UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 24th Mar 2012, 4:39 pm   #1
mkmagna
Retired Dormant Member

Default GEC 706 New Gecophone

Hi,

Just looking for a bit of information. I have a GEC New Gecophone 706 and wondered how they differ from the standard GPO 706. On the bottom is stencilled TELE 2K/ATT and a label inside the case states New Gecophone. From what I can tell it is identical to a standard 706 and I've converted it to work using a standard wiring diagram.

Were these phones produced for private retail sale or where they supplied to the GPO just like any other 706? Were they produced during the same period as the standard 706? The dial is consistent with early 706's with a black finger dial and the outer ring has just numbers with chevrons inside the finger holes.
Old 24th Mar 2012, 4:50 pm   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: GEC 706 New Gecophone

Useful info here: http://www.britishtelephones.com/gec/tel2k.htm
Old 24th Mar 2012, 5:29 pm   #3
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

This page, from the same site, shows the GPO 706 and you can compare the two. Note there was a Mk1 and Mk2 version.

GEC, of course, also manufactured 706 instruments for the GPO. The only obvious differences, that I'm aware of, were variations in colour combination as against the GPO versions and also the curly cord; Gecophone versions often having a smaller outside diameter cord but I don't think that was consistent. Some also had a 'solid' non curly cord.

Regarding private retail sale, this wasn't commonplace until the introduction of PST. So as your instrument is, presumably, pre 1967, this particular 'phone likely began life on rental. I say that on the assumption GPO and non GPO providers had similar arrangements regarding provision of equipment. Your 'phone most likely began life in office complex or whatever and not in domestic situation.
Old 24th Mar 2012, 7:23 pm   #4
AndiiT
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren-UK View Post
..... I say that on the assumption GPO and non GPO providers had similar arrangements regarding provision of equipment. Your 'phone most likely began life in office complex or whatever and not in domestic situation.
It's fair to say that the GEC phone may have been part of a complete system, including the switchboard/PBX, rented from a private supplier such as Telephone Rentals (latterly Mercury). The lines from the exchange itself being provided by the GPO as part of a separate rental contract.

Alternatively the phone may have been used as part of a PAX system, where there is no access to the PSTN.

The OP mentions that the phone is identical to a 706, the converse is probably the case where the 706 is identical to the Gecophone;
706 being the number designated by the GPO/BT for the GEC/Ericsson/Ferranti/Plessey and other manufacturers models of this style/type of telephone.

Regards
Andrew
Old 24th Mar 2012, 10:28 pm   #5
mkmagna
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for the information.

Andrew, you are probably correct about the phone being part of a PAX system as the centre dial was from GEC and had "PAX COUPLE" hand written across the middle.

It has a Mk1 plastic base and what is rather nice is a chrome carry handle rather than plastic or the chrome caps that I've previously seen on 706s.
Old 27th Mar 2012, 4:36 pm   #6
russell_w_b
Dekatron

If your instrument is anything like the Ericsson N1901 (which it will be), it might easily be of slightly better spec than the GPO sanctioned instrument.

Here's mine.

Some PAX 706 instruments didn't have ASTICs fitted (induction coils), but instead used a resistive network to achieve side-tone.

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 27th Mar 2012, 8:48 pm   #7
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

I also have a non-GPO 706, I think GEC, which doesn't have the reversible regulator board.
Closed Thread