UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Feb 2006, 11:34 pm   #1
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Default Conversion of the HMV 904 to use a 5F4 CRT

I have just received the attached PDF document from Hugo Holden who feels it will be of interest to some of you and asked for it to be posted here.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf CONVERSION OF THE HMV 904 TO USE A 5F4 CRT.pdf (884.9 KB, 262 views)

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 28th Feb 2006, 12:25 am   #2
Steve_McVoy
Pentode

Default Re: Conversion of the HMV 904 to use a 5F4 CRT

5FP4s are relatively hard to find. Another tube that works well is the 5AXP4, which was the first universal test tube made in the U.S. They are easy to find and physically very similar to the 5FP4.

I used one of them to replace the CRT in our Pye 817 when the Emiscope 3/1 (not the original tube) that came with the set failed:

http://www.earlytelevision.org/pye_817.html
Old 28th Feb 2006, 9:04 am   #3
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Conversion of the HMV 904 to use a 5F4 CRT

Thanks for this valuable information. I have a Marconiphone 706 (= HMV 904) and thankfully the CRT is still usable. It's far from perfect but I see no reason (yet) to make the set non-original just to get rid of the ion burn and get a bit more brightness. It might be worth acquiring a 5AXP4 against the day that my CRT fails.
Closed Thread