyment of us all for many years to come and I'd recommend that we pay a visit and see the most marvellous achievements of the hard working and dedicated museum committee and helpers. It's still an incredible place to visit, still quite unlike anywhere else on Earth, just as before...

The re opening event and table top sale IS happening tomorrow...

BVWS committee chairman

Last edited by audiomagpie; 24th Mar 2018 at 1:18 pm.
Old 24th Mar 2018, 1:30 pm   #18
YoungManGW
Hexode

Having visited the museum before Gerry died, I have to say that one of the very real joys was that the collection spread itself through the house, and out into the sheds. As I understand it, the house was willed to a private individual, who has decided to split it up into apartments, whether sold off or rented out I don't know; but that the BVWTM has managed to hang onto the sheds. A shame that the museum can no longer boast the wonderful eccentric domestic household feel that it once did, but time passes, things change. Good luck, and thanks, to all those seeking to keep the legacy alive in some form.
Regards,
Richard

Last edited by YoungManGW; 24th Mar 2018 at 1:43 pm. Reason: Spelling correction.
Old 24th Mar 2018, 2:43 pm   #19
neil29
Heptode

I have to agree with the comments that its a shame that the house has been removed from the whole experience and sold on. as I was under the impression from the numerous times I read about keeping it all together that something was in place to safeguard the entire site for as long as possible but obviously that's not now the case and people can say what they want about inevitability but it's still a big disappointment nevertheless.
Old 24th Mar 2018, 4:50 pm   #20
murphymad
Heptode

Just to make it clear for everyone.

When I set up the Charity in 2004 the ground floor of the house (only) and the access and all of the outbuildings were assigned to a lease for the purposes of housing the museum and its contents.
The upstairs of the house WAS NEVER part of the lease and this was Gerry's express wishes.

Although the whole house and outbuildings were filled with items and this was absolutely fine while Gerry was living there it was always known that we would have to vacate the upstairs part of the house.
It was discussed and agreed with Gerry that changes would need to be made and it was his wish that Eileen would have a permanent dwelling within 23 Rosendale Road if she chose to.

In 2004 the value of the house was such that on Gerry's passing there would be no death duties to be paid. However the changes in property values in London since then meant that there was no way out of paying a huge bill of nearly a quarter of a million.

Well the choices were simple, either develop the building in such a way that the huge bill could be paid from the proceeds or sell up!

Selling up would almost certainly meant the end of the museum as it was known forever.
There was no rich benefactor waving a cheque book to stomp up the death duties and so with the best interests of the museum and the collection in mind the development path was taken.

I should add that although the space in the house is no longer part of the museum, that almost all of the items in it have been housed into the outbuildings.

We demolished the old transformer shed, the valve lab and the other shed that housed the ITV transmitter as they had been patched up several times and really were at the end of their life. These were replaced lsat year with a bigger building making better use of the space which now houses a good deal of the collection.

It is planned that the old wood work shed that is now also at the point of 'end of life' due to rot and structural deterioration will be replaced with a new building that is much bigger and sited next to the new building of 2017 with direct covered walkway connection.
This will further increase the ground area of the museum.

Other changes have been made in the ground floor stores where redundant space has been turned into display space and the upstairs stores will shortly become the archive and component stores area.

What I want to say is simply, stop speculating as to how bad it must all be now and come and see for yourself. The collection is still there, money is being raised by museum events to continue to make the whole place a unique attraction and a many hundreds of hours are being given by the volunteers and Committee to ensure the museum survives with as much charm and atmosphere as it always had.

Now it was Gerry's wish that Eileen would one day live at 23 Rosendale Road if she chose to do so. Well this is now happening and so there is a continuation of the long history of the museum being kept alive.

The museum trust will get a new full 25 year lease from 2018 which is great news and further ensures the future of the collection and its home.

So, Why not make the trip tomorrow and COME AND SEE for yourself.
Support the museum events as this is really the only way that it can survive for everyone.

I will be on the BVWS tables as usual and I hope to see many of you there.

Mike...