UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Nov 2018, 7:13 pm   #21
Station X

Default Re: Dynatron HFC2A Radiogram.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biffo_the_Bear View Post
I just connected my multimeter (digital) over the capacitor I thought was at fault (the one at the top in pic 1, out of its holder), and the resistance gradually increases to 0.93. I did the same over the other capacitor (still in its holder top right in pic 3) and it gradually increased to 0.76. That makes me think the capacitor is probably OK ?
You need to state units. If the reading is 0.93 ohms or 0.76 ohms, which I doubt, then it's extremely low indeed.

What range is your meter set to? Unless it's auto-ranging it'll have more than one ohms range. If it is auto-ranging the units will be displayed, possibly k (kilohms or 1000 ohms) or M (Megaohms or 1,000,000 ohms).

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 17th Nov 2018, 7:14 pm   #22
Biffo_the_Bear
Retired Dormant Member

Oh blimey, obvious really - yes I've found them ! Not sure why I was expecting something different. Both fuses are fine.
Old 17th Nov 2018, 7:17 pm   #23
Biffo_the_Bear
Retired Dormant Member

I had it on "20k" - also has 2000k, 200k, 2000 and 200. I've only ever used it to test continuity, not measure resistance !
Old 17th Nov 2018, 7:23 pm   #24
Station X

If you haven't already done so, I suggest you download the service information for your radiogram. It contains a drawing showing exactly where most of the components are located.

https://www.service-data.com/product...19/1820/a11319

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 17th Nov 2018, 7:40 pm   #25
Biffo_the_Bear
Retired Dormant Member

Brilliant, have just ordered it.

I turned the unit off, unplugged the right speaker and turned the unit on again. With the volume turned up I am now getting sound out of the left speaker - quite weak, but clear enough. When I turn the unit off and plug the right speaker in, then then turn it on again, right speaker works loud and clear but nothing discernible from the left. Does that help with the diagnosis ?
Closed Thread