UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Jan 2018, 6:29 pm   #1
coopzone
Hexode

Default Fixing an EM80 Magic Eye

I acquired an ekco A274 last week. Every since I have been looking for a replacement EM80 valve. But no longer!

I was surprised at the price of EM80's (at £15.00), so I investigated it a bit further. I noticed that the anode resister (470k) appeared to have 0volt on pin 7 of the EM80. I measured it's value and it was ok. Next I removed the EM80 and checked pin 7 again (on the socket) and bingo 250V.

So I checked the resistance from pin 7 to all the other pins on the valve - only to find a dead short to pin 2 (cathode). So it looks like I need a new EM80 after all.

Then I thought, maybe it's some sort of loose metal debre possibly a bit of grid degraded over the years, so I thought what the hell. It's broke anyway I'll give it a good shake and thump!

After this I tested pin 7 again and hey presto - no more short!

Tested it it back in the radio and it works a treat. See photo

Anyone else had this sort of experience ?

coop zone
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0008.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	156440  
Old 30th Jan 2018, 6:35 pm   #2
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Default Re: Fixing an EM80 Magic Eye

Intermittent valves were common enough when I was fixing radios etc, so not unusual. Just how long it will last is unknown, have see how well it lasts.
Old 30th Jan 2018, 6:53 pm   #3
paulsherwin

It's always worth giving them a tap and a shake if there's an internal short. Occasionally you get lucky, and there's nothing to lose.
Old 30th Jan 2018, 8:16 pm   #4
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

I once repaired a CRT from an old oscilloscope with an O/C heater by applying current-limited high voltage across the heater pins. It worked, but only lasted a few weeks.
Old 30th Jan 2018, 9:46 pm   #5
Sideband
Dekatron

I had a DK32 battery mixer valve supposedly brand new that had a dead short from screen grid to anode. With nothing to lose, I applied 50V DC from a current limited supply across the shorted pins. There was a flash inside the valve and when I checked, the short had gone. What's more, the valve then worked perfectly and continues to do so...something like 10 years now.
Old 30th Jan 2018, 10:37 pm   #6
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopzone View Post
I acquired an ekco A274 last week. Every since I have been looking for a replacement EM80 valve. But no longer!

I was surprised at the price of EM80's (at £15.00), so I investigated it a bit further.
If you do need an EM80 they're one of the few magic eyes that are very plentiful and typically cost around £5.00 new, plus about £5.00 post from Russia. I've had several and they're excellent. They're also known as '6BR5'/6EP1. The only slight issue with them is that the 'bottle' is about 1mm larger in diameter. In most cases that won't matter, but in one set I restored, the EM80 was fitted in a shroud into which the new one wouldn't quite fit. I just made a new shroud from hardwood.

Should you end up needing one, here's where I got mine from:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Russian-M...75.c100623.m-1

In one instance I was led a merry dance thinking that the eye or the circuitry was faulty, when in fact what was causing the eye to be sluggish was that on an internal frame aerial even when signals were received at seemingly good strength, the AVC voltage didn't go negative sufficiently to operate the eye. When I plugged in an external aerial, the eye worked fine.

Hope that helps.

Every success with the set.
Old 1st Feb 2018, 9:25 am   #7
Singlofty
Tetrode

The Russian replacements that I purchased are also 5 or 6 mm longer than the originals and wouldn't fit into a Regentone A155 as the socket fouled the dial cord. Coincidentally I've just fitted one to an Ecko A274 but can't get the agc voltage above -0.5v so it won't respond. Not sure if this isn't just down to signal strength though.
Dave
Old 1st Feb 2018, 7:38 pm   #8
David G4EBT
Dekatron

When I restored a Pye 'Fenman 1' some time ago, the EM80 display didn't vary, even on what appeared to be quite strong signals. I tried a new Russian one, with no improvement, so I built a little tester to enable me to vary the negative voltage on the grid;- eg, 0V, -1.5V, - 3V etc. The original eye worked fine as did the new one. Then it dawned on me that the AGC voltage wasn't going sufficiently negative when relying on the internal aerial. As soon as I attached an external aerial, the eye became very lively.

Similarly, when I restored a Unitra Figaro Special, which uses a DM70 'exclamation mark' magic eye, on the 'Figaro' internal ferrite rod, off tune the AGC voltage on the grid of the DM70 was -0.45V, but with what seemed to be a strong signal tuned in, it only went to -0.75V. However, when I attached an external aerial, the AGC Voltage would go as much as -9V negative and the exclamation mark would shrink to just the dot.

I've attached a sketch of the circuit and pics of the EM80 tester that I made, and the broken shroud from the Fenam 1, caused by my trying to fit the slightly larger new Russian eye, alongside the new shroud I made. I sprayed the shroud gold before fitting. The third pic shows the EM80 display with 0V on the grid. To get the 'angel wings' to open wide, took about -4.5V.

Hope that's of interest.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EM80 Magic Eye Tester Circuit.jpg
Views:	792
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	156555   Click image for larger version

Name:	Top View.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	156556   Click image for larger version

Name:	Display 1.jpg