UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 27th Jan 2013, 11:32 am   #1
keithinuk
Retired Dormant Member

Default Gecophone ST1501

Hi again,

I picked up this telephone the other day and was hoping someone would know if I can still use it. It has no lead and the dial needs a part, but that's no problem to fix.

I would like to use it as an extension 'phone if possible, as I don't think my 'phone system will work with the old pulse-dial 'phones.

It's from the 1950's I gather and would be nice to put it to use again.
Old 27th Jan 2013, 1:30 pm   #2
OscarFoxtrot
Heptode

Default Re: Gecophone ST1501

Circuit diagram is here
http://www.britishtelephones.com/gec...res/ks7533.jpg

The telephone was intended for DC ringing on a PAX, as such the phone does not have a ringing capacitor and the bell might not work on AC.
Old 27th Jan 2013, 1:33 pm   #3
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

It does not appear to have an ASTIC (coil) either.

What are the two components shown bottom left of the diagram (marked 30 & 100 Ohms)?
Old 27th Jan 2013, 1:43 pm   #4
keithinuk
Retired Dormant Member

It's the internal bell and a coil I think.
Old 27th Jan 2013, 3:44 pm   #5
AC/HL
Dekatron

Quite an oddball. A dial, so for an auto exchange, but the mic and earphone are in series so no sidetone suppression.
DC ringing, the bell coil and the 100 ohm (lamp?) look to be wired in parallel. Must be for a special application.
Old 28th Jan 2013, 5:50 pm   #6
keithinuk
Retired Dormant Member

As it seems to be a PAX DC mains phone, it looks like I will have to modify and add the parts it needs to make the phone work again.
I will start looking for parts.
Old 8th Feb 2013, 8:54 pm   #7
keithinuk
Retired Dormant Member

Could someone answer this for me, to rewire this Gecophone, you have to remove a wire from the capacitor, dose that mean you don't need a 2uf capacitor?
I know useless, well the 332L I got should be easier to do, as it was made for a GPO line and was reworked in 62.
Old 9th Feb 2013, 12:25 am   #8
Nicklyons2
Octode

Hi, I managed to get one of these 'phones to work quite well on a standard BT line. The bell set is too low impedance for direct connexion, I used a small mains transformer from an old batt/mains radio, sort of mains to 10Vac, you might need to experiment a bit. The primary was just fed from the BT plug pin 3 ringer cap feed or you could put a 2.2uF internally and keep the phone as '2 wire'; the secondary just fed the bell directly. The dial connexions are shown on that diagram, if you wish to add one. If you're still on BT the chances are D.C. loop (pulse dialling) will still work. The lack of ASTIC wasn't much of a problem, I found; the sound quality on modern landlines is so good the extra enhancement this provided on the lines of the 1930s isn't so important - although you do hear yourself quite well! I've got some dials I think if you want to try it,
Nick
Closed Thread