UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Dec 2004, 4:21 pm   #1
quantum
Retired Dormant Member

Default Any exciting Xmas projects?

Now that the festive season is upon us, I was wondering if forum members had any interesting radio projects lined up for the Xmas holidays. If my 'workshop' in the attic doesn't get too cold I suspect that I will spend any available time on stripping down one or two old chassis for any usable parts rather than on any repairs or building, but do any members have projects lined up which could inspire the rest of us?
Old 17th Dec 2004, 6:09 pm   #2
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Default Re: Any exciting Xmas projects?

Mine is the ongoing saga of the Ferguson 378 Universal. Chassis has now been beadblasted and is waiting me to source a local plating firm who do not have a rolling nextweek policy.
I am also waiting some fabric covered hookup wire from the US of A, but now have a full set of valves and new bases, thanks to Rod Burman, and all the other odds and sods that were missing, thanks to Jim Beacon.
The tuning gang has had a trip through the dishwasher and the vanes and brass spacers gleam like new!
Also got my eye on a Saba Freiburg on eBay......
Old 17th Dec 2004, 8:17 pm   #3
Sam
Hexode

Mine, of course, is my clock. However, I do still have a few (quite a few!) sets I want to give a go over as well.

Looks like I will have a busy holiday. I'll be looking forward to coming back to Uni so I can relax!

Sam
Old 17th Dec 2004, 9:56 pm   #4
BlowFish
Retired Dormant Member

Got a couple of 30's sets to do up plus some test gear (Write up on here soon- hopefully in the success section ) and just started on the design for a digital 405 standards converter/modulator/test card pattern generator, so will be on the pc with the spice cad program over christmas.

Last edited by Jeremy M0RVB; 28th Dec 2004 at 11:14 pm.
Old 17th Dec 2004, 10:05 pm   #5
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
digital 405 standards converter/modulator/test card pattern generator
Another standards converter! Besides Domino and Aurora which are commercially available I know of at least 3 others. Darius's analogue design, my own unfinished one which will probably never be completed, one by another forum member who I don't think has announced it publicly. And now another one. Are you going to attempt a digital modulator?
Old 17th Dec 2004, 10:53 pm   #6
ianm
Hexode

On the subject of standards converters, here's another one to add to the list. At his comprehensive web site, Andy Beer describes the latest progress with his own design:

http://freespace.virgin.net/andy.valve/stands.htm

http://freespace.virgin.net/andy.valve/index.htm (home page)

Andy's web site is well worth a visit by the way, even if you're not the slightest bit interested in standards converters!

Ian McLaughlin, BVWS member
Old 17th Dec 2004, 11:42 pm   #7
BlowFish
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Are you going to attempt a digital modulator?
The answer to this is yes at the moment its all on the 'drawing board'
Old 17th Dec 2004, 11:46 pm   #8
jim_beacon
Retired Dormant Member

To get back to the original question.......

I have a couple of Tek scopes that I need to repair, a 561, and a 564B(with the direct view analogue storage tube - I didn't get my 549 for Christmas, but did get its little brother ).

Assuming I get them working (I want the 561 to check out the plug-ins for the 564B), then I'll get back to some serious work on the 1pps timebase for Sam.

Jim.
Old 18th Dec 2004, 1:52 am   #9
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

I have put the long ongoing saga of the HMV 1124 to one side to put together a Vellman kit mk116.
Its called Riding Santa and involves just under 200 components including all the LED's. I think I am just over half way there and hopefully should have it finished over the weekend.
Not exciting I know but it's certainly seasonal
Old 18th Dec 2004, 11:00 am   #10
wireless_paul
Hexode

Location: World Heritage Village of Saltaire, Shipley, West Riding of Yorkshire.

Tidy the workshop and radio room (again)!!!!!!!!!!
Paul E
Old 18th Dec 2004, 2:43 pm   #11
mikelect
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireless_paul
Tidy the workshop and radio room (again)!!!!!!!!!!
Paul E
It's supposed to be Exciting Paul unless of course it is like mine and you find all sorts of long lost goodies

Mike

Last edited by Jeremy M0RVB; 28th Dec 2004 at 11:14 pm.
Old 18th Dec 2004, 3:32 pm   #12
wireless_paul
Hexode

Location: World Heritage Village of Saltaire, Shipley, West Riding of Yorkshire.

Mike.
Whats more exciting, tidying up the workshop or spending the time with your mother-in-law??
Paul E
Old 18th Dec 2004, 5:00 pm   #13
SPCh
Rest in Peace

Didn't realise that was the choice. Excuse me while I go and untidy the workshop again.

(I say, I say, I say. My mother-in-law talks through her nose - wore her mouth out years ago !)
Closed Thread