UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Dec 2010, 1:23 pm   #1
Valvepower
Octode

Default Mullard Outlook from 1960

Hi,

Here is the complete copy of the 1960 Mullard Outlook. Whilst I was at it I found a few more and I’ve scanned these and I’ll up load them over the next week or so. If I were to post all of them in one go I’ll exceed the upload limit.

Terry.
Attached Files
File Type: zip 12_60.zip (825.4 KB, 504 views)
File Type: zip 02_60.zip (722.6 KB, 322 views)
Old 8th Dec 2010, 12:02 pm   #2
ENGLISH VICTOR
Hexode

Default Re: Mullard Outlook from 1960

Very good material, much appreciated.
Victor.
Old 8th Dec 2010, 1:09 pm   #3

Great, keep 'em comming!

Old 12th Dec 2010, 8:45 pm   #4
Duke_Nukem
Octode

These outlooks are an excellent source of technical information and invariably have an interesting photo on the front. At some stage I'm hoping to put the technical sections on line. So far I've only scanned what I have up to 1959 (have later copies - just not scanned yet).

I've uploaded just the preview webpage of the copies I have (to '59) to here (don't they look pretty!) - the picture for Sep52 would be particularly scary if that thing wasn't just a model .

These Outlooks often included additional items, sometimes in the form of display advertising material as well as other things such as order forms for valve tester cards.

TTFN,
Jon
Old 12th Dec 2010, 9:14 pm   #5
Valvepower
Octode

Hi,

I’ve uploaded three more Mulard Outlook bulletins.

April 65, Aug 60 & Nov 56.

Jon, feel free to use these on your web site.

Terry.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 04_65.pdf (374.5 KB, 677 views)
File Type: pdf 08_60.pdf (578.6 KB, 740 views)
File Type: pdf 11_56.pdf (512.0 KB, 338 views)
Old 12th Dec 2010, 10:21 pm   #6
Duke_Nukem
Octode

Hi Terry, thanks, I'll take you up on the offer

Interestingly, the first edition makes reference to the filmstrips now replacing their previous "lantern slides" for educational purposes - the slides being pre war. I wonder if any of these slides survive ?

TTFN,
Jon
Old 16th Dec 2010, 10:37 pm   #7
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Gents, this and similar threads look like becoming a good resource. I've attached a copy of a Mullard reprint that was in WW probably in the 50's. I have a good few of these on valve and circuit applications, has anyone an index to them, or were they published in other places?

Jon, can you give me an idea of what needs to be done to these documents so they can be easily added to your site.

Ref the request about a Mullard article on FM set design; there is a Mullard booklet on that, I'll post details when I find my copy.

Ed
Old 17th Dec 2010, 10:35 pm   #8
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Folks, it apppears my upload did not work, I'll try again later.

Mellard book is located; it was in the spiral bound format of the valve data books and called "Television & frequency modulation", about 270pages and covers most aspects of TV and FM set design using valves. A very interesting book; possibly the information was culled fron the Philips Tech Library series as it does not go into things quite so deeply.

Ed
Old 18th Dec 2010, 4:40 pm   #9
brunel
Heptode

OUTLOOK OCT 1961

12 pages, had to make 3 PDF's to keep under the file size limit.

If you want to see them in high resolution graphics:

http://picasaweb.google.com/ikbrunel...eat=directlink
Old 18th Dec 2010, 9:00 pm   #10
Duke_Nukem
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_Dinning
Jon, can you give me an idea of what needs to be done to these documents so they can be easily added to your site.
Still thinking the best way of hosting them. For example, as entire outlook editions, or separate into topics (for example they often run a series over half a dozen issues) and so on. I usually prefer originals as 300dpi or 600dpi grayscale (or colour if appropriate) so they can be sized/tweaked as required to keep resulting PDF size manageble for the website. I'm working on an article for the website on scanning.

Also, some subjects might be better presented converted to a real web page instead of scans which will make them more searchable (e.g. via google),for example the snippets here and there on replacing CRT's with different types. Thats why instead of posting scans for some articles here I instead rendered them as HTML.

Attached is the very first edition of outlook from Sept 50. (Unfortunately I'm now using a later version of MS Word which is even more infuriating than the last one - my swear box brimeth over). Compromised to keep colour headers but 2-colour main text to try and keep the pdf size manageable. Don't know whether to bother with the commercial sections (orange headers) or not - occasional interesting snippets in them but its the techy sections i think most people will find interesting.

TTFN,
Jon
Attached Files
File Type: pdf v1n1.pdf (804.3 KB, 232 views)
Old 18th Dec 2010, 9:16 pm   #11
techiesteve
Pentode

Most interesting seeing these old Outlooks. I can only remember them from 1966 when I started work as an apprentice TV engineer. I can remember building a small 12V amplifier using an AD161 and AD162 in the o/p from an Outlook schematic.
Old 18th Dec 2010, 10:21 pm   #12
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Jon, thanks for the input and I look forward to the finished guidelines.
I have many Mullard and philips tech docs and access to a good scanner at work; this should hopefully take some od the effort of you.

Best regards, Ed
Old 21st Dec 2010, 9:24 pm   #13
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Gents, now attached the Mullard EL37 amp from their series of app notes in WW. I have about 20 of these covering all aspects of valve design from oscilloscope amps and timebases to TV circuits.

Ed
Attached Files
File Type: pdf mullard amps.pdf (308.2 KB, 322 views)
Old 21st Dec 2010, 10:48 pm   #14
Duke_Nukem
Octode

Off work for a couple of days and snow keeping me in, I've made a start on the Outlook publications. The first twelve issues are available via this link. Just click on the month to go to that month's page where there is a PDF download link at the bottom.

There are some subjects that span many issues and the plan is to combine those parts into seperate PDFs at some stage. For now I've just done one one basic CRT operation which is available on this page (scroll down to the Mullard Outlook section).

I've kept the commercial sections - they do have some interesting stuff in them, though mainly its the technical sections that'll be of any interest.

Enjoy.

TTFN,
Jon

PS : Let me know if you find any duff links or spilling mestokes (I caught way more than average myself so there are bound to be more).
Old 21st Dec 2010, 11:12 pm   #15
oldticktock
Retired Dormant Member

Wow! cheers Jon your one of Santa's helpers, what a fantastic xmas pressy that's my xmas reading sorted.

Chris
Old 24th Dec 2010, 10:22 am   #16
Synchrodyne
Nonode

First class - thanks, Jon! These fill in a lot of gaps about valve history and the like.

Cheers,
Old 24th Dec 2010, 12:00 pm   #17
kalee20
Dekatron

Great work Jon!

I have a few Mullard Outlooks - early 1960's so heading into the transistor era (although there is an article on 'direct vision picture tubes') - which I got from my school in the late 1970's. I will look these out and make available.
Old 30th Jan 2011, 8:53 pm   #18
kalee20
Dekatron

Here is Mullard Outlook Dec 1956. This follows on from Terry Valvepower's Nov 56, earlier post.

Four pages (split over two pdf's to keep within the file size limit), but no big picture on any of them - could it be that there is another sheet that I don't have? All my Outlooks are like this. I hope to get them all scanned - if there is enough demand.

Jon Duke Nukem - feel free to use on your own web site.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Mullard Outlook Dec 56a.pdf (1.66 MB, 353 views)
File Type: pdf Mullard Outlook Dec 56b.pdf (1.68 MB, 268 views)
Old 5th Feb 2011, 1:51 am   #19
Synchrodyne
Nonode

Hi kalee20 – thanks for that, more good stuff!

The HT from LT article is very interesting. It creates the impression that transistor inverters suitable for powering electronic were commercially available by then (December 1956). Hybrid car radio receivers were also briefly mentioned, with the comment that only specially developed valve types could be used! I imagine that the ensuing 12 V HT valve range would have been featured in Outlook during 1957, and with no mention of their alleged conventional prototypes. This topic has been discussed previously at: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=38672.

Cheers,
Old 5th Feb 2011, 9:59 pm   #20
kalee20
Dekatron

Dunno if transistor inverters were commercially available by then, although they probably started to come into existence as part of larger equipment.

When I first read this article, at 15 years of age, I was hooked on the idea! (Incidentally, the phasing of the secondary is vital.)

But whatever - here are a couple more. Not from the 1950's unfortunately - I only had the one. Several from the 1960's coming up though...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Mullard Outlook July 64a.pdf (1.24 MB, 246 views)
File Type: pdf Mullard Outlook July 64b.pdf (1.12 MB, 298 views)
File Type: pdf Mullard Outlook Aug 64a.pdf (1.21 MB, 406 views)
File Type: pdf Mullard Outlook Aug 64b.pdf (1.17 MB, 222 views)
Closed Thread