UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 9th May 2022, 9:08 am   #1
ZXClaire
Diode

Default Roberts R727 Questions

Hello!

I've recently acquired a lovely Roberts R727 in red (£20 result in my book). It works a treat but could do with a little love. So I hope you don't mind but I have some questions:

1. The leather/pvc fabric - it's in good shape but could do with something to moisturise it so it doesn't crack or split. What's safe to use?

2. The metal dial fascia looks printed on, I'm guessing nothing stronger than soapy water to clean? Then maybe a coat of clear enamel to protect it?

3. Slight crackle on volume knob - assume contact cleaner should deal with this?

4. Antenna is floppy, it looks like the crimped section has slackened probably due to the aggressive click mechanism. Where can I get a replacement antenna?

5. Although there is no mains hum, I'm conscious that the electrolyte capacitors are of a err vintage and would rather avoid leaking and damage. Sensible to replace these with 105°C Vishay/Panasonic/Nichicon capacitors?

Anything else that I need to be aware of?

Sorry if I've rather flooded the place with questions.

Thanks

Claire
Old 9th May 2022, 1:46 pm   #2
Mr 1936
Heptode

Default Re: Roberts R727 Questions

Hi

To treat PVC you could use Renovo Vinyl Soft Top cleaner, though I suspect a bottle would last a lifetime unless you can scounge some from a sports car owner.

Crackly pot should respond to a touch of switch cleaner, plus working back and forth

Electrolytic replacement would be sensible
Old 21st May 2022, 3:32 pm   #3
ZXClaire
Diode

Smile Re: Roberts R727 Questions

Afternoon!

The radio has now gone from manky and crackly to clean and working a treat.

Contact cleaner sorted the volume/tone controls.
New set of electrolytic capacitors mainly as a preventative. Panasonic 105° rated BTW.

I couldn't find the same antenna, but did find one that's about 2cm short. So a grommet to secure the top and a small foam block to secure the base with some hot glue has done the job.

Rexine cleaned up really well with AutoGlym car dash/PVC cleaner. The colour really pops. Danish wood oil on the ends has smartened them up. I need to get some acrylic chrome paint to touch up the badge.

It's not full factory spec like new, but it is mine and I'm really happy.

Now to look at the Tivoli Model One which may be a bit modern for here.

Claire
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220521_142225284.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	257574  
Old 27th May 2022, 10:27 pm   #4
Panda23
Pentode

Hi Claire I have a few Roberts Radios, yours looks great and you should be really proud of the results
All the best Amanda
Old 27th May 2022, 11:37 pm   #5
Andrewausfa
Octode

For the badge a Molotow Liquid Chrome Pump Marker Pen - 1mm Nib 703.101 would be the thing to use. Best small scale chrome touch up there is.

Andrew
Old 28th May 2022, 6:40 am   #6
AD360 Rob
Hexode

Another vote for the Molotow chrome pens here, great for Roberts scroll badges (as fitted to earlier sets)
Old 28th May 2022, 7:22 am   #7
ajgriff
Nonode

Haven't come accross Molotow pens before and will give one a try. What are they like in terms of shelf life once opened?

Alan
Old 28th May 2022, 11:02 pm   #8
Andrewausfa
Octode

I've had mine a couple of years, no signs of drying out at all. Top tip with them is not to go over the same bit twice until the first layer is thoroughly dried.

Andrew
Old 29th May 2022, 12:39 am   #9
majoconz
Heptode

I haven't come across a Roberts radio that doesn't respond beautifully to a bit of TLC and yours is no exception - nicely done, Claire. I shall have to stop doing them up - friends and relatives like them for birthday and Christmas presents - I have only one left now! Now to find a Hacker or a Braun T1000CD......
Old 29th May 2022, 6:10 pm   #10
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Claire, a great job on that set, yours to enjoy for many years to come.

However, this will probably be only the start, so I hope you have plenty of space for all the others you will now collect

Ed
Old 29th May 2022, 7:45 pm   #11
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

A nice restoration; at least it doesn't seem to have suffered from "Decorator's Friend Syndrome" - the spatter of white/magnolia emulsion-paint which seems to have afflicted at least half the Roberts radios I've reworked.

Good that you pre-emptively replaced the big electrolytics in the PSU; I've dealt with a couple of Roberts 'MB' mains-battery-radios where the electrolytics [generally 1970s types with a grey plastic sleeve] have gone BANG! and filled the case with fluffy silverized paper-foil.

Remember that the volume/on/off switch on these radios only works on the DC side of the PSU: if you leave it plugged-in the mains-to-DC side remains powered-up, so it can go BANG! even when seemingly turned-off.
Old 29th May 2022, 8:31 pm   #12
Brettski
Tetrode

I’ve been using Vegiwash to clean the rexine on these Roberts and it seems to work very well. Not sure how soft you will be able to make it, but let us know how you get on