UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Aug 2015, 5:25 pm   #1
ESTENOLOTIEN
Retired Dormant Member

Default Genesys 2014 with BFR540

Hello, my name is Alberto from Peru, i would like to build a RF Pre Amplifier for wideband using BJT BFR540, i'm new in Genesys and i need if you can help me with it, I was Reading one post from Jeremy G0HZU and I would like to know if he or you can help me with this Genesys template to edit it and change it.

Here is the Thread.
https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ghlight=bfr540
Re: Marconi 2022C - Stopped working below 62.5 MHz

Quote:
Originally Posted by G0HZU_JMR View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan_O View Post
I replaced the IC2 OM345 with 1nF and it works!!! Thank you very much!
That's good However, I do think you have to fit an amp here at some point because the lack of buffering might cause subtle issues with spurious responses. That buffer provides a very useful degree of reverse isolation for one thing.

To show you the advantage of the better transistor (eg the BFR540 suggested by David) I ran the simulation in the later version of Genesys because it has this BFR540 model in the library.

You can see that the performance at 160MHz is about the same but you can see how much better the BFR540 is at maintaining a good input match and it should perform better at higher frequencies.

http://media2.turbosport.co.uk/2013/...OM345_160c.gif
Best regards to all people here, sorry about my English.
Alberto
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	post.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	111597  
Old 11th Aug 2015, 12:00 am   #2
G0HZU_JMR
Dekatron

Default Re: Genesys 2014 with BFR540

Hi Alberto

I've been using Eagleware/Genesys in its various forms since 1990 so I'm quite experienced with it. However, I'm not sure this is the right forum to ask this type of question.

There is a Genesys help forum on the Keysight/Agilent website although it is not very busy or helpful in my experience. But worth a try

Also try the RF subforum on the EDAboard.com forums because there are quite a few Genesys users there.

There should also be a few RF amplifier examples under the Genesys help tab with some useful templates.

I'll help you on here if it is permitted but it isn't really a vintage radio or test equipment kind of question

Maybe the mods could let this thread survive until you acknowledge my advice above and then remove it?

Also, I did produce a much more complicated and better OM345 simulation a while back that gave very similar performance as the original. The linearity, power consumption, S11 S21 S12 and S22 were very similar to the datasheet plots. This was a full EM simulation of the PCB including tracks and pads and included the required trace inductances and capacitances to mimic the original OM345.

I did consider posting up the results etc but I think most people seem to use alternatives and a few are now attempting to repair the OM345 when it fails.

Last edited by G0HZU_JMR; 11th Aug 2015 at 12:10 am.
Old 11th Aug 2015, 3:47 am   #3
ESTENOLOTIEN
Retired Dormant Member

Thank you very much for your fast replay,

I understand that this is not exactly the topic for my help, but I wanted someone to work in genesys with bfr540 and only I have found you , and even more and has made ​​an example and has the necessary knowledge. Just ask the help to see if you can send the project to open it directly in genesys and to start working on it and learn. Thank you very much again , your help will be welcome.

Regards, Alberto.

Hello, i open account in edaboard very nice fórum, lets see if anybody there can help me, i open a new post and im waiting moderator put it online.

I found a circuit and I am publishing to see if you find it interesting and could help me, if you are interested in this project and need some transistors BFR 540 could send it because I have enough .
Thank you.
Alberto
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bfr540.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	111624  
Old 12th Aug 2015, 1:35 am   #4
G0HZU_JMR
Dekatron

Your best bet is to load the SeGe BFP620 example template in the Genesys help section.

You can find it by clicking the HELP tab then OPEN EXAMPLE then go to AMPLIFIERS and select the SiGe BFP620 AMP.wsx example file.

See the image below showing where it is.

This is a very comprehensive template and the amplifier schematic is similar to yours which helps. Note that I've used Genesys 2012 in the images below.

Note also that at first glance your own circuit doesn't look like it will be unconditionally stable. But I'm just guessing based on the fact you have a bypassed emitter resistor. Normally this means the stability is compromised.

Hope this helps
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	sige_bfp620_path.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	111650   Click image for larger version

Name:	sige_bfp620.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	111651  
Old 12th Aug 2015, 6:15 pm   #5
ESTENOLOTIEN
Retired Dormant Member

Hello, thanks for your replay, but I can't see how to change the transistor type, I cant find it in the library or I dont really know if is the correct way to do it.
Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Sin título-4.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	111672  
Old 12th Aug 2015, 7:35 pm   #6
Station X

I think it would be best if this conversation was continued in emails or by Private Message (PM).

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Closed Thread