UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 9th Jun 2013, 5:48 pm   #1
LRS0001
Retired Dormant Member

Default List of Old GPO Exchange Locations?

Hi All

Does anyone know where I may be able to find a list of all the location names of the old GPO exchanges and the STD codes at that time for an area in the UK back in the late 1920s, 30s and 40s?

I’ve had a good Google search around and not been able to find anything.

Many thanks;

LRS
Old 9th Jun 2013, 5:55 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: List of Old GPO Exchange Locations?

You won't find STD codes for that period. STD (Subscriber Trunk Dialling) was introduced in the 1960s. Before that, long distance calls were connected manually by operators at the exchanges.
Old 9th Jun 2013, 7:24 pm   #3
LRS0001
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
You won't find STD codes for that period. STD (Subscriber Trunk Dialling) was introduced in the 1960s. Before that, long distance calls were connected manually by operators at the exchanges.
Hi Paul

Yes thanks, as soon as I read your reply I realised my error re STD…

What I’m really after is the correct dial labelling exchange names that would have been operating and thus printed on the dial labels for given areas of the country during the late 1920s and during the 1930s.

I want to create a reproduction dial label that is historically accurate for my area back in the late 20s – 30s.

Thanks;
Old 9th Jun 2013, 8:06 pm   #4
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

If there are any local shops, pubs, etc., it's often possible to find out their old phone numbers by looking them up in old volumes of Kelly's Directory, which should be available in your local public library.

Nick.
Old 9th Jun 2013, 8:07 pm   #5
AndiiT
Octode

Hi, Have you tired contacting someone at, or joining the Telecoms Heritage Group?

Regards

Andrew
Old 10th Jun 2013, 8:19 pm   #6
LRS0001
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist View Post
If there are any local shops, pubs, etc., it's often possible to find out their old phone numbers by looking them up in old volumes of Kelly's Directory, which should be available in your local public library.
Nick.
Quote:
Hi, Have you tired contacting someone at, or joining the Telecoms Heritage Group?
Regards
Andrew
Thanks Andrew & Nick

A good suggestion, Nick.

I just discovered the THG the other day. Looks like a very comprehensive resource, Andrew.

Thanks both again.

Simon
Old 11th Jun 2013, 10:50 pm   #7
Pellseinydd
Heptode

I have the set of the GPO's annual 'List of Exchanges' (as at the 31st of March each year). The printed set of books runs from the mid 1920's through to 1985 when it went 'on-line' on BT's Inranet. Fills nearly four foot of shelf space. They list all exchanges and give details of each such as type of exchange, number of business & residential subscribers etc. I've also got the GPO EI's and the earlier TI's which show what type of dial labels were used for what type of exchanges. Send a PM indicating which exchange and I should be able to sort the info out. I've also got a huge list of dialling codes - both the STD codes and local codes going back to pre WW2 gleaned over the years from my hundreds of STD code books (going back to 1960) and old telephone directories back the year 'dot'.
Closed Thread