UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 14th Oct 2021, 11:15 am   #1
Wendymott
Octode

Default Farnell FG1

Hi peeps...I bought a Farnell FG1 about a year ago, either from here, or Ebay.."canna remember" but not important. As I have other Function generators, it was tested initially, cleaned and put on the shelf. However I decided that it should have an "Airing", and the Sinewave linearity went seriously wrong after about 20 mins. It seemed as though the many plugged modules contacts may be "iffy" as it is at least 40 years old. They were duly cleaned and the sinewave seemed ok.
I made a 10 pin Plug / socket extension lead to aid access to the modules, which resides in the FG1 .
Then two days ago I really needed it....... again the sinewave went distorted then "0".... after about 10 mins. The +/- power rails were ok, and the clue was the Triangle and Square wave outputs were ok.
The module 6 is the triangle to sine converter. VT7 PNP 2N2904 was VERY Hot, thus was removed and measured. It was inconclusive, so I replaced with a 2N4403. Again tested .. ok for 5 mins then no output.. VT5 BC182 NPN was sprayed with freezer and output restored. Thus it was replaced with a 2N4401.
Result. Its a shame Farnell stopped making test equipment, a friend of mine worked at Wetherby in the 70's in the SMP department. Obviously the "bean counters" decided it was not a great direction.

Regards
Wendy G8BZY
Closed Thread