UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Jul 2017, 11:48 am   #1
valveaudio
Hexode

Default NuTube miniature double triode

Looks like a device which will be used to sell "valve sound"

http://www.nutube.us

Trevor
Old 28th Jul 2017, 12:27 pm   #2
Duke_Nukem
Octode

Default Re: NuTube miniture double triode

Cool ! I've so got to get me one of these - not for any audio reasons, simple what an interesting looking device.

TTFN,
Jon
Old 28th Jul 2017, 7:51 pm   #3
G8HQP Dave
Rest in Peace

I seem to recall an earlier thread about that. It is essentially a rework of a display device, to provide a rather puny triode for use in an effects box masquerading as an audio preamp.
Old 28th Jul 2017, 9:08 pm   #4

I remember the earlier thread, you could do the same with a multiplexed VFD and have a few common cathode triodes. Some with two anodes some with two grids depending on how you wire it up. The anodes would glow as well!

Old 28th Jul 2017, 9:11 pm   #5

Upon reading some of the 'literature' about the 'tube' this popped up...

Quote:
The real triode structure produces a warm, unique vacuum tube sound, delivering excellent linearity.
I'll say no more.

Old 28th Jul 2017, 9:44 pm   #6
Radio Wrangler

Oooh and it ticks the directly heated box as well!

Some people could get a little overheated about it. However, it needs to have a plug-in ZIF socket so they can spend hours comparing the acoustic signatures of different date codes.

I wonder what happened to those field emission devices which emitted electrons from a 2-dimensional array of cold spiky points?

David
Old 29th Jul 2017, 10:52 am   #7
G8HQP Dave
Rest in Peace

It is a good example of how capitalism doesn't just force the market to meet buyers' needs, but also persuades buyers to meet the producers' needs.
Old 29th Jul 2017, 8:19 pm   #8
turretslug
Dekatron

Yep- there must be a fair amount of VFD manufacturing plant that isn't quite as busy as it used to be and this looks like a handy means of extending and maximising return on investment.

Every few years, a "miniature cold-cathode device" story pops up, and then things go quiet again. Either it's a non-starter (balance of probability?), or it's very significant indeed and gets sat on (in the way that the Russians noticed that nuclear research articles disappeared from American scientific journals post-1942....)

Last edited by turretslug; 29th Jul 2017 at 8:25 pm.
Old 29th Jul 2017, 9:31 pm   #9

It is obvious that field effect and transistor electrons are cold, ones emitted by a hot cathode are much better.

Old 29th Jul 2017, 10:57 pm   #10
ms660
Dekatron

The Vox MV50 series uses them, here's a demo with the Vox MV50-AC which has the Nutube in it...Luv it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DY5AlUj0i2c

Anyone fancy building a regen receiver with one?

Lawrence.
Old 30th Jul 2017, 6:26 am   #11
mole42uk
Nonode

I rather liked the bit about the device being microphonic, so you should attach a piece of lead to it to damp out problems.

Index:
recursive loop: see recursive loop
Old 30th Jul 2017, 7:02 pm   #12
ricard
Octode

Default Re: NuTube miniature double triode

I agree with Duke_Nukem above that it looks really cool as esoteric, it doesn't look like a VFD, really, and not like anything else either.

But, honestly, is this not a bit of a gimmick? Sure it certainly provides some sort of 'vacuum tube sound' but I would think it has a sound of its own rather than accurately reproducing that good ole overdriven valve amp sound.
Old 30th Jul 2017, 7:19 pm   #13
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricard View Post
Sure it certainly provides some sort of 'vacuum tube sound' but I would think it has a sound of its own rather than accurately reproducing that good ole overdriven valve amp sound.
I wonder what frequencies these go up to - could I use both halves of one of these as a push-pull RF amp? What sort of output would it produce in Class-C?? Would it need neutralising??

[IMHO if an amplifier has a detectable "sound" then it's in need of major rework to improve its linearity!]
Old 30th Jul 2017, 7:28 pm   #14

Quote:
But, honestly, is this not a bit of a gimmick?
Yes.

Old 30th Jul 2017, 7:36 pm   #15
ColinTheAmpMan1
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricard View Post
But, honestly, is this not a bit of a gimmick? Sure it certainly provides some sort of 'vacuum tube sound' but I would think it has a sound of its own rather than accurately reproducing that good ole overdriven valve amp sound.
I agree that it is probably a gimmick, but I don't think the audiophools would appreciate "overdriven valve amp sound". This is the stamping-ground of guitar-players (like me). I don't mind going on record as saying that an overdriven pre-amp valve sound is that much like an overdriven output-valve sound. Of course, it depends on the circumstances - if you are considering a little 2-Watt amplifier using both halves of an ECCxx valve in class A, then I am clearly wrong, but a couple of EL34s in push-pull class AB is a different proposition. For one thing, you will never be able to get as much feedback from the 2-Watt amp as from two EL34s.

Personally, I don't think the current US-owned Vox products hold a candle to the original UK-made Jennings products, but then I am British and an owner of an AC30 - so I'm biased.

Colin.
Old 18th Dec 2017, 2:01 pm   #16
Studio263
Octode

Default VFD based triodes - has anyone tried them

Apologies if these have been mentioned before, but this look interesting (if a bit expensive):

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/doubl...alves/1449016/

Reading between the lines, "gives just as much distortion as a conventional valve amplifier". Must be good then. Glows just like the real thing (but in green). As anyone knocked up a circuit to see if they work?
Old 18th Dec 2017, 2:57 pm   #17
factory
Octode

Default Re: VFD based triodes - has anyone tried them

The emails I get from RS have links to a Designspark project using this VFD triode, they are only building a guitar pedal with it though;

Links to the project so far;
Part 1 https://www.rs-online.com/designspar...-1-tube-basics
Part 2 https://www.rs-online.com/designspar...rt-2-prototype
Part 3 https://www.rs-online.com/designspar...&bid=539491908

David

Last edited by factory; 18th Dec 2017 at 3:06 pm.
Old 18th Dec 2017, 4:40 pm   #18
G8HQP Dave
Rest in Peace

Default Re: VFD based triodes - has anyone tried them

There was a thread about these a few months ago. They are essentially a 'toy' item, to keep the VFD productions lines going. Rumoured to be microphonic too.
Old 18th Dec 2017, 8:48 pm   #19
AC/HL
Dekatron

Threads merged.
Old 18th Dec 2017, 9:51 pm   #20
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Gents, I think I'll market a board with one or 2 EM81/82 valves on it. That should tick all the boxes.

Ed
Closed Thread