UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Dec 2017, 3:13 pm   #21
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

Default Re: Floating supply question.

Thanks Argus for the info. Pretty sure (100%) the tfmr was designed for 50hz as I wound it myself, hence why I have some of the problem's. I bought a tfmr off ebay which was wound for a big transistor amplifier, took off the secondaries leaving the primary and wound on new secs. I got most of it right.

After some thought and measuring of it's twin, I followed Trevor's suggestion of converting it to 6.3v, which is working ok. That left me with another problem, the PSU also has to power a 12v fan. No worries, I get nearly 12v pre the LM317.

I tested the windings output capacity by loading it with decreasing value's of resistors and found it can supply 1.5A, at a push. So it will be able to supply three ECC** triodes, EG 1 ECC82 and 1/2 a ECC83 = 450mA + the fan at 150mA.

The 18.9v winding falling to 9v with the 12v PSU as a load is a puzzle, it can power 3 EL34 heaters and only falls a few 10's of mV to 18.4v. I can live with that, each EL34 is short by 170mV, not too drastic.

A.
Old 26th Dec 2017, 12:46 pm   #22
Al (astral highway)
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diabolical Artificer View Post
That left me with another problem, the PSU also has to power a 12v fan.
Andy, perhaps cull an SMPS for the fan from a junk PC power supply or walwart. It can be completely isolated from your other supplies, so noise isn't an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diabolical Artificer View Post
. I can live with that, each EL34 is short by 170mV, not too drastic.
...but also not ideal. Hence my suggestion to not steal power for the heaters for ancillary applications.
Old 27th Dec 2017, 9:11 am   #23
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

I've been raiding my wall wart SMPSU stash Al and have found a few likely candidates.

A.
Old 27th Dec 2017, 10:07 am   #24
Al (astral highway)
Dekatron

That’s good news , Andy! You will then have comfortably more power for your heaters...