UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Apr 2014, 11:23 am   #21
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Default Re: Advice on removing vintage TV from loft

When you think about it someone had to lift the set up though the loft hatch in first place. I remember removing a Philips Style 70 TV out of a attic. I climbed into loft, placed the set at the edge of the hatch, shouted "watch out" and kicked it out. The set landed in one piece on the mattress I placed place under the hatch.

DFWB.
Old 20th Apr 2014, 12:55 pm   #22
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

I'm surprised you found a serviceable mattress off that pile dumped on the village green David. It appeared to be the same pile, plus a few burnt out Hillman Hunters and the odd perambulator that were around ten years ago..

It's all a matter of familiarity. I was always into the loft at home even as a young lad and this continued throughout my working career, installing aerials and bringing down items for elderly customers, some of which were very heavy. You just learn how to juggle things. J.
Old 20th Apr 2014, 1:11 pm   #23
Anthony Thomas
Hexode

I like the idea of the lifting bag mentioned in post #19 together with a block and tackle ropes and a plank to slide the big boy down along.

Be good or be carefull.
Tony
Old 20th Apr 2014, 1:32 pm   #24
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

As someone who needs to single-handedly elevate and lower stuff like AR88s, Ford "Kent" cylinder-blocks, 19-inch rack Pye base-stations and Hillman-Imp transaxles from the attic I always do it using a net and a pair of x10 pulleys.

Trying to slide things down loft-ladders without restraint is a mug's game that will result in trapped fingers: it's much easier to drop the load vertically.

With a x10 block-and-tackle you can net up the load in the attic adjacent to the access-hole, then come down and remove the access-ladder - you then use the B&T to lift the load a bit so it swings out and is suspended above the access-hole and then gently lower it down. A x10 pulley-set means you can feed line in and bring it down gently while - this is important - not standing below the load.
Old 20th Apr 2014, 1:35 pm   #25
greenstar
Octode

I would agree with the use of a rope, taken around the set with pads to prevent scratches - the thing being that the person above can take the weight and lower, so that the poor sod below does not find himself holding a large delicate object and not knowing what to do next - the rope allows, if all else fails, the person above to lower the thing to the floor. I did a similar thing recently to lower a large set down a loft ladder, entirely on my own.
Old 20th Apr 2014, 2:52 pm   #26
turretslug
Dekatron

Without the preferred solution of lifting bag or strong net, how about some old seat-belts strongly sewn at a cross as a secure sling? They'll be strong enough to lower a piano on, yet forgiving to surfaces.
Old 20th Apr 2014, 6:09 pm   #27
high_vacuum_house
Octode

Smile Re: Advice on removing vintage TV from loft

It might be an idea if it is easy to remove the chassis and/or the CRT from the set and take that down seperatly thereby reducing the weight.

I have recently put a set in the loft and I decided to remove the back cover so you can get a good grip of the cabinet at the back.
Christopher Capener
Old 20th Apr 2014, 6:27 pm   #28
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

One of those 'ton' bags with the handles used by the builders merchants to deliver sand and ballast may serve the purpose.
Oh, thinking about it you might have to take the roof off to crane it out.. Just a thought. J.
Old 20th Apr 2014, 7:23 pm   #29
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Might be a good idea to have a look in my attic. You never know there might be some TV22s up there.

DFWB.
Old 20th Apr 2014, 8:18 pm   #30
Herald1360
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamcurrent View Post
At work when rigging monitors to football gantries etc, we used a "lifting Bag", it was strong with handles that a rope could be attached to.
Ahhhh......

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...hlight=hessian

Still available........

.........O..Chris....O
Old 21st Apr 2014, 10:28 pm   #31
jay_oldstuff
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by turretslug View Post
Without the preferred solution of lifting bag or strong net, how about some old seat-belts strongly sewn at a cross as a secure sling? They'll be strong enough to lower a piano on, yet forgiving to surfaces.
Thats a very good suggestion. I use old seatbelts for lifting engines out when working on my cars and if they can suspend a Land Rover engine from my chain hoist then even the heaviest of TV's should be no trouble.
Old 22nd Apr 2014, 12:32 am   #32
Radio Wrangler

I think screwfix do a couple of sizes of mains powered winches. You just need to screw a stel beam across an awful lot of rafters, above the hatch. Telly in the bag, winch up, swing over hole, winch down. Either that or I've got a 3-ton Yale pul-lift which used to pull substation transformers into position. I can't imagine anything like the panasonic TX32PD in the lounge getting into an attic.

David
Old 22nd Apr 2014, 12:51 pm   #33
AC/HL
Dekatron

A colleague had a saying that has stayed with me:
"Everything is easy to he who doesn't have to do it himself"
Hope it goes/went well.
Old 22nd Apr 2014, 7:32 pm   #34
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

I had the perfect solution that worked well. The garage roof was an enermous waste of space and I decided to put a suspended floor in to make use of the storage area.

Great! I cut a removable hatch in the first half as can be seen in the picture and an old garage 2 Ton Block and Tackle was suspended from the substantial roof beams. Over the years the endless 'must be saved' junk was hauled aloft eventually covering the hatch...Add the old car underneath and the B & T became unusable.

I had a massive clear out a month or two back but not enough to clear the hatch area. Maybe next year.
The B & T has been used for other not related purposes and is a very useful lifting device. The chains have become a bit rusty but it still makes a nice clanking sound when you suspend something heavy mid air.

Mean while I have reverted to the 'lift and shove' method from a long ladder that enters the other half through another hatch [almost like David's Adaptor Plates] until I can clear the area around the original opening. Not really suitable for the odd job and you need to insure the roof timbers are in good condition. John.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B&T (1).jpg
Views:	200
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	91895   Click image for larger version

Name:	B&T (2).jpg
Views:	194
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	91896   Click image for larger version

Name:	B&T (3).jpg
Views:	203
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	91897   Click image for larger version

Name:	B&T (4).jpg
Views:	179
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	91898  
Old 23rd Apr 2014, 8:37 am   #35
Tazman1966
Nonode

A nice elaborate solution John.
Old 23rd Apr 2014, 9:41 am   #36
Radio Wrangler

I've recently been digging through my stock of quartz crystals to find one for a radio amateur north of the border. Nothing surprising there. It's for his antenna erection equipment.... the engine management system of the Scania chassis of a Bronto Skylift!

He uses it for putting antennae on masts the easy way. This could easily get that TV down, given a bit of work removing slates.

The things that people collect and restore can be amazing.
Old 23rd Apr 2014, 10:32 am   #37
evingar
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatercathodeshort View Post
I had the perfect solution that worked well. The garage roof was an enermous waste of space and I decided to put a suspended floor in to make use of the storage area.

Great! I cut a removable hatch in the first half as can be seen in the picture and an old garage 2 Ton Block and Tackle was suspended from the substantial roof beams. Over the years the endless 'must be saved' junk was hauled aloft eventually covering the hatch...Add the old car underneath and the B & T became unusable.
Good solution.

I've done something similar to my garage, but being a more modern (inferior) structure, I have to be careful with the loading.
Old 23rd Apr 2014, 12:21 pm   #38
Ti Pwun
Heptode

If you haven't already done the job, be sure to film it - if you have a mishap you at least want the opportunity to make some money via You've Been Framed!
Old 23rd Apr 2014, 3:36 pm   #39
German Dalek
Hexode

I didn`t read all posts.
Do it this way:
What age are they?

50s sets are easy to handle when pulling out the chassis.
The cabin with the picture tube is easy to move without the chassis!

As far they are good in condition, you could easyly damage the cabin with scatches,
because the openings in buildings are small.
Depending on the construction it will be a simple way to remove
the picture tube, too.
A cardboard box will ship the CRTs save down to the car.

Don`t you like to show us pictures of your treasure place?

German Dalek

MARC BOLAN, he was/is the real king of Pop Music!
Old 24th Apr 2014, 7:04 pm   #40
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Yes Nick, We must see the final extraction. After partial demolition of the house you will probably discover they are about to fall to bits with woodworm and both have O/C CRT heaters...Now that would be cruel..

Saying that I once discovered a 12" HMV console [1811] in a customers loft. At a distance it looked in good condition and I was told if I could get it down, I could have it.
I made my way towards it through all the choking dust and gave the cabinet a pull.
It promply feel to dust! The cabinet was completely eaten through with woodworm. It was like a huge egg box. The CRT fell out [I still have it] and the wheatabix like wood sides gave way resulting in the chassis crashing to the floor of the loft. I have never seen such an eaten cabinet, totally consumed. Pity because it was otherwise a very clean receiver. Nothing else in the loft was infected. You can laugh about it now! J.
Closed Thread