UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Jun 2017, 5:53 pm   #21
Herald1360
Dekatron

Default Re: Asbestos heat insulation

Dunno.... it's supposed to be non melting up to 200C but not recommended above that (formaldehyde fumes!), so I guess a temperature check of the inner surface of the asbestos would be sensible.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 20th Jun 2017, 6:17 pm   #22
emeritus
Dekatron

Re #13, I still have an almost full tin: it was made by Philplug, not Rawlplug, and was called "Screwfix", no connection with the current well-known hardware suppliers! I only used it once, circa 1977, and it has been sitting at the bottom of my box of traditional fibre Rawlplugs for decades. AFAIR I mixed up some in the palm of one hand and moistened it with spit! Nothing on the tin or instruction leaflet as to what it is made of. It certainly worked well. I remember that it did come with a pricker, but that has got lost

Nowadays I use a polystyrene filler such as Plastic Padding or Ronseal wood filler (as no-one seems to stock Plastic Padding at present) to fill enlarged holes, and use the technique for tapping machine screw threads: drill a hole of slightly larger diameter than the root of the woodscrew, and then screw in the screw.

Having got to 70 despite living with lead paint, asbestos cement bunsen burner mats, and having used asbestos string as a gasket to extend the length of the chimney liner of the gas central heating I installed in the mid-1970's (when it was legal to do so), I am not overly concerned at the low levels of exposure that I might have had. AFAIK the real danger lies with inhalation of fine dust of the blue and brown varieties; a relative who was a garage mechanic is now very ill with lung problems, probably as a consequence of brake dust inhalation years ago. I think they used to use brown asbestos in brake linings.

Not something I have tried, but thinking of asbestos cement roofing and water pipes, would a wash of liquid Portland cement work? It ought to withstand high temperatures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screwfix 1 .jpg
Views:	111
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	144784   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screwfix 2 .jpg
Views:	366
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	144785  

Last edited by emeritus; 20th Jun 2017 at 6:30 pm.
Old 20th Jun 2017, 6:23 pm   #23
bluepilot
Heptode

Let's not get carried away by this. How many of the people reading this thread drink alcohol? Hands up, be honest. Alcohol is a class 1 carcinogen. A study in 2011 found that 1 in 10 cancers in men are caused by alcohol, so why ignore that and worry about a small piece of thermal insulation?. The chances of dropping down dead due to a bit of asbestos in an old radio are negligible. Probably a bit less that being hit by a meteorite.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/scie...meteorite.html
(Note that this was a "space" meteorite which distinguishes it from um er well what other sorts of meteorite are there actually?)

Restore the asbestos in the same way you would any other part. If it looks tatty replace it with some modern equivalent. Otherwise vacuum the dust off and leave it where it is. You'll do far more harm poking it about than leaving it safely hidden away in your old radio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emeritus View Post
Not something I have tried, but thinking of asbestos cement roofing and water pipes, would a wash of liquid Portland cement work? It ought to withstand high temperatures.
Yes, a bit of "Eternit" might work. In Germany they have houses covered all over with it and it doesn't seem to have any ill effects.

The golden age is always yesterday - Asa Briggs

Last edited by bluepilot; 20th Jun 2017 at 6:27 pm. Reason: Added last sentence
Closed Thread