UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Nov 2018, 6:05 pm   #1
toshiba tony
Heptode

Default Moorside Edge

There used to be 3 masts at the Moorside Edge site near Huddersfield, I lived at Slaithwaite. We were allowed out of school to watch it. I'm trying to work out the year, but struggling. Anyone? Thanks.
Old 21st Nov 2018, 6:32 pm   #2
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Default Re: Moorside Edge

This post card claims to be from the 1940’s but I cannot confirm that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B1CD1192-5F7D-4CDC-B823-CFB729F911DA.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	173205  
Old 21st Nov 2018, 8:44 pm   #3
toshiba tony
Heptode

Hello Frank,
Can't claim to be so old. I was born in 57, was about 10 when it happened, but the photo is correct. Thanks.
Old 21st Nov 2018, 9:29 pm   #4
Synchrodyne
Nonode

Possibly this may be of some help:

http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/rd/pubs/reports/1970-21.pdf

Cheers,
Old 21st Nov 2018, 9:54 pm   #5
Nymrod121
Nonode

That postcard shows the original 'T' antenna (?'Regional Service'?/'National Service'? *) that was supported between the two left-hand masts.

I think it's quite probable that the mast in the RHS-foreground was removed in the early '70s, along with the 'T' antenna - as implied in the BBC Research Department report (and many thanks to Synchrodyne at this point).

There were further mast/antenna adjustments done as part of the station replacement project carried out during 1983-1984. My recollections on the exact details are a bit hazy - sorry! - but here are my best efforts, by way of an annotated version of the picture which I hope is of interest.

Best wishes
Guy

(*BBC Engineering 1922-1972, E Pawley: p89)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ME_antenna notes.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	173219  

Last edited by Nymrod121; 21st Nov 2018 at 10:17 pm. Reason: amendment re T antenna / add reference to 'Pawley'
Old 21st Nov 2018, 10:41 pm   #6
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

It opened in 1931, the Wikki page says, Broadcasting on the North Regional Wavelength from May and the postcard says "North Regional" but that may fit with the Forties as well. The BBC document suggests modernisation in 1970. I wonder if you saw the first major upgrade at the age of ten Tony [1967 when R1 etc came into being] perhaps then altered three years later or maybe you were, in fact, older If you were taken on a school outing it's was probably a significant enough event to have been in the local newspaper! To be 10 you would have to be at Junior School. Is that right? What did you see?

Dave W

Last edited by dave walsh; 21st Nov 2018 at 10:48 pm.
Old 21st Nov 2018, 11:56 pm   #7
toshiba tony
Heptode

I'm sorry, I struggle nowadays, what I meant to say was what was the year they dropped one of the masts. They didn't dismantle it. It was dropped in seconds, my error, it made the Examiner, with pictures.
Old 22nd Nov 2018, 1:43 am   #8
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

No apologies needed at all Tony. I'm trying to put that together with what Guy said about a mast being dropped in the seventies. Are you still thinking you were 10? I'm very surprised that I didn't know anything at all about Moorside or that it was in such an ideal position for MW Broadcasting with it's extreme height and wet feet! It must have been so crucial, especially during the war. Perhaps the Examiner records will help but I'm not so confident, unfortunately!

The Bury Times went through as lot of changes [like most local papers] but I [naively] assumed they would have kept their extensive photo archive intact. Now when they want to do a "back to 1968" feature, all they can produce is a "dot to dot" grainy image, presumably from a library micro-fiche reel. I asked what had happened and "answer came there none". You'd think it would make a good story-really

Dave
Closed Thread