UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Jan 2022, 8:59 pm   #1
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Default Eddystone friction drives

Hi Folks, has anyone the details of how to set up these slow motion drives. Mine is on a 770R, but I believe they were used on other sets.
The spindle from the tuning knob is designed to pinch a larhe , thin metal disc that turns the reduction gears. The front panel bush had the bearing section displaced and was easily corrected, but the "pinch " faces do not seem to engage with the disc correctly, even with the tension spring fully tightened.
It has been cleaned and degreased and if it is pushed further into engagement (only very little movement) it will turn, but stops when pressure is released

Thanks, Ed
Old 18th Jan 2022, 11:45 pm   #2
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: Eddystone friction drives

Is the hole in the panel bush slightly eccentric, so that rotating the bush will adjust the engagement of the edge of the shimstock disc into the grip of the sprung cones on the tuning knob shaft.

David
Old 19th Jan 2022, 1:00 pm   #3
PJL
Dekatron

I restored an S750 recently and it does sound like either a worn bush or the bush is still in the wrong position. The shaft should run as close as possible to the disc and have minimal play. If the gearbox is running freely, the spring does not need to be very tight to provide sufficient friction to work properly.
Old 19th Jan 2022, 8:49 pm   #4
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Gents, not much play in the main bearing now the bush is in the correct position.

It does not appear to be an eccentric bush for adjustment, but there is some clearance on the case holes where the bush clamping screws fir through. It is however pushed fully over and is still slipping badly.
Gearbox appears quite free

Ed
Old 19th Jan 2022, 9:49 pm   #5
PJL
Dekatron

How about a picture or two?
Old 19th Jan 2022, 10:20 pm   #6
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

I'll see what I can do, but it is sandwiched between chassis and front panel when in situ

Ed
Old 19th Jan 2022, 10:55 pm   #7
PJL
Dekatron

The Eddystone User Group has some excellent material by Gerry O'Hara including a document about the dial drive. http://eddystoneusergroup.org.uk/Res...%20Gearbox.pdf. There is a good picture of the flywheel drive attachment.
Old 20th Jan 2022, 10:32 am   #8
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi PJL, thanks for that, looks like just what I need

Ed
Closed Thread