UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd May 2022, 7:32 pm   #21
Android
Triode

Default Re: Speaker Options

I'm glad that I asked about the speaker cable. Great advice form forum members, as always
Old 3rd May 2022, 8:16 pm   #22
paulsherwin

QED also make 42 strand cable, which was their first dedicated speaker cable in the 70s. It's cheaper than 79 strand and thinner so easier to work with. I doubt it'll sound any different to 79 strand, at least unless you're using very high end equipment indeed.
Old 27th May 2022, 3:28 pm   #23
Android
Triode

UPDATE:

I listened to the system using the very short speaker cables that came with them when I first bought it. They made the speakers about 2.5 feet apart and I just placed them on the floor.

I have now set up the system properly on speaker stands with the speakers a few feet apart, as usual.

What a difference! It sounds very good to my ears and to everyone else in the house. Putting it out properly has made a huge improvement.

I wasn't really looking but an advert for a turntable appeared on my Facebook page. It looked good and it seemed to fit the advice PaulSherwin gave me here a few years ago about buying a turntable. So, my final system is:
  • Teac A-H500 amplifier
  • Teac PD-H500 CD player
  • Teac T-H500 FM tuner
  • Celestion 3 loudspeakers
Cost £200
  • Technics SL-Q303 turntable
Cost £60
  • Speaker Cable (bog-standard, no life-changing qualities)
Cost £8.99

Total Cost £268.99

It looks good enough to have in our recently refurbished lounge and sounds great. I believe that I would have to pay a small fortune to get anything as good if buying new.

I tested out the MA speakers against the Celestions again on the stands but I'm sticking with the latter. I'll keep an eye out for a bargain on the speaker front but they will have to be pretty good to beat the Celestions plus they will have to look good enough, and be in black, to go in the lounge. I've no idea what to look for but there is no rush at all and I'll see what comes up.

My sincere thanks to everyone on the forum. I have no idea about audio equipment so it was very helpful to have your views about what to buy. I am indebted
Old 27th May 2022, 4:25 pm   #24
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Well done! That's about the price of a mid-range Sonos Smart Speaker. And I know what I would prefer......
Old 27th May 2022, 4:33 pm   #25
Whaam68
Hexode

That’s great enjoy listening to it! Sounds like a very sensible system and a bargain!
Old 27th May 2022, 6:07 pm   #26
deliverance
Heptode

Looks Good sounds Good just the job.
Old 27th May 2022, 6:09 pm   #27
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

A good result, at a good price! Getting the speaker spacing [and the listener location] 'right' for a particular room is a bit of a black-art, [a.k.a. there is a lot of nonsense talked about it].

When it comes down to it, all that really matters is that it sounds good _to you_ since you are the one who will be listening to it!
Old 27th May 2022, 6:14 pm   #28
Radio Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Huggins View Post
Well done! That's about the price of a mid-range Sonos Smart Speaker. And I know what I would prefer......
Also, you won't get a software change from the manufacturer coming along to 'brick' your speakers. Just look it up... they really did this. Offered users a small discount on buying a new speaker!

David
Old 30th May 2022, 11:43 pm   #29
bikerhifinut
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Huggins View Post
Also, you won't get a software change from the manufacturer coming along to 'brick' your speakers. Just look it up... they really did this. Offered users a small discount on buying a new speaker!

David
And greatly annoyed no1 nephew who found out their fancy sonos multiroom system was overnight obsolete.
He now listens to my old Audiolab 8000A and Usher S520 speakers via either a really nice old Rega Planar3 (One of the early ones with first RB300) or the Playstation as a digital source, yes really and it makes a pretty good CD player too.

Andy.
Old 31st May 2022, 10:09 pm   #30
majex45
Hexode

That looks like a good value for money system which should give you years of enjoyment. You could spend a fortune on equipment and upgrades but may I suggest you spend most of it on music? LPs or CDs (or tapes?) are what you listen to, not the hi-fi. Or at least, that's the theory.
On the player now: The Who, Endlesswire.
Enjoy!
Old 1st Jun 2022, 1:38 am   #31
nickdoofah
Banned

I use 42 strand for my Dolby digital receivers 2 rear channel speakers. I saw little point running 79 strand around the room & 42 strand does an excellent job. Most of the time the receiver is on plain 2 channel stereo for its daily job of audio on the SD channels AND the Panasonic DWB-850 BluRay and more to the point its media player which is one of the best modern audio players I have heard! It delivers excellent audio to the Wharfedale Xarus 5000 floorstanders making me very happy when I am listening especially at higher volumes!
Closed Thread