UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Jul 2017, 10:54 am   #1
terrybull
Octode

Default Does this bring back memories

I was going through a box of PW mags and nestling in the bottom found this. Torn from an old envelope it appears to be a shopping list/price list for some project or other. Reminded me of similar lists I made but decimal money had just started when I began playing with electronics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	145593  
Old 4th Jul 2017, 11:06 am   #2
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: Does this bring back memories

It was written following the curve of the torn scrap of paper. Even the paper shows the difference in wealth of most people between then and now!

As a kid I made up shopping lists for projects I had no hope of affording. A bunch of us at school concocted lists of ideal hifi systems, rather like those fantasy football teams of more recent times. Quad 33/303 figured strongly, Thorens turntables were de rigeur. Akai GXC200D or something like that...

David

David
Old 4th Jul 2017, 5:04 pm   #3
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Any 'points' for spotting that the company that list was intended for was most likely Home Radio of Mitcham?
Old 5th Jul 2017, 4:23 pm   #4
Peter88gate
Tetrode

Funny you should say that! I was just thinking that could almost be one of my parts lists for a trip to Home Radio at 187 London Road, Mitcham (later at 240 London Road). I often paid them a visit, but also ordered by post sending a Postal Order as I had no bank account in those far off days of the 1960s!

Peter
Old 5th Jul 2017, 5:00 pm   #5
dazzlevision
Dekatron

In the late 60s, whilst still at secondary school, our Physics teacher would order components for us from "Radiospares", using headed school notepaper. All we had to do was provide a suitable Postal Order to pay for them!
Old 5th Jul 2017, 5:34 pm   #6
Biggles
Rest in Peace

There was a similar shop in High Bridge street in Newcastle upon Tyne in the Seventies. Every Saturday, queues out of the door. Every kid into electronics was there ordering odd bits and bobs for the latest project. I think the owners probably predicted the demand for particular components by reading the various magazines of the day. This was long before mail order was the norm, and competition from "electronics superstores". They were affectionately known as Tommy Aitken's, and I was a regular customer. My long suffering Dad used to work near the shop and I often sent him off with a long list, eagerly waiting his return home with the goods, which he had probably spent a good portion of his lunch break queuing for! Like many others, the shop is long gone. Times have changed.
Alan.
Old 5th Jul 2017, 5:48 pm   #7
MrBungle
Dekatron

I still do this. Albeit on spreadsheets.
Closed Thread