UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 24th May 2022, 1:52 pm   #1
lightning
Heptode

Default Sharp VZ-3000

ls anyone familiar with the Sharp Vertical Play boom box, l have repaired these many years ago when it was mostly things like drive belts.

I've a customer called me and he has one that plays the record fine on side A but the sound is "muffled" on side B
Side B uses a separate arm and stylus.

He's changed the stylus with no improvement. Before l take this in, l need to figure out if there's any realistic chance of me being able to repair it.

Alternatively, is there someone on here who would take it on? l could pass on your number to the guy.

l remember these being a bit of a beast to take apart and work on.
Old 24th May 2022, 6:00 pm   #2
G6ONEDave
Octode

Default Re: Sharp VZ-3000

Might be worth checking that the B side stylus is correctly located into it's cartridge. You never know you might get lucky.

Dave
Old 25th May 2022, 3:30 pm   #3
lightning
Heptode

Thank you for the suggestion.

He says he's swapped the stylus and it made no difference.
Old 27th May 2022, 10:16 am   #4
cjwhoishe
Triode

The problem is most likely to be the relay which switches between the 2 cartridges. I think the A side uses the NC contacts of the relay and the B side uses the NO contacts. The NO contacts are probably contaminated.
If it is like the RP114 relay then it is a strange physical pinout and not readily available, I fitted a little adapter board and a more easily available relay on my RP114.
Closed Thread