UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Feb 2011, 5:30 pm   #1
IanNVJ35
Heptode

Default VHS Hi-Fi through headphones

Do any of you listen to your tapes over headphones? Due to living in an older house (where the walls transmit TV noise to next door) I am using headphones. It seems to me that there is a problem with this system, but any way of mitigating it would be appreciated. Perhaps that is why headphone sockets were removed from VCR's?

On pre-recorded films and recordings on other machines I often get a distracting thththth sound when there is something with a high treble content playing (like a triangle or chimes). Also, this level and style of noise pumps with volume and even screen content. I understand how the sound is laid down on the film, but over headphones the sound can be distracting. Perhaps Hi-Fi was really only designed to be used on the deck the tape was recorded on?

Sometimes linear audio is prefereable.

Your thoughts and experiences welcomed.
Old 1st Feb 2011, 6:58 pm   #2
Jamie-Skinner
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: VHS Hi-Fi through headphones

I get that with most HI-FI's and anything else really. Our neighbors are so loud anyway and keep us awake! So there's nothing wrong with me using my 1200W Amp to run everything through..

Maybe put the speakers ON the wall you share with your neighbors. That way the sound won't echo into their house? Or use a nearby bookshelf to stop sound reaching "The others".

Last edited by Station X; 1st Feb 2011 at 10:32 pm. Reason: GI
Old 2nd Feb 2011, 1:41 am   #3
ben
Dekatron

Sounds like head switching noise, or some problem with the FM audio decoding in the VCR.
Old 2nd Feb 2011, 3:51 pm   #4
Studio263
Octode

Try adjusting the tracking manually, although some noise is inevitable as the sound is continuous but the heads are not in contact with the tape for the whole time (for the picture this does not matter because of the gap between the frames).

Worn heads are another cause of excessive background noise, especially if it takes the form of random pops and crackles. This may show up worse when playing pre-recorded tapes and tapes made on other machines. Normally one notices sound problems long before the picture looks bad with hi-fi machines.
Closed Thread