UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 31st Jan 2018, 11:38 am   #21
Cameron
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: First Vintage TV - 1961 Perdio Portarama

Thanks for your replies. I have a Hi-Fi repair man in Nottingham who may have a look to see if the TV will power up, but I will post a help wanted ad too.

I've looked into the Aurora Standards Convertor, they're £212 already in the UK and I believe the variant I need is the SCRF405A. I guess it depends on what's wrong with the TV and how much it needs spending on it to repair it. It's a one off thing for me and I'll probably never get rid of it, so I'm not too concerned about spending some money on it. Though I guess like all things this old, it won't just be fixed and work forever, it'll need ongoing maintenance!
Old 31st Jan 2018, 1:36 pm   #22
mark pirate
Dekatron

I have an identical set. https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=125359
Like yours, it is in excellent physical condition. I decided to power mine up using a current limited bench PSU via the 12v input rather than risk using the set's own PSU.

My set gives a good raster and the audio output is working, but no sign of any signal getting through. Probably due to the AFxxx transistors being short circuit.

At least I know that the CRT, LOPT & FOPT are all good.
I must get round to getting it on the bench soon....

Mark
Old 31st Jan 2018, 3:51 pm   #23
AC/HL
Dekatron

How big is your caravan: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...50#post1012950
Old 31st Jan 2018, 4:31 pm   #24
Sideband
Dekatron

Of course there is another option. Offer the set as it is as a swap for a working one or for an adjustment in price...well something along those lines anyway. You'll still need a standards converter but it may be a better and quicker way of getting a working set.
Old 31st Jan 2018, 10:35 pm   #25
Sideband
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
As you can see, cosmetically the outside case is very good, apart from the warp to the right of the handle as you look at the screen.
I suspect that is due to the set being left in the sun....possibly the parcel shelf of a car or near a caravan window in the sun. There is nothing in that area inside the set that would get that hot.
Old 4th Feb 2018, 6:42 pm   #26
usradcoll1
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideband View Post
Of course there is another option. Offer the set as it is as a swap for a working one or for an adjustment in price...well something along those lines anyway. You'll still need a standards converter but it may be a better and quicker way of getting a working set.
It looks like it's easier to work on than the same year Sony sets. The PC boards look well made.
Old 4th Feb 2018, 10:21 pm   #27
Boom
Retired Dormant Member

There looks to be one of these sets on tonights Human Jungle next to the patients bed.
Old 4th Feb 2018, 11:23 pm   #28
Argus25
No Longer a Member

I have restored a number of early 1960's germanium transistor based TV sets and I could offer some advice. I would not be negative about this era of technology, but there are sometimes a few extra challenges in these sets compared to later transistor sets, or earlier valve sets, but in a way that is part of the fun.

The original horizontal output transistors (must be germanium high frequency high voltage capable) were troublesome and prone to failure. If it is replaced, the better replacement is the RCA 2N3731 (look on us ebay), which has a higher voltage rating than most of the original AUxxx series types and is more reliable in the application. The damper diode must also be a germanium (or the linearity of the left side of the H scan is stretched ). RCA made a companion germanium damper for the 2N3731, I could post the number if you need it.

For the most part the best move for a good restoration is to make a list of every small electrolytic capacitor in the set (excluding the power supply ones initially) and patiently re-cap the set prior to powering it. The old electrolytics are never reliable and cause multiple faults, especially in the vertical output stage where the peak currents are higher than elsewhere in the signal circuits. Typically the coupling and emitter bypass electros go high ESR reducing the peak currents limiting the V scan amplitude. Replace the power supply electros too if they fail ESR testing or have gone low capacity.

Be aware that old style phenolic pcb's have very poor copper foil adhesion to the board, so you need just enough heat from a temperature controlled soldering iron and to be very gentle with good solder wick. You won't need a sucker as there were no plated through holes in this era in these TV's.

If your set uses the AF1xx transistors, for a reliable result they will all have to be replaced, if you want the set reliable that is(tin whiskers). For the replacements I would recommend the AF178 that you can get from Langrex. The AF118 can be replaced by the 2SA358 (germanium high voltage video output transistor).

I have been lucky with most I have restored, in that the Japanese transistors in the signal circuits rarely have any issues.

Sometimes the vertical scan output transistors go resistive compressing the vertical scan at the bottom. a 2N3732 is suitable, but the 2N3731 works for this as well.

Once the electronic faults are eliminated and because the radio frequency AF1xx transistors have been replaced, ideally then the set is aligned with a sweep generator & oscilloscope, which is an easy task for those experienced, but it could be daunting for a beginner. Although it is possible that alignment could be avoided, but you would need to check the sets performance and video bandwidth & sound quality.

All in all, when these early sets are fault free and adjusted correctly, the performance is quite good. Many though did not have DC restorers on the video drive to the CRT, or direct coupling, often the video output from the AF118 (or video opt transistor) was merely capacitively coupled to the CRT's cathode. So on low contrast scenes the background brightness appears a little high, but perhaps part of their charm. But I don't have the circuit of your set so I'm not 100% sure about this.
Old 5th Feb 2018, 12:44 am   #29
AC/HL
Dekatron

Trader sheet.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1652.PDF (838.2 KB, 145 views)
Old 5th Feb 2018, 1:29 am   #30
FERNSEH
Dekatron

The Perdio Portoama is an excellent receiver. On mains operation a proper 11.6volt supply regulator is employed. Compare this with the Pye TT1 in which the internal 10.8volt ni-cad battery serves as the supply regulator. But to be fair the TT1 is a slightly older design, on sale late 1960.

Anyone ever come across the Mark 1 Perdio Portorama?

DFWB.
Old 5th Feb 2018, 1:56 am   #31
Argus25
No Longer a Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/HL View Post
Trader sheet.
The circuitry and layout look well thought out. I think this looks like a lovely early transistor TV and well worth the time and effort to restore it. I have never seen this model anywhere in Australasia. All the small early germanium portables we had in this region were Japanese, Sony, Sanyo etc. Although a decade later AWA made an 11 inch portable that still had many germanium transistors in it. The occasional Philco Safari turned up.
Old 5th Feb 2018, 11:06 am   #32
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

I have just switched this one on after what must be at least 18 years! Other than a bit of frame trouble probably solved with a few electrolytic caps and maybe a couple of skeleton presets it works quite well. An hour in the workshop should sort that out. J.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Perdio..jpg
Views:	244
Size:	16.6 KB
ID:	156751  
Old 5th Feb 2018, 12:19 pm   #33
Argus25
No Longer a Member

What you are seeing on the screen, lack of peak maximum current in the vertical scan coils, is a classic example of what happens to the vertical deflection systems in vintage transistor TV sets, nearly all due to electrolytic capacitor degradation. The increasing ESR of the capacitors in the vertical deflection amplifier, from the trader sheet, C129,C130,C121,C402 yoke coupling cap, all contribute to the problem.

As I noted in my previous post, in the vertical deflection amp the peak currents are higher than in other sub-circuits in the TV. So it becomes a "test case" for the condition of the electrolytics of this age and the scanning raster like an oscillogram of their deteriorated condition. Elsewhere in the other sub-circuits, you can get away with poorer or aged electrolytics without a fault being evident. This is why it is best to re-cap these sets with new electrolyics (preferable high temp low ESR types) in the first instance.

The power supply electros should really be renewed too. And as noted, occasionally this type on linearity defect can occur if the vertical output transistor is failing.
Old 5th Feb 2018, 2:50 pm   #34
Argus25
No Longer a Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatercathodeshort View Post
An hour in the workshop should sort that out. J.
PS: when you are working on the vertical amplifier in the workshop, I would be interested to know if there is a mistake in the Trader sheet, whether it has the emitter and collector connections of TR112 reversed in the diagram, compared to the real set, or not ?
Old 5th Feb 2018, 4:11 pm   #35
ukcol
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argus25 View Post
I would be interested to know if there is a mistake in the Trader sheet, whether it has the emitter and collector connections of TR112 reversed in the diagram, compared to the real set, or not ?
It certainly doesn't look right does it?

This model is covered by the 1963/64 edition of R&TVS but I haven't got a copy. It would be interesting to see if they have it right.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	TR112.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	156794  
Old 5th Feb 2018, 5:11 pm   #36
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

It will be sorted soon. I have a number of vintage projects to complete. It is very easy to put them aside but no so easy to put them back on the bench!

I have the original Perdio manual and I think I know where it is. John.
Old 5th Feb 2018, 10:27 pm   #37
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Later transistor frame timebase circuits such as the BRC 1590 employed a diode instead of the transistor TR112. TR111 the blocking oscillator transistor will be fully conductive at frame flyback, that is, the collector near to ground potential.
Under those conditions PNP transistor TR111 will not be conductive and so the sawtooth forming capacitors C129 and C130 will not be discharged. It's all too evident the emitter and collector connections as shown in the Trader Service Sheet should be reversed.
There doesn't appear to be any NPN transistors in the Mk2 Portorama.
The line output transistor is an AU101, this device can be replaced by the later AU103. In late production BRC 1590 TVs the germanium line output transistor was replaced by an NPN transistor, a BD160.

DFWB.
Old 5th Feb 2018, 10:40 pm   #38
FERNSEH
Dekatron

ukcol wrote: "This model is covered by the 1963/64 edition of R&TVS"

The transistor in question is designated as X112 in the Perdio service manual.
It's described as the frame limiter. Can't find any frame timebase oscilloscope traces in the 1963/64 R&T book. Perhaps the frame flyback pulse present at X112 collector is in fact negative going?
If that's the case, then the circuit makes sense.

DFWB.
Old 5th Feb 2018, 11:38 pm   #39
buggies
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by FERNSEH View Post
Anyone ever come across the Mark 1 Perdio Portorama?
Not since the August 1961 Earls Court Radio Show!
There was a functioning chassis inside a perspex cube so people could see the works but after a while the frame height stated to increase due to the temperature rise so it had to be quickly taken into the booth, dismantled and swapped with its sister chassis...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PerdioPortaramaI.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	156819  
Old 6th Feb 2018, 11:41 am   #40
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

You think you have seen them all! I have never come across a MK1 George.

I have an early dual standard model to the right of this picture and the later model on the left. I have no doubt that the design work/tooling required for this swan song model contributed to the collapse of Perdio. The development costs must have been massive for such a small company. John.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Perdio dual..jpg
Views:	228
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	156828  
Closed Thread