UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 25th May 2022, 9:04 am   #21
turretslug
Dekatron

Default Re: Soldering query.

Pre-/simultaneous heating with a hot air gun or even suitably fierce hair-dryer can help with the heat-robbery aspect of massy metal subjects, too- obviously care is needed here.
Old 25th May 2022, 10:36 am   #22
emeritus
Dekatron

The workshop training course I went on at Plessey included a lecture on soldering. It was explained that solder is a sort of solid solution of metals, and that, once applied to a different base metal, progressive diffusion in both directions takes place slowly over time between the metals of the solder and the base metal. The presence of base metal in the solder raises the melting point, which is why old solder joints can be difficult to melt. Applying fresh solder can help by diluting the old solder, which could then be removed and replaced by fresh solder if subsequent soldering is envisaged. It's a technique I have sometines had to use to remove component leads from tag strips and valve holders of old radios.

Last edited by emeritus; 25th May 2022 at 10:42 am. Reason: typos
Old 25th May 2022, 10:42 am   #23
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

For pre-heating chassis I use one of the little Cook's Blowlamps as used to caramelise the sugar-coating on a Creme Brulee. It also gets used to 'do' heatshrink on outdoor antenna coaxes.

I think mine came from Lakeland.co.uk some years ago; it's seen more use outside the kitchen than in!
Old 25th May 2022, 10:58 am   #24
Boulevardier
Octode

I've never used one of those big Weller-type heat guns with the "metal-puzzle" shaped bits -
https://www.drapertools.com/product/...-gun-kit-100w/

Does that shape get in the way/get tangled up in tight spaces? Where is the heat output concentrated? Are they as effective in heat transfer as my old 60W Solon with its half-inch tip?

Mike
Old 25th May 2022, 11:40 am   #25
ms660
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boulevardier View Post
Where is the heat output concentrated?
At the tip, there's an article and picture here:

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...former&f=false

Had one these amongst other soldering irons when I worked as a Radio & TV service tech, fast heat up time.

Lawrence.
Old 25th May 2022, 12:39 pm   #26
Boulevardier
Octode

Thanks for that link Lawrence - very informative!
Mike
Old 25th May 2022, 1:46 pm   #27
murphyv310
Dekatron

Hi.
I still use my old Henley Solon chassis bolt for these jobs. I've also got my dads old copper lump that you put in the fire or gas ring, it's by far the best, I've done seam soldering of chassis and it's very neat.
Old 25th May 2022, 5:51 pm   #28
longneck90
Hexode

Hello to all and thanks for all the input. I used to use flux soldering copper pipes, but I have never used it on radio chassis's. I do have a gas powered heat gun but it is too dangerous to use near a radio chassis. Anyway; I have ordered a 750 W soldering iron/solder pump, which wil be here tomorrow. I can't remember if the name is Daeso. Something like that. If it works, the price is reasnable. £56.99 new. All the best, and thanks again. John.
Old 25th May 2022, 7:52 pm   #29
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

Plumber's flux is more acidic than electronics flux, as far as I'm aware. I don't believe the twain should meet. I've got some slightly orange-scented 'flux remover' which works well with the tin of 'pasta do lutowania' I got from ESR. Dabbing some of the latter on with a cocktail stick works wonders for solder wick or flowing onto PCBs, then the excess can be wiped off with the flux remover.
Old 25th May 2022, 8:21 pm   #30
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by longneck90 View Post
... I have ordered a 750 W soldering iron/solder pump, which wil be here tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by longneck90 View Post
Hello again. The soldering iron? I ordered is ; Katsu 852D, 2 in 1. All the best. John.
You certainly get a lot for your money with those Chinese clone solder stations, I use a similar setup here, but they are two separate units viz 936D and 858D

But please note the other "half" of these is a hot air gun primarily for SMD work, there is no desoldering pump.
Old 25th May 2022, 9:41 pm   #31
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

The 100W Antex which I have is less than £20 at Rapid and CPC.

B
Old 26th May 2022, 4:50 am   #32
majoconz
Heptode

I bought a 125watt Henley Solon in a junk shop for NZ$5 - with the proviso that If it didn't work I could take it back for a refund. Needless to say it worked a treat. 125watts doesn't sound that much but I believe that it's mass that counts more than temperature. If that doesn't work I have a 1" square block of copper filed to a point with a long handle on it that I can put on the gas ring.....
Old 26th May 2022, 7:50 am   #33
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bulgaria View Post
Plumber's flux is more acidic than electronics flux, as far as I'm aware. I don't believe the twain should meet. I've got some slightly orange-scented 'flux remover' which works well with the tin of 'pasta do lutowania' I got from ESR. Dabbing some of the latter on with a cocktail stick works wonders for solder wick or flowing onto PCBs, then the excess can be wiped off with the flux remover.
Yes, the brown plumber's flux is highly acidic. But for some things it is the only show in town. As an example I've repaired wirewound variable resistors that are open circuit with the stuff - yes, you can solder nichrome wire with it. I've also used it to repair a valve screening can (for an AVO electronic test meter) with a wire loop by desoldering the loop with the 120W Weller, and then soldering it onto a bright steel screening can using it.

Needs to be scrupulously cleaned off, of course.

Craig
Old 26th May 2022, 8:19 am   #34
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

I have a couple of Henley Solon 65w irons and this massive one on the left. They are ancient and probably just pre war. There is enough reserve of heat to solder the large solder tags to a thick steel chassis. They don't get used a lot but invaluable when needed.
These days a Butane iron would be the way to go. John.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Irons.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	257788  
Old 26th May 2022, 8:46 am   #35
Goldie99
Heptode

'Mine's bigger than yours'.... ?

Just remembered these - two old copper (?) soldering irons, not used for at least 25 years, probably much longer, and definitely in need of a good clean. For scale - the larger 'tip' is almost 4" long. If one or other of them is of any use to anyone, please just drop me a pm - both are available foc (+P&P).

Click image for larger version

Name:	Soldering 'Irons'.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	257791

Alan
Old 26th May 2022, 7:48 pm   #36
turretslug
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoconz View Post
but I believe that it's mass that counts more than temperature.
Thermal reserve definitely assists in making a quick, effective joint- basic Antex mains irons get looked down on by many but I think that the bit/element arrangement with the bit shrouding the element, rather than vice-versa, contributes to their prowess. I find that my old, acquired second-hand for £2, 18W Antex CS18 comes pretty close to an electronic thermostat 70W Weller pencil iron that cost rather more, even with lead-free solder. Similarly, a 25W Antex X25 achieves most of what a 60W Weller W61 does-where the 100W Weller W101 scores is in having a much chunkier bit than the W61.
Closed Thread