UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Feb 2018, 2:48 am   #41
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.
Default Re: Dropper capacitor safety

I'm pleased that finally the consensus is that type X are not suitable as droppers. I have held this belief for a long time but was told I was totally wrong and that they were the best thing since sliced bread.
Thank you all for restoring some sanity.
Old 4th Feb 2018, 10:47 am   #42
Herald1360
Dekatron

They might well be the best thing since sliced bread- for the manufacturers of cheap mains powered gizmos like remote control socket switches etc etc. Built in obsolescence (life of a few years) and "It has to be that way for safety compliance, guv.".
.........O..Chris....O
Old 4th Feb 2018, 3:12 pm   #43
John G8MWF
Hexode

Well this is just an idea but what if I try this out by shorting the cap?
I already have a couple of bad valves with good heaters and if I collect a few more, in time, and try this out not much would be lost and perhaps something would be gained!

AC supply is nominally 240V.

SO, I have a DAC90A heater chain of 117V AC @ 100mA.

It has the big dropper resistor in series with it of 2 x 150 + 950 ohms and then the lamp and shunt resistor that have a nominal value of 30 ohms so I make that a total 1280 ohms?
Take out the 950 ohms, fit the fusible resistor and put a short in place of the where the capacitor would be in place of the 950 ohms.

What value of fusible resistor would be best for this situation?
Old 4th Feb 2018, 5:00 pm   #44
julie_m
Dekatron

The fusible resistor will be passing 0.1A, so it will have a power dissipation of 0.1 * 0.1 * R = R / 100 Watts. This wants to be as close as possible to its power rating, so the resistor is living life on the edge; so if using an NFR25H, which is rated 0.5W, try 47Ω.

But that's really only part of the story: you need also to consider the resistor's pulse characteristics, which can be found in its datasheet. In the worst case, peak mains is going to appear across the whole series chain at switch-on, when the capacitor is discharged and therefore appears as a dead short-circuit in series with the fusible resistor and the cold filaments. You may need to use multiple resistors in series, so as the pulse energy is distributed among them.
Old 4th Feb 2018, 5:13 pm   #45
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Quote:
But that's really only part of the story: you need also to consider the resistor's pulse characteristics, which can be found in its datasheet. In the worst case, peak mains is going to appear across the whole series chain at switch-on, when the capacitor is discharged and therefore appears as a dead short-circuit in series with the fusible resistor and the cold filaments. You may need to use multiple resistors in series, so as the pulse energy is distributed among them.
Or do it classically and use a Brimistor [or modern equivalent] for inrush protection?

Must admit, I always liked those 'safety' ceramic power-resistors you often found in valve TV-sets that had a spring-loaded metal strip along the side, held closed with low-melting-point solder. If power dissipation exceeds design limits, solder melts, *ping* and the contacts open.

There was another design I came across once: a wirewound resistor on a cylindrical ceramic former. One of the leads passed the length of the former, to the top where there was a compressed conical coil-spring held to the central wire with LMP solder. Whole thing mounted on-end on the PCB, spring uppermost. The only downside of this was that when it 'fused' the spring flew off and invariably lodged itself in some obscure place so you couldn't find it - risking a new and unexpected short-circuit when you fixed the fault/replaced the resistor.
Old 4th Feb 2018, 5:30 pm   #46
trickie_dickie
Hexode

http://https://www.alibaba.com/produ...924120515.html Its a Motor Run Capacitor. Not X or Y rated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.5mF450vac.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	156715  
Old 4th Feb 2018, 6:58 pm   #47
julie_m
Dekatron

No capacitor bigger than about 10nF can be rated for Class Y working, because the earth leakage would be too great. And a motor run capacitor is intended to be connected in series with an inductive load, so doesn't need to withstand transients on the mains directly -- it's not used in Class X.
Old 4th Feb 2018, 11:00 pm   #48
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Clicking the link in Trickie Dickie's post (46) only produces an error message 'sorry we couldn't find 'https'!!'
Old 5th Feb 2018, 12:48 am   #49
John G8MWF
Hexode

Ok I will give this a try when I have the parts together which may take a while.

I am starting to find this a bit confusing - so WHAT is a motor run capacitor?
And do I want to design such a precision protection circuit for a valve radio?
Old 5th Feb 2018, 7:57 am   #50
radiotechnician
Pentode

Common electric motors use two types of capacitors.

Starting capacitors furnish torque current when the motor is started from a standstill , The capacitors are rated for very short duty.

Run capacitors furnish a current on a continuous basis after the motor has reached operating speed. This current greatly improves the power factor.

Ceiling fans have capacitors for each speed. Capacitors used outside of their common use need much study.
Old 5th Feb 2018, 11:23 am   #51
Herald1360
Dekatron

Quote:
Common electric motors use two types of capacitors.

Starting capacitors furnish torque current when the motor is started from a standstill , The capacitors are rated for very short duty.

Run capacitors furnish a current on a continuous basis after the motor has reached operating speed. This current greatly improves the power factor.
Run capacitors are not the same as power factor correction capacitors. They effectively act as continuously rated start capacitors in that either is used with a single phase induction motor to energise a second stator winding out of phase with the main run winding to create a rotating field when the rotor is stalled so that the rotor will actually start to turn rather than just sit there vibrating. If anything they will likely make power factor worse, but they will smooth out somewhat torque variations in the rotor output.

A power factor correction capacitor would be connected across the motor external connections to take enough capacitive current to balance out the inductive component of the motor running current. This reduces the actual line current drawn by the motor to the minimum consistent with load on and losses in the motor.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 6th Feb 2018, 4:20 am   #52
radiotechnician
Pentode

The query I was replying to, 'what is a motor run capacitor', led me to answer as an electrician would.

Two value capacitor motors are part of work, and we would carry capacitors to the job.

C.G Vienott's , Sub fractional and Fractional Horsepower Electric Motors, is at hand here and has been since 1974, so finding the type of motor that was in my mind was simple.

I hope this helps somewhat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Two value capacitor motor.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	156826  
Old 6th Feb 2018, 1:22 pm   #53
GMB
Dekatron

I think there have been some misleading comments so here are a few points I have gleaned from manufacturers that I hope might clarify things a bit:

Metalised film capacitors generally self heal whether they are X or Y or motor capacitors or anything else. X is just a very particular rating and there is more than one kind. If you are paranoid then X1 capacitors are better than the common X2 type as X1 are rated for 3-phase industrial use.

Y class capacitors are in effect two X class in series, and because of their application they are limited to small capacitance values.

Modern motor run capacitors are typically more fire-proof than X class and also have the extra feature than they usually live in a sealed metal can used to generate pressure if they fail - this pressure distorts the case and makes them go open circuit - eventually.

Old motor capacitors will be electrolytic with all the problems that can bring!

Manufacturers suggest that failure mode of most capacitors depends on age. They are generally expected to fail short circuit when new (due to manufacturing defects) and open circuit when old (unless made by RIFA of course, when they catch fire).

A capacitor in series with something resistive is effectively protected from fast transients and so is much less likely to need to self heal. This is because of the transients being fast, so high frequency, so most of the voltage appears across the series resistor. This is good news for capacitor droppers and suggests that this is not such an onerous application.

Always make sure a dropper capacitor is rated for a/c use. This is not the same as the DC rating since it is more about thermal effects. The X class is a package of ratings so the suggestion that they are not appropriate for droppers does not look right to me.
Old 6th Feb 2018, 3:17 pm   #54
Sideband
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB View Post
A capacitor in series with something resistive is effectively protected from fast transients and so is much less likely to need to self heal. This is because of the transients being fast, so high frequency, so most of the voltage appears across the series resistor. This is good news for capacitor droppers and suggests that this is not such an onerous application.
That is exactly what I thought which is why I never worried about using X caps as droppers.