UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Feb 2014, 8:31 pm   #21
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Default Re: Fault Of Horror! (BRC 950/960)

The long warm up can be very perplexing. Something must happen to the heater assembly in the valves that are fed through the H.T. line. They appear to go slightly low resistance but will work quite normally in a conventional chain. Replacing all four and you must change all four with NEW valves will reduce the warm up time from raster to around thirty seconds.
It really is most odd but I have discovered a number of CRT heaters fed from a winding on the LOPT display similar symptoms. Running them from a CRT transformer restores emission. Note I am not including heaters with partial shorts. These are CRT heaters that appear to have changed characteristics when run from unconventional supplies. John.
Old 23rd Feb 2014, 1:30 am   #22
FERNSEH
Dekatron

It was the BRC/Thorn 980 series in which the bias for the 30PL14 frame output valve was derived from the heater supply. From page 504 of the 1967/68 R & T servicing book: "the frame output valve, V10B, is negatively biased from the DC heater line at the junction of V8 and V4 heaters".

DFWB.
Old 25th Feb 2014, 11:07 am   #23
Focus Diode
Octode

A big thank you to everyone again for your help. I have some components on order from CPC and will get back to the set in the latter half of next week.

Cheers,
Brian
Old 1st Mar 2014, 11:20 pm   #24
Focus Diode
Octode

Got to re-install the dropper capacitor in the set this evening. Earlier in the week I found the original 4.33uF capacitor had bulged and had leaked oil though thankfully not to the extent of Dazzlevision's experience.

Utilising all due health and safety proceedures I set about removing the interior of the capacitor using a conventional high speed drill. The interior was removed and thoroughly washed out with meths.

Apoligies for the quality of some of the photos, not having the decent camera to hand at the time I resorted to the lower quality one and found the images out of focus on up-loading them.

The 4uF 425V AC replacement is nearly as long as the original though thinner in construction. This fitted inside the original can capacitor without problems though the additional X2 0.33uF 275V AC capacitor had to be soldered to it externally. The four tags of the new capacitor were certainly of help here. A new 470K 1W resistor was also wired across it as the original circuit. The new capacitor was secured inside the original can type with, ahem, Blue Tack then re-fitted to the set and soldered up.

Switch on, selected to UHF 625-lines with the multimeter set to the AC volts range. The volts gradually climbed from 40V, stabilising at 96-97V with a nice colour to the valve and CRT heaters visually. A narrow raster appeared which slowly opened out to full scan. Another 45 seconds later the signals slowly faded in followed by the sound, unlocked as expected though quickly adjusted with the user hold control. Thankfully the CRT and other valves appear to have survived the earlier overload. Performance on 405-lines showed all was well here too.

There's other issues with the set such as full setting up and re-spraying the silver screen CRT surround, having now found the ideal Satin Chrome colour which is closest to the original "HMV Silver" as I call it. This is beyond the scope of the current thread and will be attended to towards the latter half of next week.

I once again wish to express my gratitude and appreciation to those who've expressed and interest and for the helpful suggestions offered from members of this great forum.

Cheers,
Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4.33uF capacitor before dismantled.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	89645   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.33uF capacitor drained and opened.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	89646   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.33uF capacitor emptied and cleaned.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	89647   Click image for larger version

Name:	The new capacitor.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	89650   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.33uF capacitor with new fitted.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	89651  

Last edited by Focus Diode; 1st Mar 2014 at 11:32 pm. Reason: corrections
Old 1st Mar 2014, 11:25 pm   #25
Focus Diode
Octode

More photos to add.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Installed Capacitor.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	89659   Click image for larger version

Name:	Chassis with re-installed capacitor.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	89660   Click image for larger version

Name:	AC voltage at dropper capacitor.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	89661   Click image for larger version

Name:	A Good Start.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	89662   Click image for larger version

Name:	First signals.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	89663  

Last edited by Focus Diode; 1st Mar 2014 at 11:48 pm.
Old 1st Mar 2014, 11:29 pm   #26
Focus Diode
Octode

And more!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	625 test card.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	89657   Click image for larger version

Name:	405-lines.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	89658  

Last edited by Focus Diode; 1st Mar 2014 at 11:41 pm.
Old 2nd Mar 2014, 12:24 am   #27
Maarten
Dekatron

It almost seems as if someone blanked out some text on the original capacitor. Any clue as to why that was done and when? It doesn't seem to have anything to do with date codes or warranty fraud.
Old 2nd Mar 2014, 9:49 am   #28
TrevorM6TSE
Heptode

Yes I was confused by that? It almost looks post photo?
Old 2nd Mar 2014, 10:03 am   #29
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Hello,

I see from the first picture in post #25, that the tagstrips (with the wirewound resistors mounted on them) has been replaced (in part) at some time in the set's past. The upper sections are post-factory and are of a somewhat different type to the originals.

There was an official Thorn mod to re-arrange the wiring on these tagstrips in order to reduce the risk of overheating/tracking. It's in an old "BRC Bulletin" publication.

I'm glad you have restored the set to working order.

Missing from your set is an aluminium heat deflector that fits below the PCL86 sound output area, to keep most of the heat from the PL504/PY801 away.

Regards,

Dazzlevision

Last edited by dazzlevision; 2nd Mar 2014 at 10:05 am. Reason: Added text.
Old 2nd Mar 2014, 10:19 am   #30
Focus Diode
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maarten View Post
It almost seems as if someone blanked out some text on the original capacitor. Any clue as to why that was done and when?
I blanked out the manufacturer's name as this is a public forum. Didn't want to risk causing any upset to them, (assuming they're still manufacturing capacitors), by giving the impression their components are troublesome.

I understand some 960 models were fitted with a 4.33uF capacitor from a different manufacturer which would be equally suspect.

Dazzlevision- I wasn't aware the set was missing an aluminium heat deflector. Many thanks for letting me know. Perhaps we can have a pic of your Ferguson model?

Cheers,
Brian

Last edited by Focus Diode; 2nd Mar 2014 at 10:23 am. Reason: Typing error corrected
Old 2nd Mar 2014, 11:30 am   #31
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzlevision View Post
Missing from your set is an aluminium heat deflector that fits below the PCL86 sound output area, to keep most of the heat from the PL504/PY801 away
Typical sloppy sixties style of TV servicing. Screening around the line output stage, tuner covers missing and the like was the norm in those times.
It's not if there was any real effort required replacing these parts.

DFWB.
Old 2nd Mar 2014, 12:21 pm   #32
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus Diode View Post
Dazzlevision- I wasn't aware the set was missing an aluminium heat deflector. Many thanks for letting me know. Perhaps we can have a pic of your Ferguson model?
Hello,

Certainly, although it is rather buried in my "museum", so will take a while to unearth!
Old 2nd Mar 2014, 4:18 pm   #33

Blu-tac should get a mention in this https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=102294 thread (improvising with houshold items).

Old 2nd Mar 2014, 11:55 pm   #34
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

I am glad it's nearly all sorted and no damage was done. All in all a very interesting set.
Old 3rd Mar 2014, 12:22 am   #35
Tazman1966
Nonode

An interesting set indeed.
Old 3rd Mar 2014, 3:02 pm   #36
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Hi
Glad it's going again. I doubt any manufacturer would be too upset that a component of theirs failed after fifty years! Most modern capacitors struggle to reach five...
Glyn
Old 6th Apr 2014, 4:10 pm   #37
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Hello,

Whilst getting one of my "museum" sets out of the store, I also opened up my Ferguson 3638 16" 960 chassis set, in order to take a few pictures of the chassis, which may be of interest:

Two showing the aluminium heat deflector fitted below the PCL86 audio sub chassis. It's made of two pieces rivetted together.

One showing the whole chassis.

One showing the card insulator that should be present at the very bottom of the chassis.

One showing the tag strip upon which several wirewound resistors are mounted, including the adjustanble one that sets the series heater current of the four valves in the negative HT line (early versions of the chassis only).

One shoping the paper information label stuck to tyhe LOP stage screen.

Regards,

dazzlevision
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ferguson 3638 view of complete chassis.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	91220   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ferguson 3638 view of PLC86 heat deflector plate 1.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	91221   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ferguson 3638 view of PLC86 heat deflector plate 2.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	91222   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ferguson 3638 view of wirewound resistors tagstrip.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	91223   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ferguson 3638 view of paper label on LOP screen.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	91224  

Old 6th Apr 2014, 4:12 pm   #38
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Finally, a close up of the warning printed on the insulator fitted at the very bottom of the chassis.

Dazzlevision
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ferguson 3638 bottom of chassis card insulator.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	91225  
Old 6th Apr 2014, 5:39 pm   #39
Focus Diode
Octode

Many thanks for these interesting uploads Dazzlevision, always very interesting to see another example of these sets. Annoying to think on my example the audio stage screening cover was omitted during its history. I now see a protection card has also been omitted. I guess this must cover the PCB as the bottom ventilation slots are quite large.

Excellent uploads, many thanks again. Any chance of a view of the front of the set please?

Cheers,
Brian
Old 6th Apr 2014, 6:24 pm   #40
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Exclamation Re: Fault Of Horror! (BRC 950/960)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus Diode View Post
Any chance of a view of the front of the set please?
Hello,

I'm afraid the missing screen and insulator are typical of the lazy attitude to repairs by some "technicians". These often compromise safety or reliability. There are bodgers in most trades.

I've put my Ferguson 3638 back into storage again. I will take a front picture soon.

Dazzlevision
Closed Thread