UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Apr 2013, 8:48 pm   #41
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Default Re: K-B Featherlight (VC11) restoration

Hello,

I might be. Let me look up my Ebay records to check.

Regards,

Dazzlevision
Old 10th Apr 2013, 8:22 pm   #42
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Yes, it was me.
Old 11th Apr 2013, 10:38 pm   #43
Niechcial,Steve
Hexode

Nice to be in touch again- the Sony is still going strong.

Back to the KB- you're quite right of course about the intended life span, but the real issue was the reliability in that life span. I don't have any figures for the 60s, but I remember that for the early colour sets the UK manufactured ones had an incredible 4.5 call outs per year compared with the Japanese at 0.5 per year. The Sony 9-306 UBs from the same as the KB are only just now presenting faults, and pretty minor ones at that. Granted they were all transistor without the extra hazard of all that KB heat in a small cabinet, but even so the superiority in component quality is very noticeable. The Sony however has inferior pictures to the KB- particularly on UHF.
Old 12th Apr 2013, 6:53 am   #44
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Hello Steve,

I'd be wary of comparing valve versus transistor reliability figures. A more accurate comparison might be between the Philips 11TG190AT T-Vette dual standard versus the Sony TV9-306 or the Sony TV9-90UB. The T-Vette was pretty reliable and gave very good results - picture quality and sensitivity wise; better than either Sony IMHO.

As for colour, there were no dual standard sets from the Far East, so we would have to compare the 17" Thorn 8000 with the Sony KV-1800, for example and there, the Japanese sets were much better in terms of reliability, component quality and manufacturing quality. I've no data on the initial costs though. In the years of the colour TV boom, the UK manufacturers certainly plumped for quantity over quality and that was the beginning of the end for all of them!

Regards,

Dazzlevision
Old 12th Apr 2013, 10:16 am   #45
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niechcial,Steve View Post
Nice to be in touch again- the Sony is still going strong.
Hello Steve,

I'm glad to hear the Sony KV-1320UB is still going, but they do that, don't they? That's why the indigenous UK TV manufacturing industry died out. It's ironic that their Japanese/Korean/Taiwanese successors in the UK have all followed suit, but for different reasons (e.g. British labour became relatively expensive compared to China and Eastern Europe).

I fondly remember there being a KV-1320UB in a local HiFi shop that were Sony dealers. It displayed BBC2 Test Card F all day, every day (except Sundays) and by the time it was either sold or taken off display, I was told the Test Card image had been burnt into the CRT's phosphors!

Going back to the subject of the VC11, I have only ever seen one example of the RGD "Night Owl" version, which had a clock/timer feature and (IIRC) a much grander wooden cabinet.

Regards,

Dazzlevision

Last edited by dazzlevision; 12th Apr 2013 at 10:18 am. Reason: Added text.
Old 12th Apr 2013, 1:43 pm   #46
FERNSEH
Dekatron

From the December 1964 Practical Television:

DFWB.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Featherlite1.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	78553   Click image for larger version

Name:	Featherlite2.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	78554  
Old 19th Apr 2013, 6:36 pm   #47
Niechcial,Steve
Hexode

Yes that certainly was the beginning of the second set trend. If I remeber correctly the KB was the first British small screen set to have a UHF tuner as an option.
Old 19th Apr 2013, 7:11 pm   #48
ntscuser
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzlevision View Post
Well, after giving the cabinet front moulding and cabinet shell a good clean with Greygate plastic polish (to remove some ground in black marks) and then foaming cleanser
Hi Dazzlevision , when you say "foaming cleanser" do you mean that spray bleach normally used for removing mildew in bathrooms?
Old 19th Apr 2013, 7:19 pm   #49
nickdoofah
Banned

wow!

that set looks like new again

tube looks very good indeed

well done
Old 20th Apr 2013, 6:41 am   #50
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntscuser View Post
Hi Dazzlevision, when you say "foaming cleanser" do you mean that spray bleach normally used for removing mildew in bathrooms?
Hello,

The foaming clanser I use is the sort sold to the TV repair trade (and doubtless other trades) by such firms as CPC in Preston (a division of Fanell Elctronic Components of Leeds).

There are various brands, Electrolube, Servisol, Ambersil, etc.

I use this: http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/search/pr...KU=SA160001000

Other contributors to the forum may have other products they prefer, but I find this works very well.

Foaming cleanser was introduced (at least to the TV trade) in the 1970s and, along with desoldering pumps, was a godsend!

Regards,

Dazzlevision
Old 20th Apr 2013, 11:31 am   #51
ntscuser
Hexode

Thanks brilliant

I never worked in the servicing trade myself so a lot of it is new to me
Old 25th Apr 2013, 10:47 am   #52
Focus Diode
Octode

Excellent work indeed and how nice to see it functioning.

I was given a similar model some 30 years ago which was in a right state. It had been dropped down a flight of stairs destroying the CRT implosion protection glass (a protected CRT was fitted later and available for replacement purposes), as well as a huge break in the cabinet. The CRT itself had survived despite huge chunks out of the glass! Needless to say I was terrified of it. It never got restored sadly.

Brian
Old 25th Apr 2013, 1:36 pm   #53
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Does anyone remember the TV advert for the 'Featherlight' ?

A little girl was watching it in her bedroom and her mum called up the stairs 'Melony, Tea time and bring the television.' She picked it up and came down carrying the receiver.
'This is the incredible new television from K.B.' etc.
They forgot to mention that the handle was a very weak point with these transportables and many met their end crashing to the floor. I had one in the kitchen/diner of my London home for years and like 99% of transportables, it never left it's spot on the sideboard! John.
Closed Thread